RDC24: What We Announced

For custom matchmaking, will this just be an option to put players in a server when they join, or is a use case of this feature like Tower Defense Simulator, where you join a lobby, click the “Play Survival” button on the bottom, and it puts you in a game?

Games like Tower Defense Simulator need some sort of lobby because the users in that game first need to choose what towers they want to play with first.

2 Likes

I agree with you. In my opinion, Roblox is becoming more and more unlike itself, it feels like the platform will soon turn into a mix of Facebook and Snapchat and the engine will turn into Unreal Engine 2.

8 Likes

To be fair, I’ve been saying for years that Roblox is a baby Unreal Engine.

6 Likes

I saw the new Studio UI yesterday! On Fri 6 September 2024. I like the rounded corners

3 Likes

TTS? I really wanted this for a long time in Roblox. this will absolutely change Roblox.

3 Likes

Seriously amazing features, THANK YOU ROBLOX. But roblox shorts, what?

3 Likes

I love the party thing that reminds me to play on 2014

6 Likes

Still no Linux or Steam Deck support… sigh…

7 Likes

Awesome to hear that occlusion culling is being worked on :smiley:

5 Likes

It seems like it will never happen sadly.

Even though they said it was temporary to filter out any false crashes from the new semi-functional anti-cheat.
Really really ruins my day to this day. Stuck on Windows with no way out :sob:

3 Likes

Hi

Thanks for the transparency. Is this documented somewhere other than this post?

2 Likes

Still just a mention and will probably take at least a few years to get released, but there’s a bit of hope.

When :StepPhysics() was announced a few months ago, I was so excited until I realized it was going to be Studio only. If they release it for live servers, that’d be the world for server authority.

9 Likes

All this stuff is really cool! I just don’t really like the section Scaling Creation, because I generally do not like AI, and at this rate, people won’t need scripters OR modelers. Just don’t take the AI stuff too far, please.

I also understand Roblox realeasing new ways for newer developers to get started on Roblox (eg. templates and ai), but to the developers who spent years learning, it just feels kind of unfair…

3 Likes

Roblox did say they were looking into native server-authoritative games in the opening keynotes!

3 Likes

I’d like to see Roblox’s lighting engine get an update, but this is incredible! keep at it Roblox.

2 Likes

Love all the updates! All there is too it!

3 Likes

i’m excited for all of these…

except for the ai. seriously, exactly WHY do we need to have “super accurate ai that can put all builders out of a job!!111!”

anyways, that aside, a lot of these features seem like they’d be really nice, occlusion culling would likely bring a huge improvement in fps to a lot of games. having the group functionality being expanded it also quite nice, and it’s nice to see that we can now get rid of those stupid “bIgGeSt BoX bEcAuSe fUnNy” accessories.
both text to speech and speech to text are quite nice, speech to text being nice just as… well, more immersive gameplay i guess. text to speech is nice for those who don’t have the ability to have voice actors (for whatever reason), although i hope it doesn’t end up sounding like the average tiktok video.
custom matchmaking is also super nice, now people don’t have to add things like “low tier servers” so that people don’t get destroyed and say “this game sucks!!!”

12 Likes

Could we have that on our Toolbox as well. It would be nice if we could manage the toolbox with folders and be able to place objects from my other games

11 Likes

occulusion culling…
enabled in which experiences? I’ll test it on a low end devices and see 10 ms cpu with 100+ instances if it’s good enough

enable on doors and pressure

5 Likes

Are there any plans on adding local pricing?
Also is an open beta or a closed beta which we can apply for occlusion culling planned?

3 Likes