How to return alt+enter to its prior functionality

1. Go to your local roblox folder (C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Roblox\Versions)

2. Find the last modified folder (most recent version)

3. Inside that folder, create a folder called “ClientSettings”

4. Inside the ClientSettings folder, paste in this JSON file
    ClientAppSettings.json (49 Bytes)

5. Join any game and it should work.

End result should look like:

This fix utilizes a single line JSON file in order to edit a FFlag. If you don’t feel comfortable downloading mine you can create a JSON file with the same name and paste this into it:
{"FFlagHandleAltEnterFullscreenManually":"False"}

52 Likes

What was ‘its prior functionality’? I never used it, so I won’t miss it I guess. Just curious.

For many people it drastically reduces input latency and makes your game run smoother

5 Likes

Thanks for the guide! Hopefully we’ll see a return to the Alt Enter functionality soon, or atleast for us who really care about it, hopefully the fflag that allows us to reenable the functionality stays around.

5 Likes

Okay, so I shot myself in the foot based on your ‘fix’. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, so I applied your fix and tried Alt-Enter. It made my display perform worse than before, noticeable screen jittering/tearing. Then when I tried to Alt-Enter out of full screen the display went to a kind of mini full-screen off to the side and window not movable. So, I went to undo the fix. Now, I have the problem that started the thread which your fix was posted in(which I never had before) that my roblox game is now not respecting my windows 125% size setting and the game is running at max resolution (tiny icons, text, etc). Now I have to figure out how to undo that.

So, to others considering this fix. If you’ve never used alt-enter with roblox and aren’t having any issues, don’t try this fix.

2 Likes

Alt-enter does mess with the display scaling, which is the reason this occurred in the first place.
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/game-client-not-respecting-windows-display-scale-settings/988827/11
The performance changes is mostly noticeable to those on higher refresh rate displays, but as you mentioned, it does mess with vsync and other settings. To those that use it actively though (like myself), there is a noticeable change in input delay, frame rate, etc. For me specifically, not having alt enter often meant that framerate appeared lower than what ROBLOX was supposedly rendering as shown by Shift F5. If you don’t know or care about it, however, it’s best that you not use it. The effects of it are often different for different people however, and sometimes seemingly random. On rare occasions, there will seem to be no stuttering from a non alt-entered game, and sometimes it will reach the point where it feels like the game is at 20 FPS.

On a side note, outside of the developer community and where usage is alt+enter is most common (war clans,) there has been a lot of positive reports and feedback about this fflag being used to restore the functionality that a lot of people rely on. This fix seems to be working as intended for a large amount of people, and hopefully at the very least the fflag stays around.

3 Likes

Okay, but the Alt-Enter fix and subsequent usage of alt-enter and reversion back to the disabled alt-ent client setting caused Roblox on my pc to now ignore my windows display scaling.

And this right here, fixed it:

It would seem that using Alt-Enter with the ‘fixed’ Client settings created this HIGHDIPAWARE reg key on my system which I had to delete.

1 Like

I think I read your post wrong. I thought you were saying it doesn’t mess with display scaling, my bad.

For those that need this fix, one problem you’re gonna run into with that fflag thing is that you’ll have to reapply it every time the client gets updated.

1 Like

Those of you running into performance issues with the new Alt+Enter behavior, would you mind messaging me with system and OS specs and more details about the problem? We can implement native fullscreen without having to delegate it to DXGI, but in my experiments I was never able to notice any performance degradation or increased latency either way. This has been brought up before, so I’m sure there are circumstances in which this does happen, so if I could gather some information about what systems are affected that would help me come up with a better solution. Thanks!

11 Likes

Thanks for making a tutorial on this!
I really hope that Roblox implements an option for this, as well as other GFX options (AA, V-Sync, etc.).

Note that what Alt+Enter does is now the exact same as what F11 does.
Here’s my specs since you asked for them:

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K
Video Card: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 16GB @ 3200 MHz
Monitor: 60Hz

Personally for me I’ve had no problems with this, I’d assume it’s due to my graphics card.

I’m a bit concerned about this, could you expand please? Is it really the same? Is there any other difference?

Yeah, so basically without the fix applied Alt+Enter will put you into the default fullscreen (borderless windowed). AKA the Fullscreen option in the options menu.

Alt+Enter is great, it improves performance and is so much better. The reason why you’re having “screen-tearing” is because Roblox FORCES V-sync, and if you have the RBX FPS unlocker and this enabled you will have a great FPS bump. For me, it’s 40 / 50 more than the F11 mode.

1 Like

For me using Alt+Enter improves performance even without an FPS Unlocker. But when I do use it, I can get 40/60/70 FPS MORE than without using Alt+Enter. I’m not sure why Alt+Enter’s original functionality is still disabled, I don’t think it caused any glitches, giving that a lot of other platforms use native fullscreen with no problem.

Can we get an update to this please? It has been 2 months at this point and this was a great feature, now I have to change some files every week (every time roblox updates), which is really annoying!

3 Likes

Is this gonna get fixed? It is really annoying having to do this every time roblox updates weekly.

5 Likes