Is It Against ToS To Sell Ranks & Have a Holder?

I’ve never even thought of the idea of selling ranks for my group because it’s not clearly stated whether or not it’s allowed. With ranks, I reserve the right to remove the role if the user misbehaves right? But if they paid for it, can’t it be classified as a scam? Is it even allowed?

For a Holder, I also don’t know if it’s allowed. Once again, it isn’t clearly stated in ToS. If I were to some reason be banned, I don’t want the group to go to waste. Would a holder classify as an alt? Is it allowed?

15 Likes

Well selling ranks at all isn’t allowed.

Yeah! It’s definitely allowed! I know so many groups that have an alt as a holder for their groups!

2 Likes

In the terms of service, any on-site transaction that isn’t directly coordinated by ROBLOX (i.e the purchase of gamepasses, dev products, catalog items, etc) is against the terms of service. Selling ranks at all could put your account and/or your group at risk of deletion so I wouldn’t recommend it.

To clarify, a group holder would classify as an alt, however it is not against tos to have an alt as the group owner because ROBLOX can’t discern what is or is not an alt. It’s also recommended to have an alt as a group holder because group owners are held liable for actions taken by their group. Just keeps you safer over-all.

I figured rank selling at all wasn’t allowed. I just wanted a second opinion. I appreciate it!

3 Likes

and @TerryMichaelBrunk,
best regards to you two!
selling ranks is actually very common within ROBLOX, and nothing is done against this, so I see no reason to not hop on the easy money bandwagon and sell ranks.
to OP: absolutely allowed! If other groups can get away with it, why can’t you?
some examples of selling ranks by big ROBLOX groups/games:

If other people do it, and there’s been threads made about it, and nobody was prosecuted, why not have a try at selling ranks? It seems to pay off in the long run, op.

5 Likes

either it’s an act of favoritism or the policy is rarely enforced,I view it as fair play till you’re moderated. If that’s how Roblox wants to portray themselves than we may as well adapt to the agenda as well.

2 Likes

Just because it is common doesn’t mean it is allowed, in the terms of service, article 4, section A, part 4, it expresses quite clearly that exchanges, trades, transactions, or any likewise matter is to only be permitted with the expressed permission of ROBLOX themselves. Selling group ranks is not a transaction expressly permitted by ROBLOX and is against the terms of service.

You’re right though, several people do it, and several people have been moderated for it. Not a risk I’d personally be willing to take, nor do I feel anyone else should take.

1 Like

So how would someone get permission if they wanted? I’m not looking to sell ranks but now I’m curious lol.

It’s not one, or even a group of people getting permission, until ROBLOX expressly permits the selling of group ranks in one way shape or form it will be moderated should it be reported. Similar to how content moderation changes from time to time, not in the condition that one person asks for it, but ROBLOX expressly permits it to change.

How did this post go from asking about selling ranks to 3 users arguing whether or not it’s corrupted.

I say we go into this in a discord gc. Add me Paige#3587. Curious to see how this goes lmao.

I currently don’t have a way to access the ROBLOX blog, though you could look through that and most likely find it. However, once again, this is not a history discussion nor a discussion of who was worse, so let’s not make it that.

2 Likes

There is a lot of misinformation, inaccuracies, misconstrued details and horrible advice being shared in the replies which are mainly based off of circumstantial speculation.

I’d like to dispel a few things here because it’s better to talk about the issue itself rather than to speculate and use others’ actions as a point of reference when talking about the rules. Please read up: just need a few minutes of your time, which could save you from a potentially irreversible situation.

First of all, for those bashing Roblox and spreading rumours about all this favouritism and “they don’t follow their own rules” nonsense: stop. The DevForum is not for spreading rumours and this behaviour is inappropriate. Don’t say things you can’t prove. Second of all, please stay on-topic. This is about whether or not rank selling is permitted, not anything else.

A rank game pass purchase is still facilitated by official Roblox channels and conducted on-site, which is allowed (the sale is). Granting items for a purchase is always the responsibility of the developer and them alone. The rule specified in the Terms of Use is that using third party channels to conduct transactions for Roblox is not allowed.

