Script_CoreScripts/ExperienceChatMain Very Slow

It seems like a bit of work has been done on this, but all I am seeing is that Script_CoreScripts/PlayerBillboards has taken its place. Like before, this was taken on a BlackBerry KEY2.

2 Likes

switch to legacy, fixed all my issues. im making such a demanding game and yet roblox backend is still the biggest problem here- they need to sort out their stuff.

Can confirm that this is still happening on my game on all devices.

Constant FPS drops with the new TextChatService; makes it absolutely unusable and this needs to be fixed ASAP since legacy chat has started having bugs making TextChatService the only viable alternative; and in it’s current condition it’s unusable as some of my players are experiencing borderline second by second frame stutters.

5 Likes

Roblox’s complete silence here is really annoying. If this remains an issue for much longer, we’ll be reverting back to Lua chat, undoing a considerable amount of work done for the new chat system in the process.

4 Likes

Noticing times of around 5-10ms average on my phone.
The chat shouldn’t take up half of the frame time (60 fps → 17ms)…
This is a big issue.

2 Likes

Friendly reminder this is still a significant issue for many of our players making their FPS and thus our experiences feel choppy.

7 Likes

It’s been 4 months and we are still experiencing performance problems with this new chat system.

Will we get a follow up regarding this?

3 Likes

I have not encountered many bugs with the legacy chat, other than those that have been there for a while, and dragable being buggy. I also updated it to look more modern and fix some stuff (mainly dragable as I mentioned) in this topic Customized Chat, Giving a second life to the old beloved chat.

Surprisingly, the legacy chat does support automatic text translation, and I got it to work in one of my games (which involves forcing some variables, set by a FFlag, to be true, and adding a BoolValue named ChatTranslationEnabled inside a folder set to true)

The performance issue are still here:

2 Likes

Can verify, my game is still suffering as well. On a frame-by-frame basis Gunfight Arena would run twice as fast if the ExperienceChatMain and PlayerList inefficiencies were fixed.

2 Likes

Any update or ETA on when this’ll be tackled, Roblox? This is still very much an issue that has us debating whether or not we should roll back to the deprecated Lua chat system for the time being, something I’d prefer to avoid but is becoming a necessity at this point.

4 Likes

Performance issues are annoying me because chat is a feature that everyone uses and should be fixed quickly.

1st performance problem: https://youtu.be/g2VPKQUyB10
2nd Performance problem: https://youtu.be/rBgpiz0ikyA

Very simple repro

3 Likes

The “Unkown” script is ExperienceChatMain - it’s just not labelled for some reason. I can tell because it’s doing calls to GetEngineFeature and Checking Flags on Heartbeat.

It’s the main cause of lag in our game and even my PC can’t handle it. I’m thinking of disabling chat replication for far away players to try and mitigate this.

2 Likes