Object Insertion Workflow Improvements [Beta #2]

Hey everyone, it’s me again. I know… I know, you are probably tired of seeing my beautiful face, but we just released Beta #2 of our updated flow for inserting objects in Studio. We understand that this flow is critical to how you work, and we appreciate the amazing feedback we received during the first round in December of last year.

Just like last time, I’m still not going to tell you or show you what we changed so we can get your raw response. I encourage all of you to go out there and use this feature, and then respond here so we can collect your feedback. In the announcement post, I will outline exactly everything we have done.

HOW TO ACCESS:

1. Open Roblox Studio (tough, I know)
  2. File Menu > Beta Features > Insert Object Streamlining

Many of you probably already have it enabled, in which case you have the updated version already. Congrats!

As a little teaser, here’s a video that took me hundreds of hours to put together.
I promise that I kept inserting objects instead of duplicating so I could just show off the new flows.

97 Likes

I just couldn’t let nsgriff make an announcement without closing it, of course.

This topic was automatically opened after 11 minutes.

Oh, my… ITS BEAUTIFUL!!!

Some questions I probably should ask first…

• Are there any other UI revamps coming up??
  • Will there be updates on the plugin widget API?
  • Why is this beta. This is so amazing it needs to just forced on everyone for the greater good

The pain staking 30 seconds I’ve spent looking for an item to insert and it for some reason not being there because I tried to insert it into a class type where it may not make sense to insert it there or I just cant find it due to having a very bad ability of finding this probably sums up to over hours of time.
(oh man, where is SurfaceGui again??)

This search feature thing looks amazing! Unfortunate I missed the first beta (Improvements to Object Insertion Workflow [Beta]) and did not to even test the search feature that was implemented there.

Regardless, I’m very ecstatic for this update and I believe everyone else is too!
I love the open design of the object inserting, the headers for class types and text highlighting of reelvant types especially!

Here is an image for you light-themers out there! :sunglasses:

THANK YOU!

14 Likes

I just couldn’t let nsgriff make an announcement without replying to it, of course.

Question: will we get the ability to insert any instance, like an ‘advanced’ mode?

It’s slow and annoying to type out Instance.new(“thing”, game.Selection:Get()[1])

11 Likes

Perhaps I misunderstand your question but there is a large window you can open allowing you to insert every type?

Are you meaning like duplication of several parts? Because there is shortcuts for this. (Ctrl + D)
Or, are you asking for insertion of parts into parts? Just open the insertion menu on the instance you want to insert a child into.

1 Like

The insert window doesn’t show all insertable instances. I was asking if this had changed in the update.

2 Likes

Oh, can you give me an example? I’m not sure of every type that exists but at a quick glance I see everything I would normally insert. I thought you were talking about super classes like “JointInstance” but those are non-insertable according to the wiki.

1 Like

I know what he means, like in some objects such as the StarterCharacterScripts, you’re only allowed to quick insert, 1. LocalScript, 2. Script, 3. ModuleScript, 4. Folder. I tried to quick insert a Value the other day and just went with the command bar.

Does not occur for me. So I assume the issue has been solved!

2 Likes

Nice! Been looking forward to it being “fixed” for a while.

1 Like

This just makes finding certain stuff easier or if you want to insert multiple stuff

1 Like

Yeah, and its amazing! I personally want to optimize my workflow!!

2 Likes

this is epic!!

They keep track of things you frequently use and i like it! Although it seems like they don’t have every instance in the list. Motor6D cough cough haha nevermind they changed the icon so i didnt see it, stupid me

4 Likes

I’m hoping this is an unoptimized beta version, because I shouldn’t be losing 20fps when I open the menu :disappointed:

1 Like

I love the new icons that were added for the HandleAdornment classes and Motor6D.

Can we expect to see more class icons given a face-lift in the future?
Several of them still don’t look very good while using the dark theme.

If there’s any interest, I’ve been using this modified set of class icons for a few years now:

The goal of this icon set is to:

• Significantly reduce white pixels and aliasing.
  • Fix icon alignment errors that were introduced at various points.
  • Improve dated class icons while still retaining their general aesthetic.

If any of you folks on Roblox’s product team are interested in adopting these icons, you can have them for free! I’d just like to see some of these get cleaned up in an official capacity after all these years.

Here are some highlights:

set1set2
set3set4

23 Likes

The new Insert Object Window does not play nice with fps trackers. The tech stack we are using for the window only redraws, on an as needed basis. This means if you open the window and do nothing you could easily see 1 fps. If you grab the scrollbar and start rapidly scrolling up and down that number should rapidly increase.
If you believe this is not the case and you are noticing performance issues please re-comment.

We will, however, be doing some fine tuning of the scrolling behavior before release.

10 Likes

Nono, we are happy to see your face.

Was that video a Roblox logo?

hmmm, i’m not one to judge buttttt…

Pretty epic actually, I have a suggestion. Let’s say Coefficients is trying to insert a meshpart which will be a statue of himself. Could we have the option to right click a meshpart so it shows it’s ID box so we could load it as a statue and not some checkered part? Or even, a more broad suggestion in general… could we edit the properties of a object before it’s inserted?

Apart from that, your face is beautiful and so if this workflow improvement.

can i marry you and coefficients

5 Likes

It’s hard to see in this GIF, but the tween on the button highlight makes it feel less responsive.

Slowed down to see it better.

I would prefer the highlight move immediately. This also goes for the minimized menu.

6 Likes

I am sorry to have to ask but how do you dock the Insert Object window.
Its showing as just an overlay for me.

1 Like