Roblox games load for about 3 seconds then instantly crash

0.581 has triggered this issue again for me.

2 Likes

No I’m talking about my Windows 10 laptop.

The newest windows update makes the machine almost unusable, and makes Roblox completely unusable.
I have to uninstall the windows update, but Roblox won’t open when I do that. It keeps telling me my system is too outdated.
Is there a way to bypass that?

I accidentally left Roblox open and now after ages I get this popup, which is QUITE the concerning popup to get because it’s error 403 saying I’m forbidden. That doesn’t explain it dragging my CPU in the background before it popped up.

EDIT: When this popup appeared I actually got somewhat of a log which I read through and I think it just failed to login because my auth ticket expired from Roblox taking literally 16 minutes to start.

5 Likes

It’s been two weeks (two updates) and it still isn’t fixed… any updates?

2 Likes

I am seeing tons of people having this issue (not me, but I have been having the same issue for the past almost two months). I’m linking your post so they know they aren’t the only ones.

1 Like

Glad we could be of help. I’d like to point out that when I mentioned the name of the DLL causing the issue, I meant you should uninstall the product that installed it instead of deleting the DLL itself. After our investigation, we found that the DLL belongs to this product. I’m surprised, but also glad that deleting it didn’t cause any other issues.

2 Likes

Hello again,

The product you mentioned was not installed on my PC - i haven’t found it anywhere, but I was stopped from deleting the aforementioned DLL file because it was being used in another program - I couldn’t find it anywhere; so I just deleted that in my sys32 folder. Thanks, Bitdancer!

6 Likes

I think I sent you a PM on June 14th with some dumpfiles, first time using the forum so not sure if that was the proper communication channel to get my issue across. Would appreciate any help there.

@subto_deraxileonyt
Your directory state seems to differ a bit from what’s described in Strategy Three, namely the json file name (ClientSettings.json vs ClientAppSettings.json) and how many files should be created. I have no idea if that would affect anything, just pointing it out.

Strategy Three only has you create a single ClientAppSettings.json under a ClientSettings directory, whereas you have your json file under that directory and another one at the same level as the directory. I did not have any such ClientSettings.json files, and originally followed the troubleshooting instructions to create ClientSettings\ClientAppSettings.json .

However, just now I replicated what you have, and regardless of which set of instructions I followed, I did not find any logs under %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Roblox\logs or %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Roblox\logs\crashes . Instead, each time I found the dumpfiles under C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\CrashDumps .

For your step 5, “Manually search for processes that tamper with RobloxPlayerBeta.exe,” how did you identify the processes? I took a look at the dumpfiles in WinDbg and wasn’t able to figure out much from it.

Anything happening to solve this? Roblox takes ages to open since the release of 0.581 and when it does the authentication ticket has expired either way so it doesn’t even get in-game and nothing happens in the logs while it’s running in the background.
Do I need to factory reset my PC?

Hey Pinbat,

As far as I know, ClientAppSettings and ClientSettings don’t really differ from eachother - although both files worked for me.
I’ve made 2 files just to ensure that the crash dump files get generated - the file in ./ClientSettings/ folder is the same(as mentioned before), was done solely out of clarification; I was searching for an FPS unlocker for the Roblox client and I saw that you have to create a folder in order to FPS unlocker to work. The directory doesn’t matter - I did it only for functionality

About the directory of crash dumps, it really is sort of random. I copied the directory from Bitdancer’s thread - I found my files there.

Regarding the 5th step, to identify the process you should first check:

1. If you ran WinDbg with admin rights - gives you more control over the dump file
  1. Second, as soon as you opened the .dmp file - you should see this:

2. Pay attention to the arrow - you should type in lm inside the textbox, and wait for WinDbg to list all loaded modules (inside RobloxPlayerBeta)

3. You should see this:

Typically, the process responsible for tampering with Roblox can be found towards the end of the crash dump file; you must search for the process name in a browser and see if its a vital Windows process(that shouldn’t be messed around with) - when you’ve searched for the .dll file, you would have to check if the process was called by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM or these 2:
image - you have to check them twice(before doing anything with it), as they may be called upon booting the PC up, either by a windows subprocess. Examples: svchost.exe (should not be tampered with; crucial process that hosts various services), dwm.exe (shouldn’t be tampered with - dwm.exe is a crucial process that is responsible for UI elements on your screen; if suspended/terminated, expect bad stuff(sadly, tested on myself)), MsMpEng.exe (shouldn’t be tampered with - resets your antivirus), and such. To identify if the process was called upon boot, search it up - doesn’t hurt to try! Otherwise, if the process is not ran upon PC boot, you can safely delete it, either the delete the program that is using the .dll file.

