Allow for terrain grass / decoration on parts

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to implement grass on parts, and currently the only solution is to set a very thin layer of terrain and position a part in a manner where you can see the grass, but not the terrain (e.g it’s just a tiny bit above the terrain, but under the grass).

This in itself is already a very messy way of implementing this, and since terrain also can’t perfectly take the shape of a part, you’d usually have to make the part slightly bigger and re-position it, as terrain is aligned differently.

Now, I have tried this and it does indeed work in the end, but the problem doesn’t end just there.
With StreamingEnabled on in my game, Roblox attempts to stitch between terrain LODs at long distances to reduce lag, and don’t get me wrong it’s great, but it causes ‘ghost terrain’ which shows two terrain parts connected together, when they’re not and aren’t even visible (because the terrain parts are put under parts to simulate part grass), which means you can’t even have grass on parts as it’d be messy at long distances.
I’m aware this is being fixed, but this nevertheless does not fix the other concerns of needlessly wasting memory, having to adjust our parts to align with the grid, and much more.

It’s inherently better to put grass on parts directly rather than putting ‘invisible terrain’ with grass under it as it’s both messy and unoptimized. You also have to reposition and resize said parts to align with the grass, which in some cases can add a lot more unnecessary work. Adding grass onto parts internally amends all of the addressed issues, while also maintaining much greater customization to games.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it would remove any possible issues that I’ve had previously, and also put much less strain on the game, as you would only have terrain grass (which should not have any impact) considering you only have grass instead of adding actual terrain blocks under every part in games built with normal parts only.

99 Likes

I’d like to bump this topic due to the fact that this issue is starting to occur again, with much more visible terrain LOD stitching than previously.
Here is a GIF, provided by one of our game’s early access testers:
https://gyazo.com/b66348b9e07b8dd591e55293fb3bc597

Here is a video of me showing some really bad LOD stitching:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/385151591998816257/779776320745373706/6qvaIUL4nx.mp4
If this could be at least alleviated somewhat, that would be great. The stitching was much better previously!
EDIT:
I’d like to mention that the video was played with the highest graphic settings.

28 Likes

I would like to bump this once more, as with me trying to optimize our studio’s map, it becomes exponentially harder to balance between detail & memory + overall performance. I have considered creating my own custom grass system, but sadly no matter how I tried, it has always turned out to be way less performant - and believe me when I say I’ve tried everything, as I tried beams, decals, wedges & much more. It is very hard to keep detail when issues such as terrain LoD still prevail on for instance lower-end devices.

Our studio’s game simply looks way better with grass, and it is not something we can go back on at this point.

28 Likes

Support. This would be incredibly useful alongside some properties to control how dense the grass is and the height of it.

In my use case, I would be using it for a soccer pitch with lines, and unfortunately terrain does not really match the building style I’m going for.
This would be an tremendous visual improvement for all soccer games on Roblox, which currently either use particles to achieve some grass on pitch (which doesn’t look particularly good, and only covers a limited amount of area due to particle limitations), or just don’t bother doing anything and have no 3D grass at all.

Here’s a comparison between FIFA 16 and Roblox:

FIFA 16 (Has 3D grass):

Roblox, game I work on (No 3D grass on parts):

21 Likes

I fully support this. Decoration on parts would make games look so much more immersive. The issue right now is that there isn’t a good way to make realistic grass similar to terrain grass.

Similar to what Pyseph tried, I spent a few minutes making a grass generator for my game (involving raycasts, beams) and it felt impossible trying to optimize the performance.

17 Likes

bumping this, terrain is a ton of unnecessary voxels for our case, but the decoration grass is what we need to apply to standard parts.

2 Likes