Make solid TextStrokes

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to have a text stroke that looks like a line around the letter instead of a shadow.

I tend to use Stroke a lot on Photoshop, and I love how it’s able to create a solid line around letters instead of just a shadow like Roblox does now. This feature would allow developers to create more stylized text (and also make text easier to read against a similarly colored background.). Along with this addition, I feel that adding a TextStrokeThickness property would also help developers stylize their text. I know that people have suggested stroke thickness before, however I feel like bringing it up again along with a solid text outline is a logical move. (It turns out that the sample image in that suggestion has a solid text outline as well.)

Here’s an example of what I mean in case my wording wasn’t clear:

An option that would be nice to have for the stroke transparency (but not really necessary) would be to use the gradient tool from the ParticleEmitter to set a custom transparency gradient. For example, you could have the first half of the stroke be solid, and then fade out in the second half. Or just have a value that tells the game how far out it starts to fade out.

10 Likes

If you set TextStrokeTransparency to 0, this will be the effect.

It doesn’t really look like it because the line is so thin. From a normal viewing distance on my screen it looks like it fades. It doesn’t look like a solid line unless i’m right up next to the screen.

I think what you’re showing is text stroke thickness? If so, I actually suggested this a while back if you wanna check it out: UI Feature Ideas.

1 Like

On my screen it looks like it always fades, but I guess it’s just so thin that I couldn’t tell.

Just gonna shamelessly plug this here since @northernnovice did the same and his was a year after mine anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.