Participate in our first Builder Challenge!

You are correct about everything but most plugins are from the toolbox. and I was in contact with other Developer Forum members earlier who are participating and they also said that we are not allowed to use plugins but you can do what you want if you would like to risk it.

Exactly, they mean it can’t require a plugin to function. For example plugins like that realism one or whatsoever.

I am also a Developer Forum member. In fact, I’m a regular. :slight_smile:

In fact a lot of us here are developer forum members, since it’s the developer forum.
Just because they’re developer forum members doesn’t mean that they are the ones who set up the contest and understand it fully.

Much like how you are replying to the thread even though you aren’t part of the group who made the rules to the contest, them being developer forum members does not mean they are part of that group and thus understand that point on plugins fully either. In fact I was talking to some other developer forum members and they were pretty split on it.

I’m just saying, we should explore all of this text because we shouldn’t restrict ourselves unnecessarily.

Also like I said before, even though plugins are from the toolbox they aren’t necessarily inside our game. Lots of plugins are used to modify the game but are not part of the game as an actual asset since players cannot interact with the plugins we used (since the plugins were downloaded on our side) and most plugins don’t even leave a physical mark behind. I would understand if it were a tree generation plugin since that tree’s technically not yours (same goes for other plugins that generate new stuff), but that would have already been covered by an earlier rule “All assets must be made by the individual or team for this demo”. So putting all these together, I would like to think that they mean that as long as the plugin is not required for actual game functionality, and does not breach the other rules on assets, it should be fine.

And as usual of course we should probably be waiting for the people who made this contest to clarify, if they do.

8 Likes

So wait, are we even allowed to use plugins?

Are plugins restricted completely? I don’t really use plugins to build anything. But when it comes to low-poly builds, they are very useful for some builders.

What exactly is this supposed to mean? My only guess would is to not give the player a goal since this is meant to be a showcase. :thinking:

1 Like

The conversation between @RamuneRain @SharkBoy30HD and @unidentifiedchris pretty much goes over this, though the answer isn’t clear yet, we have to wait for clarification from the ROBLOX team themselves.

2 Likes

It’s very clear I don’t see how it can’t be clear enough it’s straight to the point.

1 Like

The developer forum member shark is talking about is a hire up not a regular. If you wanna use plug-ins and get disqualified be then go ahead and use it. It’s strict like this because it is a challenge to get out of your comfort zone and do something different and creative it isn’t that hard to understand…

No plug-ins means no plug-ins
No gameplay means (No gameplay just a basic showcase of showing off your work in first person)
No assets from the toolbox and plug are even included in the toolbox

2 Likes

I like how its so hard for them to faddum how they’re suppose to work on roblox without the use of meshes, particles, beams, skybox, sounds… Just follow the rules :expressionless:

1 Like

Hi! I was just saying the wording of it was a little strange which is why it is not very easy to understand.
If they wanted to say “no plugins” at all then they would have said it that way (or rather they should have said it that way). It is quite extraneous in wording from the rest of the rules that way you cannot use X and Y.
Also I was not aware that plugins are now part of the toolbox (is this a new update?).

But now that you mention this detail, if you and Shark know this person who is a higher-up and they said that plugins are not allowed, is it possible that you could get them to inform others of the rules?

It is difficult to officially conclude without having HRs or those from the Roblox Team clarifying on this.
Sorry if I’m having trouble understanding, I’m just really picky about wording and feel like it was worded this way for a reason :slight_smile:

Good luck on the challenge nonetheless!

They don’t have to clarify anything if that was the case they would of done it by now.

1 Like

Hmm, guess I’ll build on the safe side for now.
Thanks for the pointers :slight_smile:

It is a little confusing with the plugins but what I am guessing is that you can’t use any plugins because one of the main reasons why Roblox is doing this is to help them with developing the studio itself.

1 Like

Is it possible to facilitate ideas by making a thread dedicated to building on this event? We can run ideas off of each other, or, is this just a private project that shouldn’t be shared?

P.S. To everyone that is questioning the external software thingy, simple answer: Studio, and Studio only.

If you don’t I will steal all of your robux.

Thanks bacon
1 Like

you might be needed to review the trees or something
good luck to you and @TheCarbyneUniverse,
:+1:

-reals

This is a great, but VERY flawed event. Hear me out.

The reason why this is a great event is because of the growth it allows builders and modelers to have within Roblox Studio. Being forced to rely on Roblox Studio alone allows builders to experiment new techniques and methods in advancing their builds without the assistance of other software/developer’s help. This really can show where Roblox Studio shines in usability and also where it is flawed in capability. This allows Roblox to understand and listen to the feedback from builders who rely on it’s services to work and make a finished and good product.

The reason why this event is very flawed is because of the lack of support to the questions in the discussion section. Yes, there is a lot of helpful builders trying to explain rules, but I have seen no support from the event hosters themselves. It leaves a messy, unorganized, and confused participation from majority of the participants of the event. This whole event could have ran a lot more smoothly if judges/hosts decided to help the participants with their many questions instead of letting this event stumble.

Though this event stumbled, it is not a failure. If there is real support to this event rather than just a prompt, it can be revised and revived really easily and quickly. But if they continue to neglect the support to the participants, it’s basically a shot in the dark.

8 Likes

Felt that. This event is an accurate way to show off pure Roblox as a utility and platform; but the lack of discourse and support from the event host has distorted the event. All the prerequisites were arranged sporadically and messily. I think we all deserve some more transparency; especially the participants.

2 Likes

I agree. Though some points are clearer than others, there is definitely some clarification that needs to be done in my honest opinion.
Even a very thorough read over the rules leads to confusion. I’ve gone into the discord and asked around and haven’t gotten any answers (and I’ve asked since the start of this announcement), so I think it’s fair to say that there is definitely confusion that needs to be addressed.

Aaaaand one question, is union to obj convertion(Roblox union to mesh) allowed?
My big guess is probably not allowed since you cant really tell if its made on Roblox Studio if I were to convert it to mesh. Anyways just asking.

Can we all quickly take in consideration the amount of things you can do with the studio software itself? The main point of the event is to prove that you can really do mostly anything with the preset studio. I see many people pointing out flaws and making questions regarding external software for example “How am I supposed to make low-poly without blender?” or “How can I make textures without photoshop?”

These questions can be very easily answered, all it takes is a lot of creativity and imagination. For example MeshParts, which have a tile like texture could be a replacement for some textures, after all it’s a low poly game, and shouldn’t really require a very complex amount of textures. Same goes with particles.

For the case of not using a 3d modeling software to make it low-poly doesn’t make it impossible. Roblox not only has Unions and SpecialMeshes which will make the job x100 times easier, but it provides a creative platform which you, as it’s a challenge, will be challenged to find creative ways to work around it.

The point of the challenge is not to see who builds the best. It’s to see who is the most creative and of course, the best builder with the resources given. But that’s just my opinion.

1 Like