Modesty layer should not be required on bundles that support 2D Clothing

This needs a bump, there’s such a simple solution to this irritating problem that’s preventing so many cool character designs because of the ‘idea’ of an impeccable minority who could abuse it. Just overlay clothes over the modesty layer like the classic bundles already do when insufficient clothing is equipped…

5 Likes

I don’t think anyone believes that’s what they’re actually afraid of, they know more about their own systems than anyone else, I think they just want to push 3D Clothing more with this update.

6 Likes

Honestly I think the real fix for this is for Roblox to provide several “default” pieces of layered clothing that are UV mapped such that they’re compatible with legacy 2D clothing (Not sure how possible this is). Then users can wear these default layered clothes with their own custom clothing textures applied, resolving the modesty layer issue. It might be nice for users to be able to create their own retexturable layered clothing assets as well.

5 Likes

Seeing as this issue is still prominent, and as much as we have had a response from Roblox (them changing the wiki), I want to bump this thread as almost all of the UGC creators I’ve seen talking about this agree with me.
Modesty layers should not be required on 2D clothing compatible bundles! If Roblox’ default modesty layer on 2d clothing doesn’t work correctly, it isn’t our problem, and it isn’t our hurdle to surpass!

For the love of god, find a solution for this. This is just injuring our creative process.

13 Likes

i just had 80% of my outfits tab nuked yesterday because moderation decided properly uv-mapped 2D clothing is too revealing on UGC bundles. Apparently the thousands of robux I spent on all of my 2D clothes isn’t being supported anymore on newer features, so if I want to wear my 2D clothing in the way they were intended to be worn, I’m unable to support UGC bundle creators. I have to wear non-UGC ROBLOX-uploaded bundles before it was decided that was an issue.

8 Likes

Yup… opened up Roblox today and half my characters had the content deleted icon because they use either an R6 converter or a skinned R15 bundle. Totally harmless packages that are removed for not having a modesty layer despite being fully mapped for 2D clothing - it just makes no sense. It’s especially annoying since those particular bundles are meant to address long standing problems people have with Roblox’s own implementation of R15 (and their stance on R6) which I’d bet they wont act on despite removing the workarounds :woozy_face:

9 Likes

This is ridiculous. Correctly UV mapped bodies already have the 2D modesty layer by default, there was no need to ban and remove bundles. Roblox Team, I understand you despise and want to eradicate 2D clothing in favor of your “Metaverse and 3D Layered Clothing!!!” obsession; it still doesn’t make it any less ridiculous. 2D clothing should never be removed, I don’t understand why you want to bury core parts of Roblox’s identity with the AWFUL decisions you have been making lately. I feel absolutely 0 desire to ever spend on Roblox after this, did you think this would be a great business decision? Of course you would, because the shareholders and the children are going to spend regardless of how much you screw over the community. You don’t care about your users, that much is clear.

3 Likes

Many experiences I know of do not support layered clothing and never will, regardless of how ‘accessible’ Roblox makes it to implement. On top of this, many avatars simply don’t work well with layered clothing and most likely never will just due to their design. Forcing a modesty layer assumes that every experience and player will support layered clothing, which, given the above statement, isn’t truly reasonable to assume.

Ironically Roblox recently deleted the R6 in R15 bundle (which I can only assume was for this reason) when it was actually allowing me to use R15 (which I can assume Roblox would want given that they have been pushing R15 so heavily) without having to sacrafice the R6 style of my current avatar. Now my avatar is stuck in limbo, I either have to switch my avatar to actual R6 and disable my dynamic head or use the R15 avatar. Both require me to accept that Roblox has unutterly ruined my avatar.

Until this can be addressed, I can’t truly say that I have the power to truly express myself through my avatar because my dream avatar requires 2D clothing and as we can here, unless I’m willing to model the entire character myself and bake the clothing on, it isn’t happening. :sad:

5 Likes

the only way that i can think of is by making a gray transparent modesty layer like Ethron does on his packages. Literally the only way to make 2d clothing look good while having a modesty layer. Process is annoying af. Already went through pain of uv mapping then i get to edit a texture to be transparent but still visible. So fun :smiley:

1 Like

I stand by my original opinion that requiring a modesty layer on 2D clothing compatible avatars is completely ridiculous and is only being enforced because of pure ignorance. It’s clear that 2D Clothing is the more popular option. Since Public UGC it’s become even more apparent just how many people prefer 2D Clothing and faces.

“People can abuse it” is such a flimsy excuse.

9 Likes

That’s why moderation exists. Doesn’t matter if it’s bad or not, it exists, it makes sure the asset is fine to be uploaded. If an inappropriate asset somehow slips through, then very likely it won’t last long (unless moderation is literally bad).
But yeah, it is a poor excuse indeed.

5 Likes

I see no IP violation here. Yep.

1 Like

I understand that it’s merely a fallback in this case, but the fact that creators have to go to THIS LENGTH to keep their stuff up is absurd.

5 Likes

Roblox does not want to support dynamic heads on R6 even though they can easily do it :cry:

2 Likes

I used to literally dream (Like, while asleep) of a layered clothing system that was far better back in 2016-2017 that used modular 2D clothing to allow for complete customization. It also had support for things like socks and gloves, which are still yet to be a part of the 3D layered clothing system. I believe a format like this would receive far more love than its 3D counterpart.

hi NobleReign, i love your games :DD

5 Likes

They STILL got moderated. This is insane

2 Likes

Sadly roblox is afraid kids wont be exposed to a “naked” blocky avatar(Lol just a one color torso cube)

3 Likes

It’s probably because they were uploaded in two parts to let people combine the two packages to get around it. Just shows they aren’t listening and probably couldn’t care less even if they were.

People shouldn’t even feel the need to make workarounds for packages that are fully mapped for 2D clothing because they have a modesty layer anyway if you try to wear nothing. A lot of the potential UGC packages had is dead in the water because of this.

5 Likes

Pretty sure they look at the model and it’s texture in raw with no 2d clothing.
the idea to strictly force something about obscuring parts of an avatar that supports 2d clothing is meaningless.

1 Like

This is against the moderation policy, see this:

1 Like