[archive] Sky3D | Create 3D, fast skies extremely easily

I have archived all of my topics created before 2024 due to being outdated or possibly having misinformation.

I made these when I was a lot younger and don’t think they’re very good, so I’ve gone ahead and archived them. You can still read my old topics if you want, but they won’t be of very good quality.

Archived topic

This project is no longer being maintained.

Instead, use either of these:

Skys are as limited as viewportframes so advanced lighting, beams, and many more things will not show up.

Introduction

This module lets you create 3D skies very easily, and doesn’t take away much performance at all.

What do you mean by 3D skies?

This lets you create 3D skyboxes that change based on the time, resolution, FOV, and camera position using ViewportFrames.
You can render objects that look far as less camera movement makes everything look farther.

Why would I use this?

I use it because it adds more depth in the game. Its also much easier than having to constantly upload a ton of images for 1 sky.

Features

• 3D sky
  • Many properties
  • Easy to use

Screenshots

These are only examples. You can make your sky in any way though.

Buildings

Clouds

Video

Repository

This has the releases and documentation.

End

Not really much to say here, but enjoy. Tell me in the issues of the repo if you find any bugs.

71 Likes

what do you mean by “3d skys”? a background?

oh and is it possible to apply with realism?

1 Like

I mean 3d skies by like when you move around, the sky will move a tiny bit adding some depth to the sky. The documentation has some stuff about this.

There is other things that you might want too, like how with this you actually create the sky in the game and don’t need to upload it.

Sorry if I am not explaining right, I am pretty tired and didn’t get enough sleep lmao

@k1212ss Here is a video:

I didn’t really configure the sky correctly at this time so it looks like its pretty close to the camera still, but this is just a preview. It looks better when you tweak it

5 Likes

How do I get it? I don’t know how to use github.

1 Like

When you open the repository, on the right you will see this:

This is the releases tab. Where “Assets” is, you can click the top one to download it:

Then drag the file you downloaded into the main window of Roblox Studio.

3 Likes

It just feels wierd that the clouds move with the camera, maybe try making the clouds move on their own?

1 Like

That is just an example so I didn’t put as much effort as I would normally, but you can make any sky and customize it as much as you want.

3 Likes

This is pretty cool, I might use it sometime

3 Likes

How do i change the skybox? I need to use a forest instead a city and i can’t figure out how to do it

2 Likes

So it doesn’t have to be a city, it can be anything you would like. That was just an example.

First, create the model. For your case you would do this: (it is based on 0,0,0, so create it there. Also notice how small it is)

Check out the documentation on GitHub for actually creating the script and more information.

4 Likes

will this method work for skinned meshes?

3 Likes

Anything that viewportframes support should work.

2 Likes

The update that roblox never brought :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is this supposed to happen?

The skybox looks way too dark

EDIT: It looks like changing the Ambient color to white solves this issue

4 Likes

I am not really sure, the auto lighting system I made doesn’t work well so if anyone can help me/wants to help with that please do. You can turn it off as that is a property, then you can change the viewportframe’s lighting settings.

If you are confused why the sky is kind of transparent, that is because of the atmosphere. You CAN change the GuiDistance to be lower, however it may start clipping through the ground.

Okay I updated the auto lighting, are you able to try it @Confederation_Major

4 Likes

What is the difference between this and 3DSkybox - A way to create more immersive skyboxes for your game? And why create a whole new module instead of editing the original module yourself, and asking the owner to update their module to use your version? Because currently, you’re reinventing the wheel; there’s already three modules doing the same thing, that also share similar names. It’s common practice to make pull requests or the like to a module, instead of creating a wholly new one just to add an extra feature.

6 Likes

Bookmarked! Honestly, this would be really good for a space map, as you could have distant stars and planets at different distances, colors, etc.

3 Likes

Release v1.1

Changes

• Fixed up the auto lighting system a bit. It might still not be as good as it can be, but at least it is better. I am using Roblox’s New Brightness Property for 3D GUIs. I also replaced the LightColor property with ColorShift_Top.
    If you don’t use the auto lighting, try it out now and tell me how it is. I will try to improve on it

This may take a little to be released on GitHub.

2 Likes

Not sure if this would mean anything, but mines 90 lines long while theirs is 550. Once again, I don’t know if that would mean anything different.

Also, when you go high in the sky with his module the sky starts sort of flying away but with mine it stays normal.

I agree with this, I probably should have done that instead of releasing an entire new module. I didn’t even know there was that first one, I thought it was just 3DSkybox that existed.

Anyways yeah I agree, my bad

2 Likes

Can i use moving objects and ParticleEmitters for the skybox?

1 Like