For example; You have a process called IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe. But oh well, it has been called by the system - you have to search it up whether its crucial; after finding out that it is not crucial - suspend the process:

Open task manager(ctrl + shift + esc) → find process name → Win + R → cmd → tasklist | findstr "process name here" → should give you the process id, memorize it; → (should be a new line after executing the previous command) taskkill /f /t /pid <PID>.

After that, if Windows doesn’t crash - locate the .dll file’s path and proceed to step 6 in here

Hope it helps!

4 Likes

Thanks for the detailed write-up and pictures. Unfortunately, nothing stood out unlike in your case with Itcspea.dll. Everything was some sort of Windows service, and while some might not have been absolutely critical, I think I’ll wait for a staff reply first instead of going through and disabling.

1 Like

Sad to see that it didn’t work for you, but just to be sure:

1. When you executed the lm command in WinDbg, it should have displayed a list of loaded modules. Have you checked the top results? Look for any modules that are related to Roblox or any third-party software that could potentially be causing conflicts. If possible, try the following:
  • If possible, PM me the .dmp file - I’ll try to look into it myself. I don’t promise you anything - I may or may not find the root of the cause.

• Create a new crash dump, join this blank experience so that no other stuff gets in the way, and wait for roblox to crash. After the roblox crashed, open the newly created crash dump file inside WinDbg, and try the following steps:

1. If you didn’t find any “failure”-d modules, you can try some additional steps:
  • Execute the !analyze -v command to see if there are any other relevant details or error messages that might have been missed initially.

• Execute the !exploitable command - see if it gives you anything, just a simple recheck.

• Caution! The following command reveals sensitive information about your computer. Avoid executing it while screen sharing.

• Execute the !peb command: It will displays information from the Process Environment Block (PEB), including the command line, environment variables, and loaded modules. Beneath the line that says Ldr.InMemoryOrderModuleList: 0000025d8b606330 . 0000025d8b5a66e0, you should see all loaded modules - I found my “failure” module there, maybe you have it listed there. Just, be advised that the list may be really long; although, if i were you, I’d spend the time to fix the issue lol

• Execute the !threads command: it should list all threads in the crash dump, displaying their IDs, stack frames, and thread states. If you find anything that is not related to Windows - might want to check that out. (most of the time it doesn’t work, but you should try anyways - doesn’t hurt to try!)

• Execute the lmf command: it should displays loaded modules and their associated symbols in a compact format; better than lm that I mentioned earlier.

• Consider uninstalling and installing roblox again, then generate a crash dump again

• Check for any recent software installations or updates that could have coincided with the start of the crashing issue. If so, try rolling back those changes or uninstalling the newly installed software to see if it resolves the problem.

TL;DR, join this, let roblox create a fresh crash dump, and use these commands to debug it: lmf, !analyze -v, !peb.

yeah also check if you have C:\Program Files (x86)\InfoTeCS\ViPNet CSP\Itccspbs64.Dll inside the directory, after executing !peb i spontaneously found it there, although it doesn’t do anything now since that dll was disabled way long ago, before i even got my pc

It’s better to PM Bitdancer (in this case), since they know better; all I can say is that I hope that this gets fixed soon. Goodbye for now!

5 Likes

Hi, I was told by someone who had this issue that they fixed it by disabling Riva-Tuner Statistics Server (RTSS) and/or MSI Afterburner. Not sure how much this may help you.

3 Likes

Hi thank you so much!!! I actually do have both MSI Afterburner and RTSS and tried your solution and it works!
Edit: Found a permanent solution by setting “Application detection level” to None in RTSS.

5 Likes

Adding on to this, if you’d like to have RTSS enabled for everything else, simply add RobloxPlayerBeta.exe (AppData\Local\Roblox\Versions, then pick the latest one and the executable should be in there) as a seperate application profile

5 Likes

Hello Bitdancer,

I have this issue where Roblox will randomly crash after 20ish minutes with the message “An unexpected error has occurred and Roblox needs to quit. We’re sorry!”.
I’ve already tried reinstalling Roblox, doing a clean boot, and reinstalling graphics drivers.
I’m using an 64-bit Windows 10 computer.

I’ve sent u the log and dump files in PM here

Thank you for your time.

2 Likes

Are antivirus programs like Norton , McAfee, and AVG detected as badware by Hyperion?

Anything is considered a badware by that anti-“tamper” tool.

3 Likes

Unless they are hopelessly outdated, they are not classified as badware.

Also it appears that a dump file is only generated for me when a popup appears before it crashes, but when it crashes without any warning or popups at all, it doesnt generate at all.