Remove 60 FPS Cap

I believe this issue to be one that’s grown since 2016 and will continue to grow as time goes on. Thus, I’m bumping this feature request in the hopes that an updated response could be given. Although this issue doesn’t currently impact me, it seems to impact many in the Roblox community. (83,000+ views on this feature request alone.)

I’d first like to point people’s attention to the official response that we do have:

For connection purposes, I’d like to point to the other feature requests regarding the fps cap:

Additionally, this is a discussion regarding the fps cap:

I made a response to the discussion to ask how might this feature be implemented:

(I feel the default should be as it is now so that older games are not broken. And, that there be options like 30fps, 60fps, 120fps, etc.)

With Roblox’s market growing more of an adult audience, and wanting to, the percentage of high-end devices should be expected to grow. With that, I hope this topic can see an update from someone at Roblox and I thank you for reading.

10 Likes

Everyday for the past 5 years I login to studio and have to run an external program to uncap my FPS that breaks randomly with updates

oh my god can this just be supported? Is there any legitimate reason this isn’t at least baked into Studio? like seriously?

19 Likes

I understand that you may think this is a good idea, but I found that in certain versions of Windows, games will be extremely laggy without an FPS cap, however, it would be nice if you could change the FPS cap in the settings menu (escape menu)

4 Likes

You can unlock your FPS through Roblox file configuration and the game still runs the same. I have no idea why can’t they just add an FPS limit setting, like overall there should be a whole page dedicated for graphics settings.

1 Like

This would probably be a better idea - having the ability to set your own FPS cap as opposed to it just trying to run as high as it possibly can.

1 Like

I believe it should be optional for the game, if it was 120fps for every game forced then some games that use task.wait() (1/60) instead of RunService to calculate per frame will break.

Thats not really an issue. RenderStepped, task.wait() and others will run slower if your FPS is below 60. Just write good code lol

I completely agree with this. It’s very annoying and a hastle to use an FPS Unlocker just for it to have errors, break when roblox releases an update.

1 Like

Coming back to this thread.
Roblox at 165 hertz is indeed wonderful.

Though, I did notice you actually don’t necessarily need an FPS unlocker for it.

I figured out there’s apparently a settings file somewhere where Roblox installs on your computer where you can sorta uncap the FPS, it’s weird.

Everything definitely looks a whole lot smoother tho.
Haven’t noticed any issues with scripts either, everything runs fine.

task.wait()doesn’t seem to be showing any issues either.
Not sure if the whole “1/60th of a second” thing is true because it seems like task.wait() is capable of waiting times that are WAYYYYYY shorter than that, shorter than any of RunService’s step signals.

This is the setting in question

And it lies in here
(be careful to get the right version, usually it’s the most recent one)

My fps unlocker now uses this method to unlock the fps (since hypernion), it doesn’t mess with roblox in anyway other than making this file

task.wait(), RunService.Heartbeat() and RunService.RenderStepped() are all tied to the framerate. A higher framerate will lead to smaller wait times. I am not sure about the old wait() though
The issue is mainly with games that don’t work with an unlocked fps

Here is a reply on a similar topic from bitdancer, https://devforum.roblox.com/t/do-fps-unlockers-work-to-this-day/2628490/13

3 Likes

Same with Botw. If you change it to 60FPS using mods on Cemu, it makes the game tick move 2x faster, and messes with Timed side-quests.

I might be wrong on this but I think roblox’s physics work slightly differently on higher frame rates. I’ve seen people use this to their advantage in obby or parkour games, although it’s like very slightly different and almost the same thing

That doesn’t mean it can’t be fixed though

The Roblox physics engine runs at 240Hz, so it isn’t directly tied to the framerate, and I’m pretty sure it adjusts itself if the framterate. However, I don’t know if it rounds to like running 4, 3 or 2 times every frame (if you have like 60fps, 90fps or 120 fps) or if it’s made to always run 240 times per second (running 3 times one frame, 4 times the other, if you have like 75fps)
To verify this, I would have to search up on the devforum. I might have seen this in some post about giving developers access to the physics loop (I tried to find it, I couldn’t)

The physics is still somewhat tied to the framerate since the physics steps happen in between Runservice.Stepped and Runservice.Heartbeat

A-Chassis, a vehicle chassis run on MANY games has the vehicle performance dependant on framerate, with fpsunlocker the cars are much faster usually, i’m unsure if i’d like a racing game to be fps dependant. not that i’d expect to lose much cause if most users get barely above 70 fps and i’d be getting 165fps i’d have an 2.35 times gap since the horsepower in a-chassis is client based and runs on fps times

Sounds like A-Chassis should patch their car system then

5 Likes

such a difference is highly noticeable. 60hz vs 75hz is barely anything but anything past 90hz is much more noticeable, after a bit of time one can easily tell between 60, 75, 90, 120, 144, and 165 hz/fps.

i can tell you it doesn’t seem like it at first, but going from 144hz down to even 90 when I’m playing games is a massive downgrade now to me.

doesn’t roblox studio have this option already but yeah it would be great if they had it for games they could make it so you can set a custom frame rate like in other games or v-sync

they wont update it after 6-C. which still experiences this issue bear in mind

no, physics are not tied to the framerate

2 Likes