Making soft and good GFX lighting

Hey, hey GFX designers!

I saw a lot of people were wondering about how to make good GFX lighting and I decided to make tutorial about it. My lighting isn’t super professional, but pretty decent. Here is an example of it:

It looks pretty soft, has nice colors and looks volume. If you want to learn how to make some lighting like this, continue to read this tutorial.

Note: this tutorial is only about lighting for Roblox GFXs, nothing more, if you want me to make another tutorial, reply to this topic or DM me.

So let’s start. First thing you should do is make character’s parts smooth. Yeah, it affects on render too.

1. Disable Auto Smooth and remove Subdivision Surface.

Auto Smooth enabled:

Auto Smooth disabled:

You can see that now shadows and glares look right and soft. Next we should remove Subdivision Surface Modifier or something similar if you have it.

Check if your modifier on body parts have this:

If it does I recommend you to delete it by pressing “x” at the right top corner, but it’s up to you.

With Subdivision Surface:

Without Subdivision Surface:

2. Make background fully black.

Pretty simple step, all you have to do is make background black like this:

3. Add Planes with Emission material and set up them.

Okay, so you totally will need just two planes. Move and resize them similar to this:

You should make them invisible in Camera. You can disable visiblity here:

You can move them later if that will be needed. Now create material for one of them and setup like this:

If that will be needed you also can set up “Strenght” later. If you want second plane to have another color, make material with same Strengh, but different color. In this tutorial I will use same material.

4. Add more Metallic and set up character’s nodes.

The last main step. Open character’s material nodes and set up selected materials like this:

Now let’s check how will it look like in preview render:

As you can see it’s too bright, to avoid it you can make Strenght of Planes’ material lower. Now it looks decent:

Let me also show you how will it look with two different colors:

I showed you base of GFX lighting. If you have any questions or issues reply on this post. Show your GFX by tagging me on DevForum or Twitter (@Lie_StarIsChill). I’m gonna give you some positive feedbacks or retweet. Feedbacks on my first tutorial are very appreciated. Characters used: @i5k, @Pashanskiy. Goodluck! :blush:

82 Likes

Wow very nice tutorial, I am pleased to see how talented you are

6 Likes

Interesting tutorial! Might use it for my GFXs. :grinning:

3 Likes

intresting, might be using it in my next render also is this for eevee too?

2 Likes

Made a quick little something using this tutorial

Keep up the good work :+1:

12 Likes

I’m not sure it could be used for eevee, cause eevee doesn’t have very good specularity, but is you try to play around with Screen Space Reflections maybe it will get you some good setup

2 Likes

Woah! Looks very soft and clean, I recommend you to make emission’s strength bit higher

2 Likes

Why do people use planes instead of area lights??

1 Like

Thank you so much this definitely helped me a lot in improving my GFX skills!

2 Likes

You can change mesh of planes to make plane being bended around character

2 Likes

is that program cinema 4d?
i write this for publish this post and not be in the limit of words

2 Likes

Nah, its blender

30 c

1 Like

Hey question. did you want to like get the roblox in-game model feel? because it’s possible to import them through an add-on to instantly use them as rigged models. also, Nice lighting that most artist use.

This is a good guide.

With a little bit of experimenting I got this:

5 Likes

Another good option for lighting would be HDRIs but they aren’t as customizable color-wise.

1 Like

Wow, looks awesome! I recommend you make emmission colors like on the second pic least saturated, i forgot to mention that in the tutorial :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

this tutorial is epic! i made a test for the tutorial and it looks good

2 Likes

The tutorial was about Cycles lighting actually, but it still looks soft and really nice. Good job! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This is GFX is very amazing but I always see people using a blocky rig that I don’t know where I can find it, Lie where I can find one that you use?

1 Like

What rig is this if you don’t mind me asking,

1 Like