New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

You can have sub-menus quite easily, or even just use the properties tab. Or just make a library tab, or something. Not hard.

Someone made a very good mockup, I can’t find it but if you scroll up, it made it so if you hover over a material it shows the two variants next to it as small icons.

I know some people will say they can’t co-exist, but if people choose to use both at once and it looks bad, that’s the developer’s fault, not Roblox’s fault.

It’s still more options, and in this case, that’s a good (and needed) thing. This would stop all arguments from both ends besides this complete nonsense about mobile download times.

1 Like

what do you mean by custom engine tweaks?

I do not appreciate the old materials being fully replaced, maybe a PBR replacement with the same Images would be helpful? One update that can make a person have to redo their whole aesthetic design does not sound good.

The new materials look good, but replacing the old ones…

2 Likes

honestly it may be for the best. they could just have another pull down tab for legacy textures. I feel like this is the only way to make both sides happy

Well that changes a lot.

Just add a freaking option to use legacy textures, that’s all we’re asking (AND YOU’RE STILL NOT GONNA LISTEN)

3 Likes

I have uploaded Roblox’s now legacy textures in a handy GitHub repository.

They are currently available in .dds (which is convertable to .png using GIMP), but .png conversions will be coming very soon.

4 Likes

This actually isn’t particularly bad compared to many of the other examples, everything in it continues to have a very similar vibe to it, the road is oddly dark and seams and it’s texture seams to clash but aside from that the whole build keeps the same atmosphere and general look.

Thanks @overflowed ! thats awesome, now the old materials can be PBR’d

1 Like

Should we be able to mod these into our files to restore the old materials should we so desire?

Yes, you can overwrite them in your local files, but obviously it’ll only be visible to you.

I’m trying not to be angry… LISTEN! This whole new terrain and part material were NOT good at all. Removing the old material texture that we currently have just to replace with this new material texture was unnecessary. Please, just listen to the developer. All new material textures don’t look good on their building creation. Some of them like wooden plank and wood material looks okay.

PLEASE! Keep the old material and let us have an option to use both and old material at the same time from what I said from the previous new material announcement post! I’ve said the same thing so. Smh

Sorry for the one-second reply because I save this message to post later so.

5 Likes

Steps to locally overwrite the textures in your game files have been outlined in the .README file of the repo.

I actually really love the smooth, lighter, and optimized feel of the new textures. I always found the old ones to be too detailed/ contrasty. Im looking forward to the performance updates as well. I want the people behind this update to know that they are loved by somebody :joy: I can understand people’s frustrations as in some cases it does change their style but I have been through many growing pains on roblox throughout the years and in these times we need to adapt, overcome, improvise. Plus it seems like we will be able to upload these legacy materials into the new custom option you will be coming out with. Maybe it will be nice to have a legacy pack?

My only complaint would be the tiling is obvious in some materials compared to their predecessors. That in some cases would be a breaking point for me on deciding to use these materials and would have to get worked on.

4 Likes

This comment almost seems like it was made for the sole purpose to poke at those upset with this change.

Sorry you see it that way. I know others will disagree and we can leave it at that. Not at all an attack on anybody saying this is a hard change. For our situation, it was an easy swap.

Where is your source that this improves performance?

Perhaps things have changed, but this was the reason given to us by Roblox in the last materials change maybe 7? years ago. This was before the dev forum existed.

It also helps when you’re one of the top devs on Roblox who has an entire team

It’s just me building this world. Appreciate you thinking we have a team. We definitely work hard to get the content out we do.

16 Likes

How would it overcomplicate things? I’m sure it’s 100% possible to simply add a checkbox to the Workspace object called LegacyMaterialsEnabled that can be unchecked/check to switch between the two material groups. Even if keeping the legacy materials will cost maybe a few seconds of extra loading time, it’s worth it to not absolutely destroy 90% of builds on Roblox.

5 Likes

Adding onto this, in the post at the top of this thread from Roblox,

For example, authoring marketplace content that looks and acts as intended in a world with two sets of materials is much more challenging. Application download times would also be significantly increased, especially as we expand the material library.

