I am here to request a new material to be added to roblox

I want to make a shiny effect

But I am unable to do it with the available technology

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

286 Likes

To be honest, this material should be added, as the current roblox material list does not have all options we want.
Indieun, great idea, hope this get added!

Good luck in your games!

49 Likes

Bringing in something new can make things really exciting. It’s like adding a cool twist to what we already know. It sparks our interest and opens up fresh opportunities we might not have thought of before. So yeah, trying out new ideas can totally shake things up in awesome ways!

27 Likes

this should be added, its a very cool alternative to other chrome textures. It looks very good with low poly aswell.

23 Likes

Thats a lot of braining right there. Looks really really cool and we definitely need more materials like this. We need more shiny materials. This is very genius!

20 Likes

This should 100% be added. It will simplify the process of making a shiny object because it takes hundreds of meshes for just one.

17 Likes

I hope roblox actually adds that after having a detailed explanation.

19 Likes

i actually love to see this added to roblox, or a way to create your own materials so they work like this.

13 Likes

Very nice! Would definitely use this! It would make a great addition.

14 Likes

Roblox really needs to add this. This would be perfect for some of my games. :pray:

13 Likes

I’ve needed a material similar to this for a long while now. It would be awesome if Roblox added it!

14 Likes

I honestly think that we need more than just this material, for example, the roblox PBR texture support is absolutely horrendous! The normal maps are barely visible and we can’t even use displacement. Plus, the fact that there are barely any good materials by default in the engine.

14 Likes

i like how not only you just suggested the idea of the material but also explained how it would work, this would be a great material. roblox should def add this, and I’m not even saying that cause of your video, I legitimately think this should be added

7 Likes

I wonder how this would look on more high poly models, or basic shapes?

5 Likes

Hey, can you cut the youtuber nonsense and actually write the feature request? Not a single soul with agency to affect this platform is going to watch this, especially not with the downright unbearably slow pace these videos move.

The bug report and feature request categories are not the place for this kind of media, be a little more professional, your audience is Roblox staff. Not kids on youtube.

Without investing the mental effort to listen to this I can already tell you that SurfaceAppearance does what you want. If it is not sufficient for your purposes, you’ll have to clearly explain why in text. Please refer to the guidelines here.

32 Likes

Can’t wait to add that extra sparkle to my creations and bring them to life with gleaming brilliance! Well implemented!:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Really cool idea, I personally would use it for games I make. Well done and great idea Indium!

1 Like

How exactly will this benefit my game? I already have Roughness and Metalness maps.

2 Likes

I doubt this is by far the best idea, especially one that includes giving us a new map, I can find more use in an emission map than a shiny map.

2 Likes

The best one that i’ve seen.
Not the best one of all time.

Does that make it clear?

1 Like