New unsightly Roblox UI element has no way to be disabled

I believe this was an oversight as I can’t figure out why this button would be here without an option to disable it on the developer end. Note I have a correct implementation of disabling all core GUIs, as none of the other GUIs show up.

I’ve just spent 2-3 months working with Roblox’s difficult portait mode implementation. Just as I was finally finishing up the UI I wake up to find this element. It’s blocking yet another corner of my UI.

I think someone forgot to add a way to disable it. The feature itself is quite useless because most users already know how to take screenshots on their device. That aside, the UI completely destroys developer artistic freedom by placing yet another permanent element in a critical location on the screen.

Here’s an example of how it disrupts my UI. I don’t want to move my close button. The top corner is a standard location that every user is used to. This is unnecessary UI element creates more clutter on the users screen without adding any new functionality.

76 Likes

I think they should put the screenshot button into the Roblox menu instead. I often disable all CoreGuis in order to remove that button, but with the new screenshot button this can’t be done anymore. Any games that rely on this behavior (by placing important UI objects in that area of the screen) could already be broken by this change.

7 Likes

I’m 100% sure that Roblox has moved the screenshot button to the Main Menu as seen in this image I captured on a baseplate:

So yeah, I assume that Roblox has solved the issue.

3 Likes

same issue here :-1::-1::-1:

15 Likes

That button in the menu is definitely new, but the button that this bug report is asking to be removed is still there as well.

6 Likes

This new UI element is blocking one of our buttons on mobile in our game Splash (see the top-right corner). We have previously disabled all CoreGui elements

Would be great to get some info on how to disable it or, if it’s here to stay, let us know if we need to update our interface.

8 Likes

It would definitely be really helpful if there was an option to disable this new UI element. For example, in Astro Force, we use the top-right corner to display some stats to players. While it isn’t too hard for us to shift the numbers in our game a bit to the left, I imagine there are many other games that will have a much harder time adapting to this change – especially mobile games, which are severely limited in screen real estate already. For example, the top-right corner often contains a close button for a menu you may be in.

I’m sure many games plan their UI with the expectation that the top-right corner of the screen remains free, and suddenly enabling this without a way to disable it is definitely a bit frustrating to see.

9 Likes

This definitely is an annoyance, a lot of roblox clans use custom leaderboards with custom backpacks. In my case I’m using a rendition of 2015-2020 roblox leaderboard. This button now interferes with the top bar

(Blocking personal stats KOs)

5 Likes

100% agree, it’s an eyesore and not needed in all games. We need a way to disable it.

Happens on desktop aswell.

9 Likes

Also same problem here:

local starterGui = game:GetService(“StarterGui”)
starterGui:SetCore(“TopbarEnabled”, false)

Output:
“SetCore: TopbarEnabled has not been registered by the CoreScripts”

1 Like

Looking into what happened here so we can fix this ASAP.

22 Likes

I am not seeing this problem.
FWIW my SetCore() for TopbarEnabled false is wrapped in a pcall() and
does 5 tries separated by 2 tenths of a second.
(I have not checked on if or how many retries there are, but I’ve never had the icon remain.)
Prior to that I call SetCoreGuiEnabled( Enum.CoreGuiType.EmotesMenu, false ) among others.

Apparently it just got reverted.

What happened was the screenshot button getting added to this menu. This button is removed if you call StarterGui:SetCoreGuiEnabled and disable everything that appears in it, but the screenshot button was slapped in which cannot be disabled, breaking every instance where developers had intentionally disabled the contents to make the button be removed.

Developers need to be able to disable intrusive CoreGui UI in a first-class way. Currently, random piecemeal features can be interacted with via StarterGui:SetCore. This is not first-class, these settings seem implemented as an afterthought.

We need to be able to set the visibility of all buttons in the topbar without affecting the functionality of their features, and we need to be able to interact with these features to show their respective menus via our own code.

Roblox has a massive mobile userbase and forcing developers to have core UI that they likely just want to disable and rewrite themselves to save screen space is inane. Improving the options available to SetCore and making the addition of these options mandatory for all new CoreGui features would allow us to collapse all of the functionality of the topbar buttons into our own menus without actually disabling those features.

9 Likes

We have fixed this, thanks everyone for the info. @ScriptOn you also mentioned that portrait mode has been difficult to use. We would be happy to hear your issues to investigate if we can make this smoother. Really appreciate developers trying this mode out, so want to make sure it is as easy to use as possible!

15 Likes

So we need a Enum.CoreGuiType.Screenshot ?

110% agreed. It is indescribably mundane to have to consistently redo the majority of the CoreGui standard elements for every project I work on.

The API for interfacing with said elements needs a serious overhaul. Hell, one could argue that the entire CoreGui suite itself needs to be redone - but this isn’t the place for me to parade those ideas around lol.

2 Likes

Here’s a few issues that I haven’t had any response on. Thank you for checking them out!

3 Likes

I know you weren’t speaking to me specifically, but here’s another mobile feature that would be nice for it to be considered!

1 Like

We are aware of the loading screen going horizontal first issue. Have been tracking this but it has been a bit more difficult to address than initially thought. Will check on the status of this.

5 Likes