Material Picker [Full Release]

Dear Creators,

We are thrilled to announce that the Material Picker is now available for everyone! With visual previews, powerful search, and intuitive filters, finding and applying materials is faster and easier than ever.

We’ve also integrated the Material Manager directly within Material Picker, making it easy to access all things Materials from one location.

Note: if you have the Material Generator beta enabled, you will also see it integrated within the Material Picker, rather than in the Studio Ribbon. We will be moving Material Generator out of beta soon, so stay tuned!

How to Use Material Picker

The Material Picker works similarly to the Color Picker. Select a part, and then use the Material Picker to select and apply a new material.

Quickly Preview Custom Materials

When you open the picker up, you’ll see a real-time visual preview of the materials you have available. You can also hover over materials to see how they might look on whatever you have selected. This means that you can now load in a custom material pack and quickly preview a bunch of materials you might want to build with!

Beta Improvements

Thanks so much to everyone who participated in the beta and provided valuable feedback. As a result, we’ve added some additional features to speed up your workflow even further!

• Rapid Selection: We’ve added the ability to quickly select materials by opening up the picker, typing the first characters of a material, then pressing Enter.

• Rapid Application: We’ve also added the ability to use the Material Picker as a tool, allowing you to quickly “paint” materials with a single click.

Your feedback and bug reports have been invaluable throughout this journey, and we are eager to hear more from you!

Warm regards,
The Studio Builder Tools Team :hammer_and_wrench:

193 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 11 minutes.

Amazing work on the release, keep the updates coming can’t wait for the next release!

29 Likes

I actually like this update. This a pretty fast and efficient way to work with materials. Cant wait for the next update!

21 Likes

it’s great to hear about the integration of the Material Generator beta within the Material Picker.

13 Likes

That’s pretty dope, the main thing that I get from this is that it’ll make material picking faster than before. Considering that advanced builders are already quick with it even without this new feature. :wink:

Pretty good update!

15 Likes

Really nice update! Used to be somewhat annoying changing it. Really awesome

14 Likes

Amazing Update, i love the fact that hovering over the materials will now show how they look, was pretty annoying before clicking multiple materials to check which looked the best :+1:

12 Likes

Wow, you have no idea how necessary that was. Thank you!

10 Likes

The fast application is exceptional for developers who want to change materials quickly. Many will appreciate this complete release.

One question can we only use the materials we have available within the studio or can we add materials from Blender? :thinking:

14 Likes

Hi, glad you’re appreciating the feature!

We do have the ability to use custom materials in Roblox, also known as MaterialVariants. You can find documentation on how to create and use them here!

Essentially you’ll use the Material Manager and assign texture maps for Color, Metalness, Normal, and Roughness.

13 Likes

This would be more convenient to use and preview materials when using custom materials, so quite a useful update! :+1:

6 Likes

Great update! Will this be available for terrain too, or just materials for parts?

6 Likes

Sorry to be rude, but can you guys add keyframe mirroring for the default animator? Also for whoever is willing to reply, I’m not talking about moon or blender, so don’t bring it up.

The default animator is good but it could be great with this one addition.

7 Likes

Hello, I didn’t know there was the possibility of using custom materials. I took a look at this documentation and it’s quite interesting. This will be of great help, really :grin:

6 Likes

That’s perfect, it definitely needed an update.

5 Likes

Finally added again after 2 years!!!

3 Likes

This update has made using materials so much faster! Thank you! :smiley:

3 Likes

remember when this used to be a thing and they took it away for some reason? whatever, just glad it’s back

5 Likes

Wow, thanks Roblox! I am truly excited to utilize this for my next project/game.

5 Likes