Make DevForum acceptance manual

You can still access DevForum without an acceptance. What we want is people who know nothing about developing to not be on the forum making posts and commenting. We DO want them to be in the forum learning things but you don’t need an account for that.

1 Like

CC: @RobloxTitan4223

When you say “developer”, what do you mean? What makes someone one?

See the minor edit at the bottom of #154 for my personal defintion.

1 Like
Defintion according to Techopedia.com

Definition - What does Developer mean?
A developer is an individual that builds and create software and applications. He or she writes, debugs and executes the source code of a software application.

A developer is also known as a software developer, computer programmer, programmer, software coder or software engineer.

Techopedia explains Developer
A developer is the key individual behind all software applications. Generally, developers are well versed in at least one programming language and proficient in the art of structuring and developing software code for software or a program. Depending on job role and type of software developed, a developer may be classified as a software developer, application developer, mobile developer, Web developer, etc.

Although the primary job role is writing code, a developer also may gather requirements for software, design or overall software architecture, software documentation and other related software development processes.

So just programmers? So only programmers should use the forums? No builders, artists, translators, UI artists, etc.?

Are you confident in that definition given your previous remarks?

1 Like

A developer is someone who is actively or has previously work(ed) on a concept of Roblox development (building, scripting, UI, art…) for the purpose of pleasure or profit, and did not directly take free models in the process of that. For scripting and building, they must work/look better than 4 blocks welded together.

@RobloxTitan4223: I don’t think that definition works for Roblox.

2 Likes

No it says someone who builds or creates software. In the scenario of Roblox they would be making Roblox games are plugins or just creating something that can be used and isn’t a free model.

Oh, I see your confusion.

It’s:

(builds or creates) software.

NOT:

(builds) or (creates software)

Okay cool, good insight to be aware of. Just one clarification, when you say…

What about those who use free models in a transformative use or use open source products (since they’re also free models)

1 Like

I’d call that indirectly using them, which is fine. Lots of developers use free models to make new things.

1 Like

What if the user has no ID? Then how would they get accepted?

2 Likes

That could be a violation against roblox, since under 18s can’t really share personal information, without consent of guardian. What will happen if that data collected gets leaked? Also what about IDs of different countries? There 193 countries, and in the country, there are different jurisdictions, I’m sure you can’t expect roblox to mug up 193+ ID symbols.

I don’t think it is a violation against Roblox. How come Discord asks you for ID if your reported for being under 13?

1 Like

But, it is hard to learn if there is not a platform to ask questions and get feedback. In addition, with the removal of the Roblox Forum, #bulletin-board is used by some non-developers for their groups.

But #bulletin-board is intended for use to reach non-dev communities-such as groups.

1 Like

Yes, but a non-dev would not be able to use and post in #bulletin-board if the forum was strictly devs only.

I do not think the Roblox Developer Forums should revert to manual acceptance. If it was switched to manual there would be many less experienced developers without much professionalism that will be denied access to this community. The dev forums is a place for everyone no matter your skill level to grow and learn, it shouldn’t be restricted to anyone.

Manual Acceptance = Many Developers voices don’t get heard or can’t use the form as a learning resource as most people would and remember how bad the application process was before the automatic acceptance?

Automatic Acceptance = People who don’t know how to use the forms shouldn’t be suppressed like this they should be mentored and if they are doing something bad that’s why we have our flagging systems and it would fundamentally break the forms like before if everyone had to send a staff member an individual portfolio that they would have to crosscheck they were already overloaded before the forms when public and the Roblox community has grown DRASTICALLY since so it will be even worse.

What do you consider professional resources wouldn’t that be just the #resources category? If so why should the whole forums be closed down for people to manually apply for access again when something that you want already fundamentally works in that category. People don’t use the forms just as a professional learning resource!

The forums are also used for showing off portfolios broadcasting hiring requests for development teams, groups information on #bulletin-board reporting bugs and giving feedback. Even then you don’t have to know how to develop to critique somebodies work. As the saying goes you don’t have to a chef to know what bad food tastes like. In fact, in some cases, these people can be more useful for providing feedback as they are closer to feedback that you would get from a physical average player.

The cons of how much this would hurt our newer developers by suppressing there wonderful ideas feedback and concerns would greatly outway making this a super professional development resource and as far as I know if you’re looking for those kinds of things this forum isn’t even the place for professional learning experiences.

If you’re looking for something like that shouldn’t you be using https://developer.roblox.com/ as a professional resource? Or the official Lua documentation of if you’re a modeller or GFX designer the official blender/whatever 3d software you use as documentation. This argument of closing the forms is very flawed you may have to provide a more in-depth solution if you’re suggesting this as just closing it like this wouldn’t be useful for anyone.

Most of them wouldn’t be comfortable to give IDs to people we barely know, unless we met face to face. I myself wouldn’t be comfortable to give away personal details to unknown people. I’m sure you’d feel the same too. Anyways, we still need a guardians permission before giving sensitive information.

1 Like

No, no, no, no, no. When I say professional resource, I mean a place where I can learn and discuss professionally.

Also your entire argument is flawed because you don’t really explain why anyone should ever use the forums, other than non-developers (P.S.

Technically you can do most of this on Roblox or Twitter,

Again, ask for feedback on Roblox or Twitter from those people,

Have you ever visited #help-and-feedback:building-support, #help-and-feedback:scripting-support, #help-and-feedback:art-design-support… if you are using these categories for feedback you are misusing the forum.)

Roblox filter makes communication difficult, Roblox has a character limit on group shouts and descriptions, Twitter also has a character limit.

Roblox and Twitter don’t work for the same reasons as above

what, see the category name (help and feedback)

Not sure why you would want people to opt for hacky and inefficient solutions.

2 Likes