New Selfie Mode Developer Module

It’s asking permission for me, is it asking permission for you on your phone? For all either of us know it could be some other reason that’s completely ok, or maybe just some visual bug that’s causing the permission to not appear in the “Allowed” section of permissions. Maybe the app in the permissions is actually some sort of dummy app that’s just there because an update gave the actual app a new name that split them into two.

I think this is something for Roblox engineers to solve, I don’t think someone’s immediate reaction should be “ROBLOX IS SPYING ON US” just because it saved a picture, given that it actually asks for permission on some people’s phones.

I wasn’t talking about Roblox, just android apps in general. I’ll DM when I test it on my phone.

What about disabling the menu icon when a screenshot’s taken from the ScreenshotHud? Would really improve quality and isn’t required since the Roblox logo’s already included below, IMO…

3 Likes

This fires the ScreenshotHud, which is a Roblox-provided screenshot button.

IOW: We can’t initiate a screenshot ourselves and fill a person’s device with screenshots of a troll face, sadly…

5 Likes

This is because Android apps have their own reserved place to store their downloaded files.

Also, if this is not the case, did it save the image while you said allow?

1 Like

Do I have to repeat the fact that Roblox saved it in the public directory without even asking me for any permission?

It’s probably not much of a deal, just concerned.

Very weird. Roblox should at least ask for permission before doing this.

Although this is more on the android side of things, I’m not sure what’s going on here and what permissions apps have and don’t have by default.

1 Like

The API being used is ScreenshotHud, which you can find as an instance under GuiService. Through ScreenshotHud you are able to position the camera button, which is what allows users to take a screenshot. We opted to keep the API for screenshotting in CoreScripts due to safety concerns, though we are interested in exposing it for developers in the future

When it comes to Roact, I hear you, it’s not the most friendly for developers. To remedy this we work hard to create a comprehensive API for our Dev Modules so that you never have to dig into the underlying codebase. Think of a Dev Module like being handed a new instance. But there’s always room for improvement, so if you have any specific functionality you can’t get from the API please let us know!

5 Likes

Not to be that guy, but isn’t there more important features that should be focused on instead of “selfies”?

3 Likes

I tested this feature and it appears that it does not hide the mouse in the screen shot leaving the hand icon in the resulting picture. I think this needs to be addressed. It would also be good if it would hide the roblox icon in the top left since the image is already being branded with the Roblox logo in the bottom right. Furthermore it would be very helpful if there were pre and post events that could fire so we can do our own management of showing and or hiding things within our UI.

4 Likes

At this point Roblox makes what they want, and updates how they want :man_shrugging:

About the resource, no hate on the developers working to help developers with free modules! I’m really interested in the screenshot feature it provides, although I bet the rest could be interesting to dig into!

1 Like

You need to look beyond just the “selfie” player aspect of this update. This gives players the ability to take branded photos within our experiences that will undoubtably be posted on social media leading to additional exposure and game promotion with no expense to the developer. I would say that’s a big win for all developers that choose to implement this into their experiences.

8 Likes

Everything works except something. When you open it, you don’t see the button that allows you to take the picture
image_2022-07-15_163136419

1 Like

How do you manage to actually screenshot the client and put it in the screenshot folder?

Really curious on how you do this with normal scripts.

2 Likes

You can’t, but you can open the GUI that takes the screenshot.

1 Like

There is likely a reason why your friend has joins off, Roblox should always respect privacy settings no-matter the scenario. In-fact Roblox is still falling-behind in respecting these settings requiring people (like me) who are testing experiences under an NDA to be selective with who we friend.

Personally I feel that this should be up to the game developer.

VoiceChat API would satisfy this enough so games can handle all this themselves.

ScreenshotHUD API will be announced in a seperate announcement, they probably should have announced that first so people don’t get confused.

Yeah, would be nice to see more functionality being exposed to developers, currently developers are locked to specific UI that does not fit the style of most games and is inconsistent because functions that communicate with CoreScripts tend to not be maintained (for example, the PromptFriendRequest CoreGui via SetCore hasn’t been updated since 2017 and looks horrible)

4 Likes

I really like this module and will be incorporating it into Pizza Place. I’d like to make my own changes to the module but this is difficult because I have no Roact experience. There needs to be an option to hide the game name and the Roblox logo. The text clutters up the screen and is too large on mobile. https://gyazo.com/86eee8693a3afb30b2ce81b3d0a1848c

8 Likes

This is really interesant, popular games like ‘Work at a pizza place’ will make popular the privacy problem quickly.

2 Likes

Hi! Let me clarify a few things:

When I said join friends who have joins off I mean that the user must send the invite still. My friend has her joins off so she has to join MY game if we play together. This also fixes the problem and feature request of joining games of “people I follow”. This prevents other friends from joining your game if you’re playing with a specific friend.

The point of the party channel would help with private messaging with more than 1 player. Right now, if you whisper, your other friends who are playing cannot see them so you have to either put it in global chat or use voice chat. If the game disabled the chat UI or only allow the chat bubbles to appear, that would also prevent party chat.

Party Voice chat would allow users to communicate without being close to each other and would also allow your voice chat to be more private. While discord, skype, and such fix this, it can be inconvenient to some people and you must also friend and communicate on those platforms. I think if everyone at the party had a voice chat and could speak at the moment, they would. Roblox has the technology to do so and wouldn’t be the most difficult.

3 Likes

Damn this actually looks pretty cool!

3 Likes