Newline Character doesn't work on kick messages

It is serversided, not on the client.

it doesnt seem to work in studio let me try to publish.

1 Like

Yeah it doesn’t work on studio nor in-game, atleast for me that is.

1 Like

I think this is a #bug-reports:engine-bugs or #bug-reports because it should work… still doesnt for me…

2 Likes

I can confirm this is replicated on a lot of games, especially at one I moderate at, there was no lines at all with kick/ban messages. This is definetly something to take up to bug reports. I can’t report bugs yet though, just hoping someone could.

This was recently changed intentionally to fix an exploit, so is expected behavior.

Any sequence of spaces and newlines is now collapsed into a single space character, and the length of kick messages is limited to 200 characters.

16 Likes

Are there any plans to bring this functionality back?

4 Likes

I had that bug too when I got kicked due to a script error

Its \n not /n. Also I think I THINK its not possible to add newlines in kick message? I dont know thats my theory.

1 Like

I tried the group checking script but I got this
It shows no newlines in this kick message

1 Like

When will the change be reverted?

2 Likes

It is possible and it has been possible for a while, though it appears it was removed recently.

2 Likes

Can you disclose what the exploit was? This seems like a poor change in my opinion.

4 Likes

This really is a terrible change. A lot of developers use new lines to nicely format kick/ban messages. Now, it’s a messy cramped mess.

10 Likes

I could not agree more, if its not added back i may die… I used this feature so often…
2022-07-19T23:00:00Z

3 Likes

By removing newlines and limiting the message size, are you referring to the exploit making the kick frame too long and making the “Leave” button unclickable ?

1 Like

It’s probably pushing the leave button off of the screen, forcing mobile players and users with low resolution to close the game entirely
example of newlines and huge messages pushing the leave button off the screen, this made it completely unclickable on my left monitor which is 1080p but the example image was taken with a higher res monitor

2 Likes

Exactly. I agree with you there.

1 Like

Wouldn’t a character limit solve that though? Instead of removing a helpful formatting feature

1 Like

I mean people can just do loads of \n to create lots of space but surely it can’t be hard to limit the size of the box and not taking away useful things lots of people use

1 Like