New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

I have a question. Where is the feature where we can turn it on? Is it in Studio Settings or the site?

5 Likes

Has smoothing terrain become any different? Personally I find it difficult to get a result that doesn’t look weird and bumpy, like you can see the individual layers used.

5 Likes

Wow, super excited for this. I would love to get these features added to this place ID:

(Maybe even this one if you can add two of them: 4614975446 :heart: )

6 Likes

Will water have the ability to slope instead of just being flat/terraced? It currently isn’t smooth at all, and I have to opt with parts.

22 Likes

Amazing! Next step from here on is to allow us to create custom PBR textures not just for Meshes, but Parts as-well.

That’s already a feature request

9 Likes

We do plan on allowing developers to control their own terrain in the near future. Please keep an eye out on the forum for for details on that soon!

46 Likes

Wow! This looks good! I cannot wait! I can wait. This will be really nice to have for roleplay game developers. Looking forward to seeing what will be done with this. I hope we have more features for terrain in the future!

11 Likes

Hey, I would like to ask if would be plausible to be able to utilize terrain grass on normal parts. Currently our studio’s game puts terrain under normal parts, which caused really bad LoD, as Roblox tries optimizing stuff out.

I’ve posted a suggestion regarding this already; Allow for terrain grass / decoration on parts

21 Likes

Could we have more versions of fabric, and metals? It would be useful for carpets and etc…

18 Likes

HOLY CRAP, THIS LOOKS AMAZING!!! Glad to see roblox taking a step further into graphics!!

8 Likes

I can’t wait! I’m super excited to see what environmental artist’s do with it

3 Likes

EDIT: Clone came out and said none of the assets for this are deployed, meaning even if the flags worked, nothing would happen

This looks amazing, progressive as always. We’ve come a long way from the old voxel terrain.

A small question on getting this enabled, I generally like to modify the flags of Studio to test features early cough EditPivot cough (since I do partially know what I’m doing), however no effort of changing them seems to get it enabled.

I’m assuming there’s some controller preventing the BetaFeature flags from working.

(also opt in on my studio testing place: 5653258395)

7 Likes

WOW! I’m SO excited for this update! I’d love to have this feature in my upcoming game, as we’re striving for a more realistic likely game!

GameID; 6062979466

6 Likes

I’m not gonna lie, there are times where I really miss voxel terrain. I used to make streets and roads with it a lot.

6 Likes

Roblox is slowly becoming unity with their updates

9 Likes

AMAZING! RTX Roblox came early!

6 Likes

This looks beautiful! I would love to Opt-In for this.

Place ID: 6106391720

5 Likes

Improvements to the terrain itself are coming down the road, but are separate from these material updates. Keep an eye out!

24 Likes

This is huge news indeed. I’ve been looking forward to this for a while now, and I’m glad it’s far more then I imagined when hearing it announced initially! Awesome work to all the team members involved on this project.

How do we apply to have our games whitelisted?

13 Likes

Yes This is Something That I really wanted for my realistic England Terrain map.
I am going to stay in tuned for what next to come.
I’d Opt In for testing my Map for theses materials too. ID:5979285184

5 Likes