Roblox client unexpectedly crashes without error message

Im on the same page. Let’s just hope roblox actually does something to fix it.

2 Likes

Hello all, I’m sorry that you’re experiencing issues with Roblox crashing on startup. To help us debug this issue, could you please follow the instructions here to retrieve your Roblox Client’s file, and then post them here?

This will hopefully give us a few clues as to what’s going on.

Thank you,

-ScipioAfrikanos

4 Likes

11/27/2023 @ 8:39 PM

I will backup my files and attempt to reinstall Windows in an attempt to fix the issue. After I finish the reinstall, I will reply to this message with information regarding my success.

8:53 PM

I originally installed Windows 7 on my laptop on 2/7/2023 @ 7:47:32 PM (CST), and it has been roughly nine months, twenty days, one hour, and five minutes since then.

11/28/2023 @ 7:18 PM

I have finished the reinstall and installed most Windows updates. Now Roblox will sit at a black screen for a few moments, then crash.

8:53 PM what a coincidence

I have given up on trying to make Roblox work on my main operating system. I have installed Windows 10 1909 on an external hard disk and will use that to play Roblox for the time being. Quite strange considering it works perfectly on my other machine running Windows 7.

later but I can’t remember exactly when

I have posted an update later in this thread.

1 Like

Multiple people here have posted that they aren’t using an AMD CPU/GPU, I am not using an AMD CPU nor GPU, the crash has nothing to do with architecture type.

Also for the staff that replied, the crash is a hard crash so no crash DMP is created since there is no error message and the crash handler is never called. Also the crash isn’t on “start up” it happens randomly, anywhere from start up to 30 minutes to hours in a game.

5 Likes

There is an official post explaining how you can manually get crash dumps to generate even if the crash handler itself is never called:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/hyperion-related-solutions/2322367

1 Like

Hey, you might be looking for Roblox games load for about 3 seconds then instantly crash

Try these:

2 Likes

Vulkan’s implementation is currently broken and causes Hyperion to falsely trigger

Previously stated by Bitdancer:

1 Like

Thanks, although it doesn’t seem to exhibit this behavior as the time to crash/vanish is anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. (even with the force vunkan set)

2 Likes

This issue has existed for me for a few months now, sometimes it doesn’t happen at all, but if I join any game and don’t have the tab opened, it just kicks me out after like 3 to 5 seconds.

4 Likes

I may be able to provide a client log but I don’t expect anything of value will be there. I have been comparing the ‘crash’ client log to a normal exit and an alt-f4 exit and it seems that with the crash, there is nothing logged, at all. The log file just stops with only normal log activity up until the time when the client just vanishes the log file just ends with the last good log entry.

2 Likes

I downloaded and used ProcDump to catch and dump the crash. Attached .log, .dmp and some more information privately here: PM Link

Thanks for looking into this.

2 Likes

Hello Crab_Wrangler,

As mentioned in my DM, the issue is a bug that seems to affect a (relatively) small number of users. A fix for it will be included in the upcoming client release (version 605). Please let us know after the release if the issue is solved.

10 Likes

Now that version 605 is out, I have played and it still crashes after a while. (Like around 10-15 mins)

2 Likes

Hello starlordjustin,

My response was mostly meant for Crab_Wrangler, as we analyzed only his crash dump. There was a chance that other folks also run into the same issue, but it could also be a different one; we have no way of knowing until we get our hands on a crash dump that was generated on your machine.

2 Likes

I am having this issue as well here are dumps from multiple people on the team.

0.605.1.6050656_20231208T001401Z_Player_40f09_last.log (64.7 KB)

0.605.1.6050656_20231208T002152Z_Player_FA1C5_last.log (149.6 KB)

Hello CodeAnomaly,

Unfortunately, these are log files. Crash dumps have the extension .dmp . If you would like to forward a crash dump, please do it in a DM as the crash dump might contain some sensitive information.

1 Like

What are the steps to capture a client dump if the client is just disappearing(after 15 min or so) with no error or crash dump. The client will vanish as if you pressed Alt -F4, even though you didn’t, but with Alt F4 you can see in the logs where it is shutting down.

When the client disappears, the logs just end with no error and no clues.

This makes long games where progress is lost (like Outlaster) very frustrating.

1 Like

Hello Sir_Highness,

This is a tough one. If the process really crashes (as opposed to terminate or being terminated) and there is some kind of bug in the crash dumper, then your best bet is setting up ProcDump as described in Strategy Four here and hope ProcDump does its job.

If it was Hyperion that is closing the client, would that appear in the logs similar to an Alt-F4 shutdown? Or is this some other sort of anomaly?

behavior recap:
Client vanishes without a crash dump and with client logs just ending.

I’m confused as to how Strategy Four will catch and create a dump when it seems as though no crash is being detected(based on the lack of dump file or popup error message). I can set Strategy Four up on the affected pc and see if it writes anything in the dump folder but I suspect it will not detect a crash or write a dump.

Hyperion never closes the client. If Hyperion detects an anomaly, it will always crash the client. There is no scenario in which Hyperion would gracefully close the client.

The client uses its own crash dump handler. If there is some sort of bug, a crash dump wouldn’t be written. ProcDump, among other things, is designed to catch any form of crash.

2 Likes