Improved Water with the Shorelines Beta

This is a great update but…

I’m still waiting on the waves to be incorporated into collisions/simulations

7 Likes

Amazing update! I will certainly use this for my projects!

4 Likes

Amazing! I’ve been waiting for this for a long time

2 Likes

I’m thrilled that this finally released, I’ve been waiting a while for it. Does anyone know when we’ll receive features such as grass wind, cloud reflections on the water, and the cloud shadows?

9 Likes

Yes! This are good news since I just started a new project related to Terrain!!

2 Likes

Roblox made the choice to not render scenarios like two forcefield parts behind each other, or a forcefield part over smooth water terrain years ago and will not be changed anytime soon.

5 Likes

I noticed the hitbox seems to be slightly higher than intended; it’s easy to see when you put your camera close to it while looking upwards with wave size set to 0.

3 Likes

I am so glad something is being done about water, however after thinking about it, and testing it, I feel like this might be a step in the wrong direction. I feel like water should be made to be more like the other textures, where you can assign it to a part and have water parts, rather than making it, its own special case, especially one that has to be sort of post processed.

I realize this is early on, and a beta, but will this hurt any chance for water or any generic liquid texture that could be applied to parts?

6 Likes

roblox has been delivering some W’s recently first the IK controls now this? This engine is improving rapidly thank u rblx

3 Likes

I’m not sure what you are referring to since water is a material that you can paint with.

3 Likes

it’s good, but I would rather use blender for water instead of roblox’s terrain system

3 Likes

It’s annoying to have a vertically jagged shoreline where the water is up on the sides, and you can’t edit the artifacts out. I’m going to wait for the final version before I start using it though. With that being said, about time.

6 Likes

As a workaround you could lower the position of the seafloor part on the client when far away (since you wont be making contact anyway), but this is a hack of course.

4 Likes

This behavior may change.<

It’s not set in stone and graphics have massively advanced

4 Likes

I wonder how does this work behind the schenes. Does studio modify the voxel data? Or is it just an engine flag change?

3 Likes

Some people use the glass behavior so changing it could break games

2 Likes

Small update, it would be nice if we could have the water go on shore and stuff which is what i thought this update was. Though I guess this could be a starting point.

1 Like

Finally some nice update to water! I hope water will receive more updates in the future though. Is there any plans for option to change direction water is going in? Few months ago I’ve noticed that direction has been changed from Positive Z to Negative Z direction and that messed up a map i was working on :\

2 Likes

Another nice update, makes the water look way better!

6 Likes

Roblox should have at least made it more of an optional feature if it uses recursive rendering or not. I don’t think roblox should be dictating the performance or the features of our games just because their performance metrics don’t meet some arbitrary standard. Also i do wonder, is the glass refraction issue really just an issue of no support for recursive rendering? Or is it just an issue of the refraction rendering before those objects

2 Likes