Regularly when teleporting, players are told the place is "restricted" when it is not

Over the past few months, in Zombie Strike we have regularly received reports of players teleporting to see that the place is restricted, when it is not.

There are other posts on the forum with this same error, such as Teleport service teleporting second player, double teleports and says restricted place, but this bug has been shown to happen to players who teleport solo.

We haven’t touched any of these places, and it happens infrequently enough to where it is impossible to create a reproduction case.

We are using ReserveServer followed by TeleportToPrivateServer, and listing the table of players who are going to that server.

28 Likes

I’ve also been experiencing this a lot more frequently over the last few days than I have in the past.

Today especially, it occurred about 30% of the time for me in games that utilize TeleportService frequently (OP’s Zombie Strike, Dungeon Quest, Tower Defence Simulator, etc). This is compared to maybe a few times per year in the past.

I don’t believe it’s tied to a specific platform either, I’ve noticed it occurring on all of them (based on some other sources).

3 Likes

I have also heard reports of this happening on all platforms.

1 Like

This was happening to me when I set up a new soft-shutdown system a few days ago. It’s no longer happening, and none of that code changed. I was using the plain Teleport method as well.

Now that you mention it, I’ve realized that I completely forgot about the issue, which explains why I had a funny feeling of surprise when I tested it yesterday and it worked…

3 Likes

I would like to add my game to the list of affected places. Starscape has always had issues with TeleportService since it relies so heavily upon it, but user reports have skyrocketed over the past few days with the 773: Restricted error. I use ReserveServer and TeleportToPrivateServer, and once it begins happening for a specific reserveServerId it seems to continue happening for quite a long time (up to fifteen minutes perhaps?) before the issue resolves itself.

Link to my affected game. The star systems are all individual servers, so a single server going out in this way blocks anyone in that system from joining the game and prevents other players from travelling through that system until the issue resolves itself.

3 Likes

World // Zero is also heavily impacted by TeleportService failures.

ReserveServer sometimes takes more than 20 seconds to load, and other times players are told the place is randomly restricted. This impacts our ability to grow as users get frustrated with our game over an issue we cannot resolve, and it kicks them rather than sending them back to the start place.

5 Likes

Our team is currently investigating this issue.

10 Likes

Happening to me too, but it happened mostly 100% of the time if the server already existed, which made the game unplayable, also HttpService startet to fail today by saying I used up the quota even though I barely used any, it says I have 500 per minute on the wiki, it barely hitted 60 before it crashed, had to close down the game because the game heavly relies on TeleportService and HttpService and everyone blames me for those errors.

We track data on this for our game Adventure Up! and TeleportService definitely fails more than we would like it to. These are all the errors from the last 24 hours, during that time we’ve had a total of about 80k individual users:

Teleporting | Teleport failed init: is the TeleportInitFailed event.
Teleporting | Teleport failed: is an error from a pcalled Teleport method.

This is a total of 739 teleport errors from seemingly random things. A total (and consistent every day!) error rate of about 0.92% might not seem like much, but it is very high compared to any other service Roblox provides.

5 Likes

Been encountering this issue today. We have a system where a host creates a server and others can join.

A Singaporean host created the reserved server, and anyone who was not in the Asia Pacific timezone (around UTC+8) could not join and received this error. Those in the same timezone joined with ease.

Not sure if it’s necessarily the same issue but it was using reserved servers and produced the same error message.

11 Likes

Any news on this? I would really not like to open the place I have that relies on this if it just breaks after few minutes.

I have been experiencing this quite a bit as well. It seems to happen every week or so where teleporting service just will show the errors in above posts. My game HEAVILY relys on teleporting server to teleport them from the lobby to the battle place.

Teleport service needs to be more reliable.

Game: Blox Royale - Roblox

1 Like

My player base has been experiencing this more and more over the past few days. Not to sound rude, but why is this not fixed?

This really impacts my game and turns people off because teleportservice sometimes won’t teleport. (Due to the errors above.)

This also impacts hundreds of other games (Heres a few: Zombie Strike, Tower Defence Simulator, Tower Battles and Tower Heroes), why has this been going on for so long (a month or longer) without a fix?

2 Likes

Apologies for the delayed response. We’re aware of the issue and we’re working on a fix…Unfortunately I don’t have an exact timeline for you all but we are treating this issue with the highest priority.

14 Likes

Thank you so much, hopefully this can get fixed soon! One other error I dont think was reported is “Teleport Failed” no reason behind it just that.

We shipped a few fixes last night that should address this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Let me know if these issues are still continuing.

32 Likes

This is still happening today (May 30th) so I dont think its fixed. Same errors as before.

I have a hunch that this is related to the recent patch: I just recently discovered that the documented return values for GetPlayerPlaceInstanceAsync() are incorrect. It specifies that the return format should be:

1. Boolean (if player is in the current server)
  2. Integer (place ID)
  3. String (server job ID)

But the return format that actually is returned is:

1. Boolean (correct value for if the player is in the current server)
  2. Empty string
  3. Integer (correct place ID)
  4. String (correct server job ID)

EDIT: Here is a screenshot showing a live example of the above:

4 Likes
4 Likes

It seems this is still not fixed as I am getting errors from 1 hour ago. However it seems to be much less frequent. It still happens though.

2 Likes