4 Likes

Don’t let an earthworm crawling on the ground ruin your day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow; I just saw your edit. :grimacing:

The point was that it shouldn’t even be like that, we want the old materials, and for this to be an option.

6 Likes

Theres still stuff that needs to be changed.

1. Grass, please improve its so bad. It looks bland and boring and makes builds look a bit mushy and is so flat.

2. Bricks. IMO I think it looks pretty good. Though issue is from a far it doesn’t really look that good, not just that it needs more depth it looks a bit flat. Also it looks WAYY too clean. Dirty it up a tad bit. Also make some parts a darker shade. Not too dark but noticeable. Something like in the old brick texture it has darker parts to imitate how it looks in real life. Also I think the texture should be roughened up a bit. Looks a bit too smooth.

3. WoodPlanks. I think it looks pretty good but I think it looks a bit boring though. Also I think the screws should be more bigger and more noticeable.

4. Wood. I think the newer one looks better then in the older build, but it looks too smooth. It should looks more grainy I guess you could say.

5. Corroded metal. I dont like it. The corrosion looks like a blurry mess. I think you should make it tile more so it hides the blurriness and looks better on smaller parts. Also sorry but the corrosion kind of looks like barf. This should 100% be improved.

6. Sandstone. Not really much to say here but it kind of looks a bit rubbery. But on parts it looks so bad. It lacks depth and detail on parts. Here’s a comparison.

7. Slate. It needs to be rougher, it looks wayy too smooth and makes builds look a lot worse. Please I beg you to make it a lot more rougher this really needs to be done.

8. Sand. It needs to tile less. On the older builds it tiled less and looked a lot better. Also the waves should be more smoother they look a bit rough. Also shadows look a bit weird and grainy on it. Heres what I mean

Also theres still this weird shiny grid pattern on sand

Seems to only happen on terrain. Also the sand material looks kind of wet on terrain. I dont know if it happens on parts I dont think it does. Heres what I mean

It should look more dryer, it looks kind of metallic and wet.

9. Pavement. I really like it, though I think it should tile a bit more. BUT theres one huge issue. Pavement on terrain should look the same as on parts. It looks absolutely discusting on terrain. Wooden planks on terrain does look a bit worse though it doesn’t really look as bad as pavement.

10. Cobblestone. I really like it to be honest, it looks very nice and realistic. BUT on terrain it looks so much worse, it also tiles more for some reason. Make it look the same on terrain like it does on parts please. It makes builds look mushy.

11. Cracked Lava. I love it. It really does look amazing. But it tiles more on terrain and I’d like it to tile just as much as it does on terrain, it looks better like that.

12. Limestone. It looks great I really like it, but on parts it should be brigthened up. Currently theres not really any good colours for it. Its either Yellow bluish or Yellow greenish or just dark yellow. I want to be able to make it look similar as terrain. Even if I use the same colour as it is on terrain it doesn’t look the same.

13. Salt. Not much to say it looks nice. But in shadow it looks really weird

14. Concrete. I think it looks pretty good but one issue is that its not really that noticeable. Especially in shadows. Also the roughness should be turned up more. It looks wet.

15. Asphalt. Up close it looks pretty nice but if you got farther it just looks like noise.

16. Fabric. I think it should tile more. Thats all I have to say. Just needs to tile a bit more.

17. Diamond Plate. It looks good in certain scenarios. If its in a room illuminated by lights in future, it looks great. But if its outside it looks really plasticly, or if its in a room being illuminated by lights in voxel or shadowmap. Heres a before and after.

Before

After

It looks plasticky and not that great.

1. Leafy grass. I dont like leafy grass that much, It doesn’t really blend well together with regular grass. It should use the same grass texture but with leaves. No changes. Also why isn’t there a stem for the leaves? All it looks like is just a bunch of yellow ovals that have been torn

2. Plastic. Please make it more noticeable, it seems to be even less noticeable then before. Its barley noticeable at all.

KEEP THE OLD TEXTURES

I understand the reasons not to but cant you stream them like how you stream game content and custom textures? Sure it might not be as efficent but its better then ruining how people wanted it too look like before this update.

Also Im hoping these materials I’ve suggested get added

13 Likes