Introducing 8 New Base Materials [Studio Beta]

Since this is in Studio Beta, the new materials will not be visible in published experiences at this time, but we’re planning a pretty fast rollout to production for those materials. Stay tuned!

17 Likes

OMG, thank you soo much for that, now it gives me more creativity.
I don’t have to be bored of regular materials we hope to se a full release soon. :purple_heart:

5 Likes

Why was it made a studio beta in the first place?

8 Likes

Ah! You were right ahead of us! The documentation update is live now (under “Current Base”).

11 Likes

There are many different factors that we take into account when establishing our features’ release processes. In this case, we ended up deciding that it would be more rigorous to go through a Studio Beta first before going to production.

6 Likes

Any plans to add a shiny material?

14 Likes

What I find interesting is that after all this time we still don’t have bark base materials for different tree types. I figured since wood is one of the most used material for trees that we’d quickly have dedicated bark textures for them. Sure we could technically create our own using SurfaceAppearance, but it has limited features like not being able to change the color of the color map in-studio. And even if you could, its not like anyone has access to really good bark textures that people can just use, which is why Its surprising to me that we don’t have base materials for this.

Nonetheless, its always great to get more base materials!

13 Likes

This is a great update but it’d also be wonderful to get a huge glass update with support to render beams with transparency, adjustable refraction and other stuff community have suggested later on as well.

8 Likes

With the release of new base materials, will we eventually see more material customization for water terrain in the near future?

6 Likes

More options for materials is great. I hope this isn’t the end of new materials. I’m always down for more customization

7 Likes

Would like to see unsightly color addition like this toned down significantly.

I still stand by us needing to be able to tint the untinted portion of a material. There is a color map available for built in materials that controls untintable parts of materials, we should be able to influence this somehow. E.g. rust on copper is green, or brick grout doesn’t always have to be grey, etc.

21 Likes

Also luminosity for glowy environments!
IMG_1587

40 Likes

Hoping for water on parts/with sharp corners soon :pray:

7 Likes

Are PBR materials/a PBR material with a high Metalness and low Roughness not sufficent?

6 Likes

Roblox PLEASE ADD EMISSIVE TEXTURE INPUTS FOR MATERIALVARIANT AND SURFACEAPPEARANCE!!

Its kind of crazy how this ISNT already a thing yet

21 Likes

Pretty great!!! now, on a bit more separate topic but also regarding materials, could we ever get per-surface textures? pretty much like terrain details, but for normal base parts. This would be super useful for not needing to use separate parts if you want to have a different material on certain surfaces

9 Likes

All I have to say is…
:hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed::+1: nice update, I LOVE MATERIALS!

7 Likes

This is cool, will you be rolling out more materials in the future?

7 Likes

Wonderful update! I’m kind of envy how roblox can flex the fact that they can create materials with colors that stay consistent regardless of the part’s color. I’m hoping we can do this too with custom materials in the future…

Examples

full black/0,0,0:

whilte/255,255,255:

blue/0,0,255:

please guys… give us this. i’m sure i’m speaking for more developers out there that this IS needed.
It’s frustrating having to make a material for each individual color i want to make…

43 Likes

https://twitter.com/Bloxy_News/status/1683746907020230657

I just realized this was leaked almost a year ago… I wonder what took so long

7 Likes