Newline Character doesn't work on kick messages

1. What do you want to achieve?
    Newline character to appear on kick message.

2. What is the issue?
    I have used multiple ways to add a new line to my kick message however it doesn’t work at all, I’ve tried using brackets and \n neither of those work nor show up on the kick message, heres my code:

USING BRACKETS:

plr:Kick([[
		You have been found on our ban database!
		[ CONTACT HIGH COMMAND TO APPEAL ]
		[ AUTOMATED BAN ]
		]])

USING \N:

plr:Kick("You have been found on our ban database!\n\n[ CONTACT HIGH COMMAND TO APPEAL ]\n[ AUTOMATED BAN ]")
  1. What solutions have you tried so far?
    I have looked around DevForums for a solution and I haven’t found any, well there are a couple of topics/forums on it however most of them are due to script errors which mine is not.

There are no errors/warnings within the console, the player gets kicked/banned fine however its just that the newline characters don’t work as intended.

12 Likes

type /n instead so “You are kicked /n hehe /n haha”
im pretty sure its /n atleast
nvm its supposed to be \n

1 Like

Yeah it’s supposed to be \n, not sure if this is a bug on ROBLOXs side or on my end.

1 Like

yea, it should work, try to just print it in the console and see what happens otherwise try to put a space or something

serversided kick or local? IF local i may know the issue.

It appears to work when I print it ingame or in studios command bar;

Though when I get kicked it doesn’t work;

It is serversided, not on the client.

it doesnt seem to work in studio let me try to publish.

1 Like

Yeah it doesn’t work on studio nor in-game, atleast for me that is.

1 Like

I think this is a #bug-reports:engine-bugs or #bug-reports because it should work… still doesnt for me…

2 Likes

I can confirm this is replicated on a lot of games, especially at one I moderate at, there was no lines at all with kick/ban messages. This is definetly something to take up to bug reports. I can’t report bugs yet though, just hoping someone could.

This was recently changed intentionally to fix an exploit, so is expected behavior.

Any sequence of spaces and newlines is now collapsed into a single space character, and the length of kick messages is limited to 200 characters.

16 Likes

Are there any plans to bring this functionality back?

4 Likes

I had that bug too when I got kicked due to a script error

Its \n not /n. Also I think I THINK its not possible to add newlines in kick message? I dont know thats my theory.

1 Like

I tried the group checking script but I got this
It shows no newlines in this kick message

1 Like

When will the change be reverted?

2 Likes

It is possible and it has been possible for a while, though it appears it was removed recently.

2 Likes

Can you disclose what the exploit was? This seems like a poor change in my opinion.

4 Likes

This really is a terrible change. A lot of developers use new lines to nicely format kick/ban messages. Now, it’s a messy cramped mess.

10 Likes