PSA: Don't Post Asset Sales In Portfolios

The Asset Marketplace subcategory was removed yesterday, and since then, a lot of the threads that would be put in that category are instead being miscategorized under #collaboration:portfolios. Please do not post these threads in other categories–the category was removed with good reason. Miscategorized threads will be flagged and removed.

There’s no official word on whether or not asset sale threads are entirely banned, but until such a statement is made explaining otherwise, it’s best to refrain from making asset sale threads.

23 Likes

It may be a little OT but can you perhaps disclose why it was removed?

There’s no official word, but it’s no secret that the category was full of low-quality threads and arguments about pricing and quality. That’s certainly a big part of the reason.

10 Likes

So i have a question: Where we should post our assets to sell?

The first question to ask is “should I sell this asset?”. A lot of the assets sold on the forum follow into one of the following categories:

• It is very common and can be found for free or easily remade (like a low-poly tree).
  • It had minimal time spent on it (<15 minutes in some cases) and is being sold for cheap.
  • It can’t be easily used in any project (like a complete castle). Contracted work normally has specific specifications that they need to follow, while general models can’t.
  • It is there first project and assume it will automatically make money from it. Your first several projects will probably not be selling or even releasing.

If you have an asset that is one of these, consider not selling it. If it is, you will need to sell it elsewhere and be aware Roblox will not help you if a person doesn’t pay you or claims it as their own.

11 Likes
My misinterpretation of this PSA

Valuable feedback and constructive criticism will no longer be tolerated because we believe that safeguarding users is the best route. Furthermore users are more than capable of having an unbiased opinion on a build regardless of the amount of time invested into it’s completion.

We’re not entirely sure if this change will be permanent because the change was made without taking the communities perspective into consideration therefore there’s a slim possibility it’ll return in the future though realistically it won’t unless enough backlash is received to make us reconsider. While we understand this is an inconvenience for some of you, you should trust our judgement because we know what’s best for you

My opinion regarding this change.

This is in my opinion an example of suppression as we are now silencing those that want an unbiased opinion regarding their present skillsets.

Sometimes as a builder we’ll rely on a strategy or a design concept that doesn’t compliment the build’s architecture in the best way possible. An unbiased opinion from a complete stranger will be more beneficial over asking a neutral for critique or relying on our own judgement as it’ll likely be a conflict of interest. At minimum we should be allowed to request feedback, constructive criticism through DMs via a disclaimer on the thread.

While I understand a large proportion don’t care for feedback or constructive criticism unless it’s in a form of praise this change is negatively impacting the minority of the community that did benefit from feedback. This do it yourself mentality will make the dev forums over a period of time less populated if other categories are somehow impacted in the future as well.

If Roblox values their communities growth than I strongly believe nitpicking and scrapping categories isn’t the best way of solving a problem. What we are doing is slowly yet indefinitely repeating history as we’ve removed sub categories because we felt that it was being abused in the past. Using that logic, any category is put at risk because we’re allowing Roblox to dictate what is and isn’t tolerable.

I cannot stress enough how Roblox isn’t immune to making mistakes. The fact that so many are willingly accepting this change without any opposition infuriates me. One voice isn’t enough to get the message across, it is in fact a complete waste of my valuable time making this complaint if everyone else accepts this change with open arms.

This behavior, mindset is obtained through trial and error which is how it should be. What you’ve listed is the aftermath of allowing progression to take place naturally. What we’re doing now is forcing progression which doesn’t work. It has never worked in the past, it’ll never be any different in the present nor will it ever create a different result for the future.

Nitpicking causes more harm than good to the youth’s future.

Sure there are some users that’ll take it upon themselves to continue their growth whereas the majority will give up. If you make something an inconvenience or more difficult in comparison to how it used to be they’ll become easily discouraged which is forcefully halting their growth.

This change doesn’t impact you nor I because we’ve already experienced the benefits of trial and error. This change instead negatively impacts the future’s youth which should be our priority.

