New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

WOW!

I would love to opt-in Tower Defenders. My game prominently introduces high quality graphics and one way I do that is with Textures.

With these amazing new build-in materials I can totally see the memory & network load dramatically improve if I can remove most Texture objects.

Game ID: 2369647980 or here

Amazing job Roblox!

15 Likes

Hold up… @WoodReviewer needs to have a talk with you guys.

Jokes aside, this is amazing! I almost cried when I saw this… :sob:Also, will there be updates to the water, especially the ability to add better puddles.

Opt In
Place ID: 5747748203

12 Likes

This is awesome, so much more variety to choose from. This would go great with terrain blending! :mountain_snow:

Can’t wait for the day terrain smoothly combines with terrain water too!

47 Likes

LOOK AT THIS! Honestly this is amazing.

53 Likes

Opt In
Place ID:6106346000
This update looks very very very very NICE!

5 Likes

Does this terrain impact performance? This is insane improvement and I wouldn’t be surprised if there were any performance issues.

How about neon terrain? Or the ability to insert our own terrain?

8 Likes

Looks amazing I already what to get my hands on them all, new decoration types for moving flowers would be top notch. New Rock Materials for hill and mountains would also be amazing to see.

4 Likes

Nice update. I can’t wait for new terrains and parts!

4 Likes

This is amazing for builders! I see so much potential for this update. I honestly can’t wait to use this! :smiley:

5 Likes

There is an intent to add more wood materials to cover more needs, including for parts! You’ll be able to compare materials in the beta when it releases!

40 Likes

A couple questions:

1. Is the changing of the names of the materials going to make games that are not updated unplayable?
  2. How do you opt in? As stated in this post you said “its opt-in” and “you have to apply” for it in the same paragraph, its quite confusing
    This material update will be part of an opt-in beta initially. You will have the option to turn it on in Studio and see their impact on your games. We will also take applications for whitelisting places so you can publish your game with the new materials for users to see!
14 Likes

I have a question. Where is the feature where we can turn it on? Is it in Studio Settings or the site?

6 Likes

Has smoothing terrain become any different? Personally I find it difficult to get a result that doesn’t look weird and bumpy, like you can see the individual layers used.

5 Likes

Wow, super excited for this. I would love to get these features added to this place ID:

(Maybe even this one if you can add two of them: 4614975446 :heart: )

6 Likes

Will water have the ability to slope instead of just being flat/terraced? It currently isn’t smooth at all, and I have to opt with parts.

21 Likes

Amazing! Next step from here on is to allow us to create custom PBR textures not just for Meshes, but Parts as-well.

That’s already a feature request

10 Likes

We do plan on allowing developers to control their own terrain in the near future. Please keep an eye out on the forum for for details on that soon!

47 Likes

Wow! This looks good! I cannot wait! I can wait. This will be really nice to have for roleplay game developers. Looking forward to seeing what will be done with this. I hope we have more features for terrain in the future!

11 Likes

Hey, I would like to ask if would be plausible to be able to utilize terrain grass on normal parts. Currently our studio’s game puts terrain under normal parts, which caused really bad LoD, as Roblox tries optimizing stuff out.

I’ve posted a suggestion regarding this already; Allow for terrain grass / decoration on parts

21 Likes

Could we have more versions of fabric, and metals? It would be useful for carpets and etc…

17 Likes