[Play Solo] Being able to pick your rig type

As a dev, I usually work with both R6 and R15.
I really want to test both rigs without having to put a dummy as a StarterCharacter…
…or you know, changing it on the website.
Maybe creating an option to pick one could be useful?
Maybe changing it while we are playing would result in reseting our character?

Here’s a small mock up of the Idea I just did.
As you can see, there’s 3 options.
“Any rig” will just use your default rig on the website.
R6 and R15 are forced.

It would really improve our testing experience and obviously it will be more “portable” than having to use StarterCharacter.

EDIT: Roblox officially made it a thing, but now it got locked once again behind a “publish the place”.

It shouldn’t be locked behind the online options. It makes our work harder.

143 Likes

Support. Every time I want to test a game for R6, from studio, I have to go to the avatar page and change it. Then, when I’m done testing I want to change it back, because R15 looks better on my profile. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

That’s also what exactly I was thinking!

4 Likes

Support

3 Likes

This would be so useful - support!

2 Likes

Putting a model into starter player named “StarterCharacter” already accomplishes this (which you’ve mentioned). I dont see any benefit adding it as a feature.

Because who wants to go through the trouble of pulling that model from Roblox’s directory? Yuck.

14 Likes

Sounds like a simple plugin idea

7 Likes

Support. Probably easy to implement and would be a really useful feature.

3 Likes

Support. This would be a really nice & useful feature to have.

2 Likes

support

3 Likes

Support, I would use this a lot.

2 Likes

This sounds like the best solution imo. I wouldn’t mind an official plugin though.

1 Like

Support

Support

Fully support!

Absolutely support.

It would probably be cleaner to move the option off the website and into the StarterPlayer properties, along with the avatar scaling options (Seriously why are those options even on the website to begin with?). But fully support being able to quickly and easily test between the different rigs in some form or another.

3 Likes

Well, maybe it’s because of user universes.
Player won’t have to edit those manually every time a place gets created.
But yeah, It should be optional to use website.

What if options got remade?

• Use place settings (default option)
  • R6, R15, Both (for universe games)

I’d like to bump this thread with my support as this as being able to run a test server of your place with both R6 and R15 is very important.

I might even add that it would be nice to have a “Both” option for servers with more than 2 players so you could test both R6 and R15 at once. I think it would work fine if it just picked a random type to start with and then alternated so you ended up with roughly even amounts of R6 and R15 but would also ensure that two player test servers were guaranteed to have one of each type.