Improvements To DMCA system

Changes to this are really needed, a problem I havent really seen mentioned is that the current system is very abusable as you don’t really need much proof at all to DMCA someone or something at least when it comes to Meshes or Textures this can lead to tons of false DMCA claims.

Sure you can say that countering the claim is a solution to false claims, However then ROBLOX take your revenue from that item, kill momentum and ultimately kill any hope for it being picked up by the algorithm.

Alongside that it takes 14 business days to get your counter claim accepted and with a maximum of 3 strikes that take no time at all to be placed on an account. A person abusing the system can effective keep someone falsely terminated or continuously take money from them for however long they want in a cycle of false dmca and counter.

Currently I am being false DMCA’d by this account: DMCA_DEVIANT - Roblox on stuff that I have modelled and textured myself and have no way to really deal with it other than countering only for it to happen on another model or texture or item.

A minimum of evidence and/or better background checks to the items prior to actually accepting the DMCA should really be a thing, and if it already is a thing it clearly isn’t good enough when models.

It is also wild that there are no punishments to players submitting false DMCAs and also no real way to solve the issue without legal action.

10 Likes

Why is Roblox accepting DMCA requests from a user literally named Legal_Beamer

5 Likes

What if they spent all of the 100k Robux (negative robux :skull:)

2 Likes

I assume that then they (roblox) will pay the refunds so long as it isn’t in your pending or your current robux.

For me since I constantly have above the amount required to refund everyone for the purchases of the items temporarily taken down they had no problem taking the money from OTHER accessories pending amounts which summed up to all the sales from the item taken down temporarily.

Though when the item is restored which should be within the next 3 days they wont return the money they used to refund all the people, so basically they all just get my item that I spent time working on for free unfortunately, obviously not the end of the world just mildly annoying that a once profitable item is now a 5k robux loss counting upload fees lol

No consequences to the person who initiated the false DMCA.

I got this rather strange email that says,

1. They couldn’t even verify that my account is the owner of the uploaded assets I want removed. (Ok, that’s really strange). I have no idea which items they’re referring to.
  2. The email also lists the ipcontent_removal_request@roblox.com email. Hold on, I thought this email was dead. I thought all content removal requests are supposed to be direct at the Copyright_Agent@Roblox.com.

What is even going on? Nothing makes sense.

3 Likes

Bruh is this some troll account that just false DMCA’s random people because it works?

We need a way to delete assets from our inventory, it’s 2024!

6 Likes

Correct lol there was no evidence or proof required when it came to my case, I won my appeal though still lost all revenue from said series and the series still hasnt been fully restored yet.

1 Like

Whats even worse about the DMCA system is any single person could just give a simple claim to Roblox, and take down your asset without any evidence, because they have lied about going to court with it. I have had this user attempting to terminate my account for the past week (they failed but are still trying).

And since they can’t achieve to get my account terminated (I assume that’s what they’re trying to do), they go on their alt and delete more assets claiming it’s theirs, this system is just so horrible.

8 Likes

How did you manage to do this? I am still ongoing through over 10 DMCA requests from the same people as you, and on each ticket I have just been receiving automated responses.

1 Like

Roblox’s current DMCA system is setting grounds for a different host of legal issues IMO. Terminating users without giving them the ability to comply with the new policy (i.e. the ability to archive/delete creations) is shifty if not illegal, and with how easy it is to abuse the system, it’s only a matter of time till a big-time developer gets trolled and terminated.

Could you imagine if the creator of Bloxburg was termed for false DMCA strikes? The fallout would be massive.

11 Likes

personally, its good that they deleted skibidi rizzler sigma games on roblox so we dont get brainrotted

I completely agree with this, and with Roblox’s New post about “Rights Manager”, I hope we’re going to see an item removal request page or at least a way of removing older items we uploaded off the platform, because as of right now it’s impossible, and gives the creators no time/ability to pay for damages and fight back. People might’ve had no idea some pieces of content that are memes, (such as skibidi toilet) can be trademarked, because they use stolen assets, so you would think trying to re-create a skibidi toilet or character from the videos, wouldn’t be copyrighted/trademarked. Many creators who worked a lot got recently DMCA’d for those issues having no way of saving themselves. It was a very unfair DMCA, yet it happened to a lot

We need to be able to delete stuff we upload off the platform

4 Likes

My name is Justin.
I post a character named Justin.
Roblox decides to flag it because of Justin Bieber.

Really Roblox? You should feel ashamed of yourself. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

This isn’t much of a Roblox issue as more of a legal one. As a platform Roblox is obligated to respond to DMCA takedown notices relatively quickly. The likelihood of every copyright holder being this aggressive is very slim and likely rarely takes place.

Roblox should, and has all the rights to delete a copyrighted item off the platform, what they can change to current DMCA system instead, is not terminate users for it, but suspend their permissions either forever or depending on which strike they are, as well as allowing people to delete old content they uploaded, that they think might be DMCA’ble. every other platform allows removal of content, except Roblox. All platforms such as YouTube give people a second chance, by allowing creators to remove songs or videos from their platform, Roblox doesn’t.

2 Likes

What would be also great is some honesty from the Roblox Copyright Agents as to why when requesting to delete classic clothing assets, and promising that the assets will be deleted, that nothing happens.

Same issue here. These group of people have also started targeting me and claiming my assets are theirs in an attempt to falsely terminate my account. I have sent a counter DMCA but it’s been days with no reply.

3 Likes

DMCA Counters take around 14 business days to go through so you should be fine, all counters are pretty much accepted so long as the person who claims the DMCA doesn’t sue you for false countering.

That being said roblox wont restore any robux that was falsely taken from you once the items are restored.

And if the items texture or mesh was targetted rather than the accessory itself you will then need to contact the DMCA Agent again and wait another 7-10 days for them to go through your old ticket and realise the accessory needs to be restored too.

DMCA_Demon / Legal_Beamer will get no punishment and likely wont even be discredited for future false DMCA takedowns.

I did transfer my valuable stuff to my alt just incase. I got an email saying my counter would be reviewed and that it was sent to the complainant 5 days ago, so now I’m waiting until my strike is removed, hopefully soon. Don’t know if they will try to get me more strikes though.

1 Like