Selling ranks is a gray area when it comes to the Terms of Use. They aren’t formally allowed, but they aren’t explicitly prohibited either. The Terms of Use are not going to explicitly cover every single case, so obviously there won’t be any express mention about selling ranks and whether it’s permitted or not. It’s highly up to context and the circumstances around the situation. In this case, you want to hold up the circumstances against enforceable purchases (are purchases being honoured?).

The reason why selling ranks isn’t formally allowed is because there is no way to guarantee that a user gets what they purchase or that they aren’t scammed, especially since Roblox does not have native support for changing ranks on purchase. It always has to be conducted by messaging a user with rank changing privileges or by automation. Roblox loses enforceability here and that’s what causes moderation action against groups selling ranks.

There are developers who do this often hide behind excuses such as “abuse = removal” or “this is a donation pass” to attempt to bypass and “save” themselves from any kind of moderation action for selling ranks. This will not do anything. Moderation has their own internal policies when conducting reviews and will act if necessary, regardless of what you slap in your descriptions.

As for holder alternate accounts, yes those are allowed. You may have alternate accounts, there is no rule against this. Be wary though, unlike a lot of group owners who create holder accounts: they are not a saving grace. There two chief reasons why a group owner creates a holder account:

• If their main account is breached, their group is safe.
  • The owner can hide behind an alternate account if something goes wrong.

Something to dispel about the last point: creating a holder account doesn’t save you. If, by chance, you were to partake in deceptive practices and receive moderation action, moderators know who you are. Both your holder account and your main account will receive due punishment. This may also affect your platform standings, such as the ability to use the Developer Exchange program.

It’s great that you asked this question but it’s always best to inquire about the circumstances yourself. When it comes to these kinds of “is it allowed” threads, the common response you’ll get back is often “if other groups do it, it’s allowed”. NEVER take this as appropriate justification. Others doing something doesn’t implicitly mean it’s allowed: you cannot use another’s circumstances to justify your own.

Roblox does not play favourites and they uphold the policies as they should. Every review is done on a case-by-case basis, meaning that moderation must investigate, review facts and survey the circumstances before proceeding with an appropriate response, if one is required at all.

75 Likes

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the response! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hate to spotlight yourself or toot my own horn here, but I’d like to ask if you could mark my post as the solution mainly to highlight these points, though you do not need to.

The current marked solution unfortunately conveys misinformation which can be dangerous and damaging if taken at face value. The only thing correct in that post is that transactions not conducted through official channels for on-site items are prohibited.

Selling ranks does not necessarily jeopardise you, though it is frowned upon and something to avoid in times of uncertainty. As for the holder alt, moderation doesn’t need to know if the account is an alt; they know its associations. Both your main and alt will get suspended for gross rule violations. In the case of a relatively major offense, all your accounts may get suspended. Holder accounts leave you no safety from moderation for rule violations.

Stay safe out there. :slightly_smiling_face: :tada:

18 Likes

@colbert2677 I just wanted to point this out. I got banned for a day in selling ranks. It is against ROBLOX TOS. Message I got from Lead appeal “Selling group ranks is not permitted, as such purchases cannot be enforced by Roblox and can be used to scam players.”

3 Likes

All the more backing towards my response. So this confirms the stance on rank selling as prohibited and further reinforces my point: purchases that can’t be enforced are not permitted to be conducted on the platform. There is no native way to grant a rank change, so it’s not an enforceable purchase.

Rank selling is a garbage way of monetising your game anyway. Risks that yield profit are fine (example risk in this context: a gameplay change that may or may not be loved) but not stupid risks and skirting moderation. Not worth chancing moderation for a quick profit turnover, because you jeopardise your ability to earn on the platform in the long run, possibly even permanently.

Thanks for alerting me. I can’t be bothered to make changes to the response right now since it’s a minor highlight, but the main takeaway: don’t sell things you can’t grant within the engine. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Oh jeez @Nattily_RoyalGuard, I’m sorry to hear that. :confused: That’s always been my main issue when deciding if I want to. I’m going to spread the word to a few friends of mine who own popular groups too. I know Josh (Nova Hotel Owner) is one of the reasons his group keeps getting terminated. @Simon_Dev also stopped selling ranks a year ago because of it.

1 Like

I honestly would have taken down the rank center but it was also not made by me. I only updated it once I became owner. So its sad 1 I didn’t look deep enough into the issue and 2 I didn’t remove the center.

Well then why do they allow it on Cafes. Cause you can by ranks from them???