Notice: Review of Recent Off-Platform Behavior

One day I woke up and everyone suddenly was talking about NFTs. Can anyone explain to me what are NFTs? How are they harmful, the cons and pros of allowing it or not allowing it?

1 Like

He does this in his personal time as John Shedletsky the person and not John Shedletsky the Roblox employee. If he wants to do it, let him do it. It’s not associated with the situation at hand.

1 Like

Users retain rights to their creations. Assuming he built it himself, he is allowed to use it as an NFT. As long as he doesn’t promote it as a Roblox employee, it’s got nothing to do with what is being discussed here.

3 Likes

I’m going to be real honest here. If roblox skirts or modifies the ToS to allow NFTs, I will cancel premium on the spot. I refuse to support anything and everything to do with NFTs. From their environmental impact to asset theft and everything in between.

5 Likes

Using Roblox’s creation tools to create NFTs is probably not on its own a violation of their terms of use, the issue with what BIG Games did was selling in-game rewards as off-site NFTs, which is very much a violation of their terms of use. To my understanding, content created using Roblox Studio is the IP of its creator; Roblox reserves the right to use it in their advertising or branding, but they do not necessarily claim ownership of all content created in Studio, so technically what Shedletsky did is allowed while what BIG Games did is very much not.

(that said, I do dislike what Shedletsky did and I’m disappointed to see someone who I looked up to as a kid getting into NFTs)

5 Likes

TLDR; NFTs are essentially a reciept you can buy to prove you own a digital image. The concept is neat and all but it wouldn’t be hated if it weren’t for the fact that NFTs are used in scams, money laundering, and take up insane amounts of energy.

Just order a commission, way better for the environment and way more customizable, and WAY more cheaper.

13 Likes

Ah, thanks for clearing up my mind.

1 Like

I didn’t really take in the in game rewards point, so that’s my bad. It does bring up the question of whether or not ROBLOX is taking a stand against NFTs or just enforcing TOS.

2 Likes

They should take the game down. If my game was deleted and I was banned for using a free model of a mermaid that was deemed ‘inappropriate content’ how does breaking the TOS get a ‘review of policy’ for Roblox ?

5 Likes

I was reading the comments and what is NFT?

1 Like
3 Likes

I dont like Crypto 1 bit, glad Roblox is taking action with this

From what I think, you can buy stuff with Ethereum and trade it for stuff, idk if that’s right

1 Like

Once he sees this, he will probably stop doing it. From what I’m guessing Roblox wont ban their first employee or Telamon.

2 Likes

Thank you for addressing this, Roblox.

Really hope that this leads to NFTs being explicitly banned from Roblox, and that people will be punished for making off-site NFT sales linked to in-game Roblox content, as is already implied in the TOS. The vast majority of the community clearly agrees that NFTs have no place here.

29 Likes

Why would Roblox ban/fire him for doing something in his free time? It’s not like he promotes it as nor uses his status as a Roblox employee.

2 Likes

FYI He hasn’t been an employee for about seven years

4 Likes

Why would Roblox not want their groups expanding into other fields? I’m not quite sure I understand Roblox’s motives here.

1 Like

Why would Roblox want to expand into a field full of picrew-generated monkey avatars that no one owns?

6 Likes

Thank you for addressing this, ROBLOX. It’s good to hear that the company is aware of the situation that is surrounding Preston, BIG Games and NFTs.

I’m pretty sure we can all agree that selling NFTs with in-game perks is just wrong (or even selling ROBLOX NFTs to begin with, perhaps? Shedletsky’s situation seems a bit different though). Preston doesn’t seem to care that what he’s done is wrong whatsoever (even more so now after having made 150,000 dollars from it) and that shows us the kind of person he really is.

I used to enjoy playing BIG Paintball (I never played Pet Simulator X though), but after all of this I don’t see myself playing BIG Games’ games ever again or atleast not in the same light. If anything, this situation has made BIG Games’ reputation shatter and I hope they get punished for it as what they did is shameful and a huge slap in the face to many. I hope they learn from this and sincerely apologize.

7 Likes

Welp, it looks like there wont be any NFTs now.

1 Like