Release Notes for 637

Is that why this was happening??!

The word “migration” makes me feel like they want to completely remove it not just deprecate it. They have used the word “migration” when describing the release of “shorelines” and “old water deprecation”, which is actually going to be completely removed not just kept like the Legacy chat system or JointsService. It would be better if they use the word “deprecation” for features that are going to stay but would be no longer in development and wouldn’t get updates and use the word “removal” when they’re actually going to remove something. I don’t get why do they use the same word for different meanings or context.

3 Likes

So, does this mean that we can continue to NOT use Shorelines, even after it’s forced release?

They’re likely going to replace the compatibility lighting with a preset within the newer lighting engine that replicates the visuals of compatibility. Doing this would allow Roblox to completely drop support, which is fundamentally inferior to both the voxel and future lighting engines.

Mostly: You can’t use the exact old codepath but even if you don’t update your place it should continue to work the same for gameplay purposes and only have minor visual artifacts.

If you mean the visual look, it is possible to replicate something quite close to the old visual look in new content if you really want that (though the new look is pretty much strictly better).

1 Like

Finally, now I can copy and paste without it being locked!

1 Like

If OverlapParams get Tolerance I hope Shapecasts get Tolerance too :grimacing:

9 Likes

Test it out

The .tga upload issue from Update 631 is still causing problems. I’ve tried both web and Asset Manager. Getting errors about invalid images or wrong formats. This should’ve been fixed by now. What’s the holdup? Really need this sorted out quickly. Thanks in advance for looking into it.

3 Likes

I’m finding it difficult to understand why a tolerance would be that useful for region queries (I assume by “region queries” you’re referring to GetPartsInPart and the other spatial queries). If you want to include parts in your region that are not quite inside it but are close enough, you can simply expand your region/part. This requires minimal effort.

Shapecasts are what really need a tolerance/margin feature, and it seems they’re not getting that, considering they don’t use OverlapParams. The lack thereof makes them flawed, as you acknowledged over a year ago:

This flaw makes Shapecasts effectively useless for many use cases, like custom kinematic character controllers, for example, because you won’t be able to detect a wall if your shape/collider is hugging it, and you’ll just walk straight through.

Can we have any hope of seeing a margin/tolerance added to Shapecasts anytime soon? Possibly without having to wait another entire year?

4 Likes

Hi! After old water is sunset, all places will be using the Shorelines technology. So it will not be possible to continue using the old water tech. Places that have not migrated will continue working, but could see visual artefacts, so we recommend migrating before the official sunset of old water. More details on what happens for places that will not have upgraded before the sunset here.

i’m not too familiar with terrain so i’m just wondering do shorelines affect physics at all? specifically do they change the geometry of terrain and affect collision like the move from old voxel terrain to smooth terrain

It still breaks for me sometimes when I paste images/screenshots from roblox it appears blank in external apps

AMAZING!!!

AMAZING!!!

I’m guessing that this is for queries that use the part’s actual geometry instead of a specified Vector3 as the size of the query, such as WorldRoot:GetPartsInPart.

You could still just expand your part being used, or just use an expanded clone if you needed the original part to remain unaltered, for whatever reason. It really wouldn’t take a lot of effort to do. I understand that it can still be a handy feature to have, but Shapecasts are what really need a tolerance feature, not OverlapParams to be used in spatial queries.

That is, I want to ask, can you update Roblox’s audit or change the labor force, because he is too bad, and now many people can speak Chinese, which leads to the account being blocked. They didn’t open technology or curse. Please help us. Please. Thank you.

There will be a documentation update, but nothing aside from these release notes.

They are added for convenience so that developers don’t have to create their own mapping tables or use workarounds like passing values through instance properties Enum native iterator - #8 by shadowflame63
Custom mapping tables are still the fastest way, but it’s faster than going through properties.

Array lookup for numbers, hash map lookup for names.

4 Likes

out of curiosity will these functions throw errors on a missing enum or will it return nil? i’m wondering since i’ve been thinking of implementing it as part of a buffer serialisation thing

These functions will return nil is a matching enumeration is not found.

1 Like