Microsoft Mixed Reality Headsets Don't Work With Roblox

Continuing on from: Having Trouble Launching Roblox In VR (No VR Toggle)

Roblox won’t work with the Microsoft Mixed Reality headsets using SteamVR. Currently, the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift work, and both are integrated with SteamVR, and I tested both headsets on my laptop earlier today. Currently, Microsoft Mixed Reality, SteamVR, Oculus, Viveport, and Revive all work with my headset. Roblox is the only one that doesn’t work at all.

1 Like

Mind posting logs (_1.txt) from client/studio startup? This is likely because we had to hardcode some USB GUIDs to fix a SteamVR bug that last time I checked was still not fixed by Valve.

1 Like

Was Microsoft MR ever officially supported?

1 Like

No - we don’t officially support it. So this would technically be a feature request, not a bug.

1 Like

I assume you want me to do this with the Microsoft Mixed Reality headset plugged in (compared to Rift/Vive/Nothing)?
Good to know exactly why this is happening now.

I can move it.

Yeah. We don’t currently have any MR headsets inhouse to test.

Ok, I will post them within the next hour. Going to see if my contact still has the Dell headsets, just in case they are different (no access to the ASUS, Lenovo, HP, Samsung headsets).

I made a big post in this back in October with reasons for support in the Platform Support section that is worth linking in the first post.

1 Like

Here is the log file for the Acer one: https://pastebin.com/RY0JzAHG

Nothing seems useful in that log compared to the Vive one I have. Here is the SteamVR logs in case they have anything useful: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah3y6zTAMhh2gcV2JLCaqpt-vtjbxQ

I am not sure what GUID id you are looking for. In case it is the USB device like it shows in the Vive logs, the hardware id in Device manager is USB\VID_045E&PID_0659&MI_03, which is for “HoloLens Sensors”

Yeah - it’s the USB device. Normally with SteamVR you’d see smth like:

VR: Found Valve USB device (vid 28de pid 2101)

This data was copied from lighthouse/driver.vrdrivermanifest file in SteamVR installation. I think the correct device for MR headsets might be HoloLens Sensors but not sure.

If this is the case, do you think it would be addressed to get Microsoft Mixed Reality working before the end of the month?

Can you send or upload .vrdrivermanifest file (or any other JSON files) from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver? I want to double check that we aren’t missing any IDs. I can then give you a custom build so that you can check if the change fixes the issue, and if it does we can release it soon.

1 Like

The vrdrivermanifest doesn’t have a lot. In case there is something else, here is the whole folder: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ah3y6zTAMhh2gcV35WQLQcG35_k0nA
I will probably delete my OneDrive files for this report tomorrow, by the way.

Hmm, okay :frowning: The manifests don’t mention any USB ids, not sure if SteamVR uses this for discovery for this driver.

We’d need to go back and check if we can remove our USB discovery workaround - it was only necessary to fix bugs that should’ve been fixed by Valve but weren’t - for now if this helps I can whitelist the specific USB device you mentioned (HoloLens Sensors). Here’s a build with it whitelisted; if this works I can submit this change for a future Roblox release, otherwise we’d need to get an MR device and figure this out which will take time.

(remember that VR would only activate in Play sessions in Studio)

4 Likes

IT WORKS!!! :grinning:

Controllers also work. They show as the Vive controllers, but the track pads act as if they were the buttons they are mapped to on the Vive. Thanks so much! :smile:

2 Likes

Just to confirm, the patch seems like it will work. Dell one worked without a problem.

Nice; the change missed the cutoff for 326 so it will ship the week after the next one (basically end of February)

2 Likes

Will this fix also take effect onto other brand of headsets?

If you mean the Microsoft Mixed Reality headsets, it should fix the Acer, ASUS (coming soon), Samsung, Dell, HP, and Lenovo versions. If you don’t, Rift and Vive should be unaffected, but others may not work. I haven’t tested ones like the Razer OSVR HDK2, nor have I heard it mentioned.

1 Like

I use a method with my PlaystationVR headset. Using a program called TrinusPSVR, it hooks the headset up to steam, the same method works with phone headsets.

It used to work with Roblox but then suddenly stopped, I understand if no support is intended for this devices, it’s just a convenience.