New Avatar Tab in Studio

Thank God that Roblox is doing this.
This was my 2nd biggest design complaint about Studio.
Love you!

1 Like

Lang issue

1 Like

Thank you very much for doing this. It was really annoying me that my entire plugin tab was full because of the many Plugins are FORCE ENABLED. This cleans my plugin tab again and I can have more plugins enabled too. Thanks!

There seems to be an issue with the animation editor and it’s really annoying because it’s literally unopenable.

EDIT : Changing the studio language setting back to english fixed the issue so if anyone else is having troubles just do that

2 Likes

ok now disable animation weight blending

2 Likes

I also have experienced this before and addressed upon #bug-reports:

Yet, this is quite off-topic in regards of the new feature at Roblox Studio.

Missed one

2 Likes

This is an awesome feature! Roblox Studio is more organized now. Before, every time you wanted to open one of these plugins, you would have to scroll through the plugins tab to find it. Now, you can just go to the avatar tab, and bam! All the things you need, right in one neat little tidy spot!

Thank you, Roblox, for making the development process more organized.

This was already addressed by roblox

2 Likes

I do not think this was a needed update, its nice it is organizing in one tab but you could have the same ability by creating a button. The tab part is a gimmick

The animation editor broke because of that, when I click on the animation editor icon nothing happens.
I can’t even write a topic in bug reports.

Edit: someone said that changing the language back to English solves the problem.
Weirdly enough, alot of Roblox bugs I encounter are due to language set to French. Long ago the avatar editor doesn’t show me the full list of accessories I have in my inventory and tells me that something went wrong.
So yeah there is a special place in hell for French people and this place is called Roblox.

4 Likes

god this is gonna take a long time to get used to. Atleast my plugin tab sin’t cluttered anymore

Nice! i like when roblox does amazing updates keep up the great work :+1:

One little addition I’d request for the Avatar Tab is rigtype settings when you’re playtesting in Studio. Unless you publish or set the UniverseId, your character is always defaulted to R15 (which can be disruptive to my workflow if I’m testing something made for R6.) I’ve had a lot of tools and animations break because it can’t find my Torso or RightArm due to renaming. It’d be easier to select from an Enum, or even just default to whatever your character currently has equipped.

1 Like

Now I can have more working space on the plugin’s tab, Rig and Animation Editor was taking way too much space before

When can we expect to create our own tabs in studio?

1 Like

The reason for this is that we want all the tools that you need to be available where you need them. Because the new importer will eventually completely replace the Avatar importer, it is important that it be available in the Avatar tab.

However the new importer is not only for importing avatars, it can also import 3D models and large non-avatar scenes. Because of this it doesn’t make sense for it to only exist in the Avatar tab.

We felt it made the most sense to have two places where you can access the importer in both contexts where you would want access to it.

We know this, and we are working on it. The reason that bulk import remains is that the new importer does not have the ability to import multiple files at the same time, or to import non-3D files. Because of this, we cannot remove the bulk importer yet; so it will be up to you and other creators to decide which importer best suits your needs for a given situation.

However we are actively working on finding a solution that can unify all the import paths and provide a superior experience to bulk importer for every use-case. It will take some time, but eventually the various different import paths will be unified.

2 Likes

Is it possible for you to elaborate slightly a bit of this? I quite got confused about what you meant by this part in your message…

If the new importer does not have these possibilities to do so, shouldn’t it be more efficient to have it in the specific tabs until with proper workflow for developers? I must say as from my perspective that if this new plugin can not import multiple files (whether for 3D avatars/models themselves), sincerely would make creators use “Bulk Import”.

Furthermore, I would like to know if there is any answer to this question of mine that I addressed in a bit (if possible)…

large non-avatar scenes

By this I meant just 3D “things” that don’t have any avatar concepts. Like a House you modeled in Blender. Or an entire village made out of meshes in Blender, etc…

Because these have nothing to do with avatar, it’s important that this importer not be exclusively available in the Avatar tab.

If the new importer does not have these possibilities to do so, shouldn’t it be more efficient to have it in the specific tabs until with proper workflow for developers? I must say as from my perspective that if this new plugin can not import multiple files (whether for 3D avatars/models themselves), sincerely would make creators use “Bulk Import”.

Not sure why you italicized “plugin”, in case you meant to say that plugins were less-than non-plugin features, let me reassure you, essentially every new major feature in Studio is now being implemented as a lua plugin. Some of the most fundamental things in studio are plugins. Like the 3D draggers (move, rotate, scale tools) are lua Plugins, same with the recent Material manager etc…

As for using “Bulk Import”; I agree, if you need to import a large number of files all at once, it is probably still the best tool for that. However for importing 3D files (avatars, models, etc…) this new importer is a far superior experience. You get a live 3D preview, a ton of configuration options, and clear specific errors and warnings to help you trouble-shoot issues.

The features that make the new importer better than Bulk Import are currently incompatible with the way that Bulk import was implemented, and we are working on unifying them as I pointed out.

So yes there will be a tradeoff: import multiple files simultaneously, or get rich UI, clear errors and warnings, and full customizability. We believe that if you only have a handful of files to import, you will be better served by the new importer.

Oh also, Bulk Import only works if a place is published which is why it can’t be on the ribbon, the new importer does not have this restriction :slight_smile:

Also, as an extra question , in regards to speaking of the Home tab, how come we have the option to insert a UI that just directs you to the UI tab while we can just simply add the frames and their types ( VideoFrame , ImageLabel , etc.) by pressing the + in StarterGui located at Explorer ?

Unfortunately I personally can’t speak to this. I don’t have the context for that feature sorry :confused:

3 Likes

Hey, thanks for the report, I’ve forwarded it to the animation editor team and they will get the text fixed!

1 Like