Material Generator Is Now Available for Everyone

it looks good for me and makes texturing much faster

you should know that ai will do anything you say you told it to generate molten lava and it did that you didnot tell the ai that you want it be as a brick or part

1 Like

parameters to generate textures are already included within the model itself, adding “brick of molten lava” would do nothing but confuse the image generator even more, here is the exact same prompt in dalle3

notice how it has a lot more depth and overall looks more like a landscape? thats because its generating purely from the prompt, roblox’s generator clearly messes with the prompt to generate textures, so that excuse doesn’t work here.

2 Likes

Hey SavageMode,

Can you tell me a little bit more about your question? If you have a part or mesh selected in the viewport, selecting a tile in the material generator should preview the material on the part/mesh. Then, when you click “Save and Apply”, that material gets saved and applied to the selected part. Let me know if this answers your question!

i got a different materials
2 of the generated materials are useable

that looks good for me

Eh, you’re better off generating your own stuff locally if you can. AI generations can look absolutely amazing when you do your own work, but… this? Not only is it limited to 512x512, which inherently makes it much more difficult for the AI to work with, there’s really no way you can improve it through extra steps.

3 Likes

thats not what i was looking for though, I was trying to make a molten lava floor, but because of the weird way the ai generates, you cant.

even in ur own example its slightly tilted for some reason

2 Likes

you are right about that i asked for molten lava floor and got that weird thing

1 Like

What I meant was that you can see all tiles in the material generator being applied to the part.
So there could be an option to see the materials in the part selected like it is showing for the sphere. On second thought however this might not be that useful.

1 Like

sorry if the hook of my first reply made you confused, but everything below the title is about procedural generation

1 Like

Decent update, but the Material Generator doesnt really get what do you really want.
Examples of that:

Also i am begging you: can everyone please stop talking how “soulless” the update is? Well they didnt trained the AI enough sadly, i thought they nailed it like the DALLE

This stuff is pretty cool to mess around with but it holds no benefit most of the time. imo the results are pretty interesting but most of the time would just never fit into any sort of game.

roblox could be focusing more on other cool and beneficial things like editable meshes/images other than AI slop.

:o)

I’ve seen tons of games who had the beta feature enabled a while ago use materials and textures from the generator almost exclusively.

It is quite interesting to read the arguments above though from newcomers who’ve only just started using it. I’ve found that tweaking the prompt sufficiently generates pretty nice cartoony materials to apply at large. The only thing we need now is UV Mapping (and bugs to be fixed because my material generator is currently broken… sigh.)

with some prompt engineering you can fix that.

here’s what my prompts typically look like:

sand sci fi pattern (gridded layer: 65%, flat), symmetrical, smooth render, clone wars art style, extreme close up, aerial view perspective

and outcome:

Tweaking the studs per tile and whether it’s organic or not helps too.

2 Likes

I “love” that Roblox is trying to make things easier for developers who can’t hire graphics animators and stuff like these.

• However, AI-made stuff will never be as accurate and good to compete with human-made stuff. First of all, you can’t explain properly to an AI what to generate for you.
  • Graphic materials made by artists will always be 100 times better than what any AI can build, even though AI is faster. The quality which AI will generate is far too bad to compete with real artists.
  • AI moderation and generation are far from perfect and will never achieve perfection, causing the generator to generate inappropriate content randomly, which will get the USER banned because all assets are uploaded under your account… good job Roblox, AI banning users for no reason lol.

I understand Roblox as a corporation, is doing it’s best to appeal for investors, there’s no judging here, we’ve seen Roblox stocks and they aren’t looking great, so it’s understandable why things like this are being pushed out.

Here’s a few improvements that I believe Roblox could do to:

• I think a better way to balance this, would be making stuff like “Talent Hub” easier to access for new players, (I know how to use it, but I met many people and tried to help many people get into it, but they couldn’t understand much of it.)
  • Allow graphics creators & other types of artists, to showcase their work on the Roblox website, or link their talent hub onto their profile…
  • Listen to the community!!!

Please listen to the community! Custom materials currently work so bad, there’s no way to overlay a specific color on the materials like the default materials, meaning we NEED to make a different material for each color…

Used “perfect” AI material to test this one

(White)

(Black)

(Green)

This feature is supported for surfaceapparence, for meshparts… why can’t this be done for materials too (image 1)? Not to mention surfaceapparence also allows COLORING (image 2) of this, making it 100 times better.

We need this!

Like, come on Roblox, bring us a finished feature before AI garbage like this…

2 Likes

This is cool and all, and will most certainly help people who can’t make materials and people who can’t afford to pay someone to do so, but it doesn’t look like the model is that good. The times I used it, the generated materials were really bad–I write my prompt, and it just doesn’t generate as well as other services. At this point, where image generation models are as good and as easy to use as they are, it is a better idea to use any other service to generate your textures. You can get better results on websites that are free, with no sign-up required, than this feature. You’d expect a billion dollar company to put some money into a good model, but I guess jumping on the AI buzzword is more important than using AI to make an actually good feature.

I sincerely hope to see Roblox include better models in their AI features in the future. The only reason I am against these features is not for fear of “AI slop”, as that is a legitimate problem, but rather the fact that these bad models are limiting what people who aren’t capable of easily creating their own materials can do.

Writing this was very rushed–had to get to more important things quickly. Please mention spelling errors and other problems.

3 Likes

“…you’d expect a billion dollar company…”

$28.20 billion

your point is quite right though

3 Likes

right??? it just isnt good, I dont understand why roblox cant take our ideas!!

1 Like

yeah there’s also that, roblox ai is more of artificial unintelligence because it can just hallucinate stuff, i asked it “how to reduce player air control” (because i wanted to add rocket jumping to my game and it doesn’t really work when you have massive air control) and it told me “use humanoid.aircontrol!!!” and when i pointed out it was fake it kept hallucinating random stuff to try and meet my needs.

3 Likes

why does everyone dislike this update?
i like the material generator because making materials is hard

1 Like

It’s AI. No one likes roblox AI stuff plus that garbage can hardly make an decent looking wood texture

2 Likes