Multiple words/phrases being filtered for no apparent reason

After a recent change to the Roblox chat filter, certain words and phrases listed below are now being filtered out in the chat of any experience, regardless of age rating. Any use of these words/phrases in chat, even without context or surrounding text will be tagged for no reason. This behavior is consistent across all account ages, whether under or over 13. The words in question are also being filtered across the Roblox website, meaning you are unable to search for them in experiences or add them to the title/description of any of your assets.

Affected words/phrases: therapist, scooter, supervisor

I don’t see a reason why most of these words/phrases should be censored at all, especially by themselves - I’m assuming this is an unintended side effect of a recent update to the chat filter to prevent bypasses. I’d normally use the filter review requests form (locked to Regulars) to report this, but it appears it has been somewhat abandoned seeing it hasn’t been reviewed in a while.

This issue has had a significant impact on multiple games where the words and phrases in question are commonly used.

Expected behavior

These words/phrases should not be tagged when sent in chat, especially by themself.

26 Likes

For your specific case, I think “staff” is censored because of impersonation reasons

It would be nice if there was some kind of AllowedTextTable (similar to localizationtables) that could be attached to a TextChannel… of course, there’s no way that would ever be implemented because anything bad that can happen, will happen

I think it would be funny if you used TextChatService.OnIncomingMessage to fork all messages and replace any 5-character censored strings that match "#####" with “staff”

8 Likes

Could do but I’d risk having the game banned - it’s against ToS to uncensor messages.

2 Likes

Hey there!

I tried clicking on it, and it says the page is private. Whats going on? Can you access it?

3 Likes

Yep, just confirmed the link works fine for me. Not sure why you can’t access it… might be locked to certain groups. Is there any info you were needing that I could provide (ex. the form link)? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It could be that Im just a Member, and your a Regular? :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Ah, you’re right - must be locked off to Regulars. Regardless, it seems like it’s been abandoned. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I have been contacted months ago about a Roblox staff (for privacy purposes, I won’t disclose) and it doesn’t seem to be abandoned as you say.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, when they filtered “potato”, I couldn’t get them to whitelist it thru that form either. Eventually, someone else just told me to file a bug report, and it was fixed after a week or so.

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve just noticed this while trying to alter a role on my group. Won’t even let me name a role in my own group with ‘Staff’ in it, seriously now?!

2 Likes

Still has to be worth filling the form in because that is absolutely outrageous.

2 Likes

Let me chime in this thread, saying “Welcome back” gets tagged aswell. What is going on?

4 Likes

The Roblox chat filter is going pretty crazy.

Words I know are filtered so far: “Back”, “Developer”, “Staff”
edit 1: “Improve”
edit 2: “Have” (come on guys, seriously)

3 Likes

I agree. I said “it gets tagged everything” boom all tags.

2 Likes

Just the word “server” is now being censored. Probably because of Discord servers but I was literally trying to say “He’s in the other server” while in a testing place :skull:

3 Likes

Yikes… seems like the chat filter has taken one step back in terms of strictness. Keep sending your words/phrases here and I’ll add them to the OP.

2 Likes

I can confirm this, its happening in any game I join.

This isn’t the regular behavior. I cannot have a conversation with anyone just chatting normally. This is recent behavior and I doubt its intended.

I cannot say ‘blocking’
the filter recently has been turning entire strings of text into hashtags for seemingly mundane/normal English words. It’s making it impossible to communicate with people.

2 Likes

Seems to have fixed now. Can say Welcome back as usual!

2 Likes

Yup. Seems these issues have now been resolved :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This issue might still be occurring, I’m starting to see words such as “button” and sometimes “tycoon” being filtered.

3 Likes