Animated Particles with the Particle Flipbooks Beta

Any updates on when this will be released would be appreciated - my team and I are waiting to use this for fire particles on an upcoming game we are working on.

4 Likes

This needs to be released, almost like 5-6 months and it’s still not out of beta, lots of games are getting delayed because of this.

10 Likes

Hi all!

Sorry for the delays on the release of Flipbooks. We are just about to release the feature and we will send an announcement next week! :partying_face:

I wanted to give you a heads up that if you’ve been testing Flipbooks through Lua scripting, we are changing the FlipbookLayout options naming as part of a set of design improvements to the feature. We recommend a search+replace pass on your scripts. The changes are the following:

• “TwoByTwo” is now “Grid2x2”,
  • “FourByFour” is now “Grid4x4” and
  • “EightByEight” is now “Grid8x8”.

This update will go live by end of this week, a bit ahead of the full release of Flipbooks!

23 Likes

Further to the above message, whilst we prepare the release of Flipbooks from Studio Beta status into Production there may be some stability issues during these updates. If you encounter stability issues of Studio in version #548, disabling the flipbooks beta and relaunching studio may provide a work around in this release version.

8 Likes

And if we could write the number of the grid to our preference?, there are particles that need more frames or that are not completely the same numbers… It would be better if we could write xframes and yframes

1 Like

Reasonable request! At the moment we’ll only release Flipbooks with those 3 options (2x2, 4x4 and 8x8). There are multiple technical reasons for this and we have ideas for implementations that would provide more flexibility for particles animation in general, but there are a number of other important improvements and requests across our rendering engine that we will be focusing on first :smiling_face:.

7 Likes

ETA on custom flipbook proportions my good friend?

you didn’t read their reply right
read again

ParticleEmitters are currently broken in Roblox Studio if you have this beta enabled.
Any updates on what’s going on?

You could add legacy enum names to keep backwards compatibility with the old names.
(If you don’t know what I’m talking about ask @Tiffblocks)

1 Like

We apologize for the inconveniences. These are the instability issues @ProfessorKJM is referring to. A fix is already in and will drop with the next Studio release. Meanwhile, please disable the Flipbooks Beta if you are experiencing issues with Particles. :pray:

6 Likes

Is the flipbook’s now fully released?

1 Like

fix the clipping issue…

1 Like

Fr, the clipping really annoys me sometimes.

Well we can’t do that, because now the beta option’s gone, and now I can’t work! Nice!

Maybe next time, with all due respect, make sure the update actually works before forcing it on everyone.

3 Likes

Has this affected the render distance of particles? I have big smoke pillars in my game which I use for atmosphere, but they seem to fade out now.

Before:
https://i.gyazo.com/e5bdab97a731f8c9dcf479881cf8c374.mp4

After:
https://i.gyazo.com/47a1912ba4f4a88c6ebe8fe800c916de.mp4

it’s an awesome feature, however, i think there should be an option to disable the image fading in/out between frames. the fading ruins animations made of solid images, like so:

feathers

here’s still image to make this issue more clear:

fadingissue

7 Likes

Any news on when this is getting released?

:uhh:

Need more FlipBookLayout grids like 3x3, 5x5 and 6x6

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.