Retaining High Fidelity Images

LESS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we have beenn waiting for this for so long

1 Like

Great update. Though I hope that texture quality slider will be added to the settings menu.

1 Like

you know what this means? man face 8K. :cold_face:

This is going to be super useful for PRB textures! since we can’t tile any of the maps (roughtness, metallic, normal…) we can now tile the image ourselves and upload it without losing quality, it would be nice that tiling those maps was added, but with this im more than happy!

with 8k textures people might make games more realistic than real life

Are there any plans on improving or giving us more control over texture compression? This issue has been present for a year now and has still not been resolved.

This is a 1024x1024 texture:

I understand this was done for both memory and performance reasons, but we as developers should have the ability to choose if we want textures to be compressed, even if it comes with a cost. Surface Appearance should have RenderFidelity (Automatic, Performance, Precise) similar to Meshes, where performance would be compressed and Precise is uncompressed. I don’t see the advantages of high-resolution images if they’re still compressed.

8 Likes

This is something I’d love to know about as well! Even if it is raised to just 2K, there’s so much more you can do with that resolution compared to 1K

1 Like

That is amazing!!! I’m so excited!!! :awesomesauce:

I wonder how the scaling down will work for allowing players with less performant devices.

I don’t think mobile should be hard capped to a resolution, but I could see why that might be a direction to go in. I don’t know much of the technical side on this specific topic, but I assume the system would check to see if the player is lagging (and if that due to wifi or maybe a specific aspect of a game).

so Roblox is increasing texture size resolution, but not letting us choose to do pixel art textures on mesh and decals ?

• Is there any plan on releasing Nearest Neighbor?

26 Likes

With the addition of higher resolution images, does that mean we can expect to see higher image size increases too? Right now I’m pretty sure the max image upload size is 20 MB. I have had PBR textures that are only 1k in resolution have components that are over 20 MB, so seeing a size increase with the resolution increase would be an amazing addition.

1 Like

This has literally made my day!

1 Like

At last, we shall finally see partial justice for @Anaminus’s shack.png, which was a real 16k decal uploaded to Roblox back in 2014.

39 Likes

I’m going to guess probably not. Videos are significantly more expensive to hold as their storage size far exceeds those of images. But maybe keep your eyes out for video relating news, seems like in the past year Roblox has been trying a bunch of new stuff with images and video.

1 Like

I love the knowledge that you hold on Roblox’s history.

4 Likes

We can only dream. :pensive:

Though I subscribe to the belief that the more PBR functionality added to Roblox, the more freedom for expression the developer holds. However, I’m pretty sure height maps in particular are one of the more resource heavy aspects of a PBR texture, so theres a pretty solid argument why they would not be added to Roblox; an engine that doesn’t even let it’s self use that much GPU power.

2 Likes

WWWWWWWW
I really needed a higher image resolution cap for my world maps. This will benefit me greatly. No more do I have to split the map into 900 billion pieces.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, this is a really good step, however I really hope it doesn’t take too long for these higher quality images to be made usable in game where it would have the biggest impact.

1 Like

after this change, will we see a future update to an increase to the amount of tris a UGC can have?

Look into Local File Importer, it lets you upload test decals and sounds. Really helped me to get my train liveries right.

1 Like