It should be possible to use Roblox Studio offline

Yep, that’s what I’m saying. Pretty sucky situation especially when it existed a while back.

1 Like

Even if servers never crashed, I’d rather use a version of studio that is offline as much as possible.

This is of course just an assumption, but I’m pretty sure that when servers are down the least of their worries is studio. Most important thing is to get the players online again (keep the cash flowing); devs can wait.

2 Likes

please roblox im begging you, pet sim 99 is coming out tomorrow and i really need to be able to use studio during the outage that is to come

2 Likes

I feel like it’s become a tradition to come here every once in while to be let down.

d684dcx-c3290072-0064-4326-a303-e1291ee1ce61

Maybe next year folks.

17 Likes

Studio SHOULD be able to be used offline.

I literally have most of my game assets on my own hard drive as well, it makes no sense not being able to open a place on my hard drive.

Also I think it would also be a neat feature if Roblox could cache assets offline so you can still see and hear your sound effects, meshes and images when working on a project while traveling in a train for example.

6 Likes

btw guys if you are at the main menu of the studio you can open your autosaves from there and start working
animations,avatars,plugin icons some other stuff that requires internet might not work but at least you can work on your game there

3 Likes

Sorry for bumping this old thread again…
But are there any new solutions, or work arounds? My current situation is being at work almost 12 hours daily, and i bring my laptop for the off chance that i can get my phones hotspot to work properly on my lunch break. It would be a huge convenience to be able to at least read over my code without internet access. Let me know please!

5 Likes

If you only want to use a single place file, then you could just leave it open. The game is still playable, code is readable, but any custom meshes or textures will be invisible. And, your output will be spammed with tons of “Failed to load” errors, but hey, all your code still works.

2 Likes

You can write your code in a real editor and sync it in with Rojo.

1 Like

You can but, you lose the ability to run your code in studio’s environment.

2 Likes

if you are working on unpublished game you can continue working
if you are working on a published game and your studio kicks you out of the game then use auto save

2 Likes

Bump,

This is not possible yet, all assets are stored on Roblox Servers, while I do agree an Offline studio would be useful when working abroad like on an airplane.

Roblox could experiment with a system that would save the models and images that require a connection to Roblox servers, locally, on my own device which would allow me to access despite being offline.

Matter of fact they are already saved, but not in a Roblox Studio readable format, when you play a Roblox game, frequently they are saved in your AppData folder on your computer, deleting those files would make loading into games slower until Roblox saves those downloaded files again.

So theoretically this would be possible with the current techniques Roblox already uses without creating more problems.

3 Likes

I hate resorting to hacky options like developing a game with an old Roblox Studio build to prevent any issues related to outages, like the one right now. I can’t say much as I am not a developer who works full-time on Roblox games, I make things for fun, but I don’t think we should be experiencing issues like this.

Like how many times it’s been seen through outages, not just on Roblox but on other areas outside of game development, it’s unreliable to depend purely on internet connection for everything.

Personally, all I wish for is to be able to properly build, script and playtest games during outages.

2 Likes

I think even having an option to download a snapshot of all things in your game preloaded (to get around the game-specific issues) is a better solution.

If I am offline, I don’t have any real ambition aside from working on a game. I’m not touching plugins (hell, we can preload those too). I want to load 3D objects, scripts, sounds and press play. I want to develop and test my code as I’m writing it. Iteratively.

Would the snapshot be chunky? Sure. Depends on how big your game is.

Would I be able to save offline? Sure. Save to the file system. Push up when internet is better.

Both of those tradeoffs are fair and what you’d expect.

I think the more ironic and annoying bit is that RDC always focuses on “improving workflows for developers” and has yet to properly address, arguably, the most important one.

This.

2 Likes

It would be nice to be able to at least build without the toolbox offline, since you can just save the file to your computer publish the place later.

There is difficulty using certain features offline due to most of the platform’s base systems needing to be updated constantly for toolbox, moderation, AI generation possibly etc.

I can’t see Roblox making this change any time soon.

Adding onto this,

I would love to be able to use Roblox Studio Offline (especially without an account logged in like people state) mainly due to outages though this is probably just personal preference, but I don’t want all the bloat that’s introduced into Regular Studio similarly to what OP mentioned.

Developers could also lose money or be losing money from these outages or from life-threatening situations.

Hopefully this question will be addressed in the AMA.

2 Likes

I don’t think they are gonna ever add studio in offline mode. Why?

Although unconfirmed, I suspect that roblox has bots constantly looking at us inside Studio, for moderation purposes. And these bots obviously can’t work when there is no internet connection.

How did I come to this conclusion? When I was developing my game in team create, I inserted a guillotine model from the toolbox to make a joke with my friend, with the intent to immediately delete it afterwards.

This happened some time later, when the model was already deleted:

Note that the game was private, and I was 10000% sure that the game wasn’t published/updated when the offensive model was in the workspace. And just like that, my game got immediately wiped off the platform. Thankfully I had a local copy saved.

(although unrelated and is mostly a bad moderation yap, at the time there even was a game called guillotine simulator, where the game was LITERALLY based on chopping npc heads off… despite all that, my appeal was rejected)
1 Like

I can see this being due to multiple other reasons. Here’s a few:

• Model re-uploaded to your personal account
  • Automated check on the published experience (outside of studio)
  • Model that you put in your game got taken down by roblox

Could also be a team-create only check. But I highly doubt roblox has constant checks on what you’re doing in studio. Afaik they only check published assets.

1. How could it be reuploaded to my account? It makes no sense… And the item was already up for a very long time. It’s LITERALLY in the toolbox, that roblox approved. Why would I need to fear moderation for items that roblox obviously approved beforehand?
  2. Even if they checked it, the game was not published or updated at all during the model’s existence. They couldn’t have detected it. Also, there are hundreds of inappropriate games up right now and the report button is doing nothing. The only explanation is probably bots
  3. So it was taken down the moment I inserted it in the game? talk about luck :skull::sob:
2 Likes

This feature request / proposed solution can be closed out, creator leadership confirmed they will not work on this:

It’s probably better to make posts about specific problems rather than the proposed solution “studio must work off-line”. You could make separate posts about specific problems you are having while not connected to the internet so they can address those piecemeal.

3 Likes