I can no longer undock the viewport in Studio

Yeah, it’s a possibility but it would make a few things so much harder to work with.
For example, I want to preview my desktop UI in fullscreen so I can see exactly how it will be in the game.
Or because while working on a 1920x1080 display some pixels would be lost when not viewing the 3D Viewport in fullscreen (and yes I had problems with this many times, especially since the Viewport is a little larger than fullscreen).
Or like Onett already mentioned it makes the workflow unnecessarily harder because you always have to switch between scripts and the Viewport.

2 Likes

As I said… If it’s temporary i can live with it. If it’s not then I expect an alternative to be in the works, QUICKLY.

1 Like

completely untrue, in many cases as people have described, docking it on a second screen can massively help with Ui development and screen recording for animators and game trailers.

Edit: I agree that it is an issue that you can’t always find the vp, so would be nice to have a message where the viewport was to say “viewport in popout mode, Click here to return”

1 Like

This does not do what I need it to. There are so many steps required to hide everything and there would still be a bunch of junk on my screen preventing me from taking a proper screenshot. I constantly switch between fully using Roblox Studio to make my game and needing it to all hide while I take a screenshot so needing to go back and forth, hiding and revealing the ribbon bar and my docked windows is just nuts.

I cannot let this feature go until we get something like a proper fullscreen mode for the viewport.

I can understand this change being to work around some instability in some niche scenarios, but I like many others have said, never had any issues and have only been impacted negatively by this change. Simply having a new setting within Roblox Studio that enables the undocking of the viewport with a warning of bugs and instability would be perfectly fine and I know Roblox can do that.

I really do loathe this approach that Roblox takes where they treat the users of their product as completely incapable of taking their own calculated but informed risks. I now know this feature can cause instability. If I experience any issues, I’ll know what to disable first. Now… let me get back to work!

3 Likes

Don’t know if this is related, but here goes.
I have my main screen with the veiwport open and the toolbar up top. No worries with having scripts open at the top of the viewscreen.
All my other windows are open on my secondary screen. I usually have Terrain, Toolbox, Properties, Explorer, and Output open.
The Properties and Explorer windows are full screen height on my secondary screen.
The last few days when I open Studio the Explorer, Properties and Output window are about 1 cm higher on my secondary screen which means the Properties and Output windows have their top (draggable) bar hidden above the screen area. The bottom edge of each window rises up so the window size isn’t changing.
I can only move the windows down by dragging the bottom edge of each one up to the top limit, which allows a small portion of the top edge to appear, which I can drag down and then resize the window.
Frustrating!

2 Likes

please bring this back, i require this for doing ui work and placing the viewport on my other monitor which sufficiently speeds up my workflow between coding and adding ui elements.

3 Likes

I’ve put in another bug report about 2nd monitor users having issues and included more details about it.

The post is here: Studio windows on 2nd screen saving in different position off edge of screen

Another post I found with window issues:

same here I can’t it’s quite annoying

1 Like

This was never an issue on windows 10, do i really have to downgade?

It’s a bandaid to prevent issues when undocking the viewport, likely you upgraded just before this was rolled out, so downgrading won’t fix anything.

2 Likes

For some reason i docked my viewport after months, and now i can’t get it to my second screen anymore, and now i need to share it with my scripts or drag them every time i open a new one. Sigh

1 Like

This was actually an intentional band-aid fix meant to temporarily fix some issues when undocking the viewport, as I said in my reply just above yours:

That is what I was intending to convey using the word “band-aid” :sweat_smile: , as in, temporary.

2 Likes

This feature really needs to be given more attention to enable again. I made the same mistake of docking the viewport without knowing about this update and it hinders the speed at which I can navigate studio and put together UI. While I did find a work around for full screening studio on another screen (Link), it almost requires you to have a second monitor and the fullscreen view isn’t interactable. Furthermore, to interact with this fullscreen and any UI on it, you have to use scrolling bars to navigate the view of the screen from studio.

There is the fullscreen option “Fit to Window”, but that screen still ends up being smaller than a full-screen undocked viewport.

I’ve also seen people propose minimizing all widgets to get a full screen view. However, this doesn’t fully achieve what an undocked fullscreen viewport could before either.

It does get slightly close, but there is still a command bar at the bottom and the ribbon at the top. The main reason this process isn’t a good solution is because it requires you to minimize all widgets (as well as the large part of the ribbon) and then re-enable them afterwards. It gets very tedious to keep minimizing and maximizing each widget when you need to test.

I understand that it needed to be disabled to get rid of the vast amount of random bugs associated with it, but I think that it should be turned into a toggleable setting that is enabled by default. This would allow for the select few who actually used this trick to disable the lock and for people with the various viewport bugs out there to keep their viewport locked.

3 Likes

Fortunately, I believe it’s not permanent so I’ll just wait for them to fix it.

2 Likes

honestly agreed, this is just horrible that it’s been this long and no proper patch has been made to the bugs (whatever they were, as I never had any issues before hand).
Generative AI is cool and all, but not the most practical use of time I would say.

1 Like

Hey guys. I just wanted to update everyone who still might not have a solution to this. I recently just became aware of the RobloxStudioModManager which lets you edit FFlags for roblox studio. There is actually a flag that you can disable to allow movement for the viewport again.

Look up this flag name in the mod manager and override it to false:

Once you launch studio with the mod manager you should be able to move the previously locked viewport.

3 Likes

I have now tried this and it worked great! I had no idea this existed.

Roblox really should have an option for this somewhere in the settings. I really don’t like needing to use a third-party program to regain a removed feature. I understand the risk and would like to use the feature anyway.

I’m marking your post as the solution until Roblox develops an official one. (like that’ll ever happen though)

This is not a solution to the bug! Do not mark a hacky workaround as a solution. You will trigger your bug report to get closed. Do not misuse this feature.

4 Likes

You can now undock the 3D View if you turn on the Updated Docking System beta feature. You can learn more about this beta feature at the following link:
Docking Updates [Studio Beta] - Updates / Announcements - Developer Forum | Roblox

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.