1 Like

Pretty much your entire opinion is based on the idea that providing feedback was an essential part of Asset Marketplace, which is false. The support categories, Cool Creations, and WAYWOC are places to get feedback, and it’s a massive part of the forum. Asset Marketplace’s purpose was purely for the sale of assets, nothing more.

From my perspective, the majority opinion regarding Asset Marketplace’s removal has been “good riddance.” In fact:

You even acknowledge this in your statement. People didn’t accept the change because they’re sheep, they accepted it because it made sense.

3 Likes

Maybe the issue that was causing the low-quality posts should be addressed. It’s WAY to easy to get into the forums as a new-member now a days. Anyone who spends more than 10 days here gets it it seems.

1 Like

Although there is a slight valid reason, its… ridiculous. How will UI designers sell their UI? How will 3D modelers sell their meshes? Its quite a badly thought through removal, because now people who do have talent and creativity are having some of their income cut.

Roblox will need to provide either an alternative, or step up their game to poor quality models, because otherwise, how is a huge part of a community supposed to work now?

5 Likes

Although, i can see the pro for removing asset-market i can also see many users who use forums daily as a platform to sell products and assets to developers who many not have the time to develop these themselves.

As a developer myself asset market was the first place to sell all my assets at a reliable price. Just this year alone i made 50k robux from market place, this by far my great accomplishment i fear this may fall and with the removal of market place there will be a increase in people flocking to job recruitment making it harder for small time developers to get a chance.

Overtime I’ve seen the quality of posts deteriorate which sort of angers me which a select group could ruin it for others but i guess a statement needed to be made. I don’t want to come over as nagging or rude maybe just a insight.

Maybe also a suggestion but 2 levels for marketplace similar to dev forums new members, and member roles

4 Likes

The asset marketplace here on the forum was causing more harm than good. Lots of people were selling assets that took <15 minutes to make for an extremely cheap price. These sorts of assets can easily be remade yourself or found in the toolbox. The average person using it was most likely spending more money on electricity and internet than what they earned from selling assets.

In a different thread buildthomas brought up a good reason for why selling low quality assets is a negative thing for the forum:

As an alternative to using the marketplace you could look into doing contracted work for people. In an asset marketplace people are less likely to buy a complete build for 20K+ because it doesn’t fit into their games build style. However if you make a build tailored to their game and to what the customer wants they are more likely to spend that 20-30K+ on that complete build. You may end up earning more from doing contracted work that just selling assets.

1 Like

What if you just had a few hours to spare and wanted to build a common build style but with your touch?

Also, most of the crap builds I saw always received very little attention. If they did, it was around 3 builders giving advice so I don’t see what was so bad about that.

1 Like

Creating UI and models for the marketplace has a risk where you have to guess what people want and make it without actually knowing if anyone wants. For UI specifically, there is a good chance the developer will need to change most of it to fit their game. What you and others should do is use the #collaboration category to find contracted work that will have a guaranteed assignment and pay with a project manager rather than guess what assets and styles people will want.

There is also the difficult aspect of trying to combine pre-made assets in a game since they could have styles that aren’t close enough to where they don’t mix, making the game seem incoherent and a waste of money for the developer. This is why there is a lot of contracted work for complete maps with coherent styles rather than models for a map.

5 Likes

I simply cannot see a GOOD reason for this, it’s just a bad idea that needs to be undone

2 Likes

First, you never answered his question. WHERE can we go to sell our assets? I know my assets are not low quality and easily made, so how else can I make money besides commissions?

Sorry, it wasn’t supposed to be a reply to Conejin_Alt.

1 Like

He answered the question, but not completed:

If you have an asset that is one of these, consider not selling it. If it is, you will need to sell it elsewhere and be aware Roblox will not help you if a person doesn’t pay you or claims it as their own.

Well, if i remember, maybe this was a dream but @grilme99 was doing a website to sell Roblox Assets if i remember.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m working on Devable. You can check it out here!

2 Likes