LightPlus+ | Lighting made easy

Introducing LightPlus+

(Note @ 21th July 2021) Some issues with this plugin have recently surfaced which may cause it to no longer function as intended. This will be resolved shortly as soon as possible, until then please hold on!

Tired of adjusting your Lighting properties on repeat just to test something out? Worry no more! LightPlus+ a great time saver when it comes to lighting as it allows you to save the properties of the Lighting service for later use!

Okay, how does it work?
LightPlus+ allows you to save snapshots of your current Lighting properties which you can then load later on. Snapshots save between sessions and are only visible in the place you created them in.

72af3f0d1fb8a7658edc6bda512cb9b7

This sounds neat. Got anything more to show?
Of course! Here are some quality of life features:

• Name your snapshots! It’s quite a simple feature, yet extremely useful!
  • Forgot the properties? Don’t worry! You can inspect them in from the configure screen.
  • Back to basics~ We all know how irritating it would be to have to create a snapshot just for the defualt lighting, so we got you covered! There’s an extra button in the bottom left which allows you to reset the properties to default.

How does it look?
Here’s a couple of previews!

6e3fb48797a79469a109ca78711e71d3
3483b8949155847bdcdf51c2d6e4d8e2

Limitations & Known bugs

• :door: Limitation: You cannot read nor load the Technology property of Lighting.

This is cool! where can I get it?
LightPlus+ is available for everyone here. If you come across any bugs or simply want to provide feedback, please take a moment to post it here. Thanks!

99 Likes

Does it also cover Lighting effects like Bloom or Sun Rays?

2 Likes

I like this a lot, i think it would be a little better if it had the ability to enable and set the properties of post effects such as, sun rays, bloom and color corrections. I think it would also be cool if you could “Export” certain settings by giving the user a string to copy which they can send to other users to import into their own plugin. Nonetheless a pretty solid plugin.

5 Likes

Yes! It’s able to save all the currently available post effects. It can also save the current skybox. You can see if a snapshot has any of these “special” effects by looking at the label under the name.

4 Likes

Very nice plugin that would make debugging lighting a lot easier on me. Will there be any update to have it support terrain colors since some (I) also depend on that when changing lighting?

3 Likes

Hello there is a plugin just like this, that was made before yours

I mean, technically my plugin was created before his. This topic is simply quite recent.

It’s nice to see someone else also had the same idea though, it really proves how many developers are in need of something like this.

6 Likes

Just letting you all know I am cool with this. I did not know @0skarian had made a similar plugin with the same purpose. I even asked around for a bit before making one so I didn’t do any duplicate work, but I guess it happens sometimes.

That being said, I think there are some upsides and downsides to both plugins. From the looks of it this one seems more powerful and/or informative whereas mine is more light-weight.

11 Likes

this. is. really. cool! I have just one suggestion, add an abillity to export the lighting settings to tables.

Question: You say that lighting settings are only visible in the place you save them to, but are they visible in a TeamCreate session if both developers are using this plugin?

Not quite yet! The plugin currently saves snapshots using PluginSettings, which only work locally. However, the idea of implementing collaboration is something that I’ve wanted to to for a little while now, so maybe I’ll see if I can add that into the next version of the plugin. Stay tuned! :wink:

2 Likes

I found one issue:

When you move the sun with other plugin, it may happen to put negative time to get the sun where it needs to. This may be an issue for LightPlus+, as it uses ClockTime to load time into Lighting.

ClockTime property cannot be set to negative values directly, so if the plugin attempts to set negative time, the value just changes to 0.

But TimeOfDay property can be set to values lower than that (which, as a result, is able to indirectly set negative ClockTime). If this plugin relied on TimeOfDay instead, the ClockTime wouldn’t get stuck at 0, and would allow to put the value that is needed.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! :+1:
I’ll be pushing an update in a couple of days, I’ll make sure it’s been fixed until then.

1 Like

Version 2.0 has been released!

This update is packed with small changes that’ll improve your experience with LightPlus+. All known bugs have been fixed.

What’s new?

• As requested by @HeyItzDaredevil , terrain support has been added! - technically. Unfortunately the MaterialColors property cannot be read, so as of right now you can only load water related properties. This feature can be disabled in the new options menu located in the bottom left.
  • Highlights! Almost all of LightPlus+'s UI is now reactive, no more wondering if you “actually” hit that button.
  • Loading of PostEffects can now be disabled inside the options menu located to the bottom left.
  • It’s okay to make mistakes, LightPlus+ now supports undo/redo for loading snapshots.

What’s been fixed?

• The place indicator will no longer turn to “New place” if you’re in a published place.
  • Snapshots will no longer delete each other due to overlapping ID’s.
  • LightPlus+ will no longer use ClockTime if it’s value is negative (Props to @Veldaren for reporting this!).
  • Fixed a bug where trying to load a snapshot deletes it (don’t ask how this happened thanks).

Remember that you need to update LightPlus+ to receive these new goodies! Old snapshots will still work in this update, however, it is recommended you recapture them to receive some of the latest bug fixes and features.

If you encounter any issues, let me know! :happy2:

3 Likes

This is really cool!

I have a feature request, I’m not sure where you store the Presets but it would be nice for us to have an import and export function.

If you don’t mind can you share the source code so users can learn from it without using Studio?