Launch of Recommendation Feed on Roblox Web

Roblox is on a crazy good update streak. Keep it up!

5 Likes

Hopefully it isnt gonna be neutral to what roblox decides to shove down users throats.

For example: My hero battlegrounds and their enhanced search algorithm.

However it sounds promising : D

4 Likes

I see recommended games, whats the difference between the old and new?

4 Likes

Who’s excited for some skibid toilet simulators :toilet:

4 Likes

My entire “recently played” section is messed up, last game I played was a game I made, but its halfway down the page. Instead, roblox is showing games i last played a month or 2 ago.

A game I havent played in a LONG time is above the game i truly last played.

4 Likes

We launched an update in December that lets your monitor Home recommendations impressions, conversion rate, and more in your Acquisition analytics page.

You can use filters to see web only traffic.

Here’s a link to that announcement: Analytics: View Home Recommendations Conversion Rate and Recent Icon Updates

7 Likes

I have a few issues with the recommended tab and however the algorithm works.

Like the fact that the recommeneded games seem to be completely random and I wouldn’t really want to play any of the games there. Another issue is all the games there are just popular games I would see on the front page. I want to see more smaller games, I have to find good games on youtube and using browser extensions make Roblox a whole better experience when it comes to finding games like having a random game tab. Last issue is the fact the page ends instead of just continuing to give you more games, this also goes for the favorite tab and I have to go through my profile to actually find a complete list of my favorite games.

2 Likes

Slightly out of context, but why “Friend activity” was gone in the first place?

People usually make friends in-game, and the game in question is something they both enjoy, resulting in that “friend” having decent probabilities that he knows similar games, which i find it more reliable to discover new games than whatever “recommended” is trying to guess.

you could argue that “currently playing” is enough and you don’t really need to see a friend playing in 2 different visuals, but what if i miss the user playing for a hour on a game ? i don’t really want to be actively refreshing my home page to know what my friends are up to.

5 Likes

We plan to incorporate Genres & Experience Categories seamlessly within the user’s discovery journey including search landing pages and metadata within the home tiles.

yooooo genre sort might return!!! (probably not, dont get your hopes up.)

4 Likes

Roblox will do anything - absolutely anything - except return genre control back to developers. Don’t get complacent about discussion regarding developer-curated sorts; when the announcement mentions genres they’re talking about algorithmically sorted experiences that you have to luck out on to get sorted into and that appear at the bottom of the discover page. It’s nowhere near adequate.

I’m not looking to play the same 400 top-earning experiences. I want Roblox to start acknowledging the niches on the platform and allow developers to once again have power over how they can reach their audiences without needing to depend on absurd amounts of capital or third party platforms.

15 Likes

This will be great for smaller experiences that need discoverability! The launch of this update on mobile alone helped increase the discoverability of my experience. Great update!

3 Likes

There seems to be this short sighted obsession in Roblox’s search and discovery of ignoring the search terms and preferred games of the person, and just force feeding cash grab experiences in the misguided notion that this will bring Roblox the most $$$ long term. It is rare for players to be able to coalesce around higher quality games which would broaden the appeal of the platform, and this seems to go completely unrecognized, destroying tremendous future earning potential.

When people can’t find the games they are interested in, they are less likely to spend time on the platform completely, and spread the word to others, but this impact is completely outside of what their search and discovery is tuned for. If the algo doesn’t see immediate spending metrics, it “moves on” and continually surpresses these games, regardless of how directly you search or match their genres. It’s apparent the algorithms were tuned by some bean counters who understand only steering people to a number, with zero understanding of the big picture of what search and discovery is supposed to accomplish.

3 Likes

They can easily do this by adding a randomized game section that would throw out random games you havent played and maybe using some sort of system to cut out spammy games or things like that.

2 Likes

all of your game predictions are garbage. I play obbies and you recommend me bloxfruit. wtf is wrong with your algorithm ?

6 Likes

okay this might actually be a good update

1 Like

I think this is neat, but I’d like to have my favourites right before my recommended. I usually never look at my recommended and mainly focus on my continue playing sort or my favourites sort.

It’s not bad, but it can be improved upon with the favourites tab.

2 Likes

If a game is disliked, why the hell is it in my recommended? add some common sense

5 Likes

I hope it will REALLY change something, according to my acquisition last 30 days, home recommendation falled from 1M to almost 0

4 Likes

Ok so on the topic of home page why not have sections for games and a section for group related stuff like group shouts etc have it multi purposes instead of just the games like it used to be as it is now its basically just the discover tab.
Id like to have the continue, favorites, and maybe recommendations, then group stuff, and maybe some other things

1 Like

It’s January 30th and the new feed hasn’t arrived for me. Has the update been delayed?

1 Like