Sober - x86-64 Roblox build without Hyperion, run Roblox on Linux natively with up to twice the performance of native Windows!

Disclaimer: Sober is an experimental project. It’s a passion project rather than production-grade code. It’s not supported by Roblox and may be discontinued at any time. You’ll probably encounter bugs or instability. Note that high graphics quality levels are known to be unstable. If you’re having consistent crashes, turning down the graphics quality in Roblox’s settings might help.

After Hyperion released, Roblox support for Linux was cut off, and Wine was blocked. Millions of Linux users must dual boot into Windows to play Roblox… Until now! If you use any Linux distribution that support Flatpak, it is time to end your suffering of dual booting into Windows or embracing massive performance loss running Roblox with Waydroid!

Quite recently, Roblox has provided binaries with the x86-64 architecture for Android devices. This lead to the development of Sober, and made a native unofficial port possible, surpassing the performance of native Windows. Users have reported to reach over 1,000 FPS after changing an FFlag which allowed the FPS limit to be removed.

Keep note that Sober is not affiliated with Roblox in any way. It’s an unofficial community-made experimental project. Roblox may choose to prevent the Sober client from using their services.

Check out Sober here:
https://sober.vinegarhq.org

64 Likes

i love the name

better keep it like that

9 Likes

isn’t modifying roblox’ binaries against tos?

great release man, big ups to you!

1 Like

This is actually incredible that you made it possible to run Roblox on Linux natively! I felt sad when Roblox blocked Wine, cutting off Linux users to play Roblox and killing off projects like Grapejuice (even tho team behind Hyperion didn’t really wanted to do that).

But i do have a question. Does this unofficial build puts your Roblox account at risk when using it?

5 Likes

I’ve used this before on my old Linux machine. It works well, but as it’s using the Android APK, shadows get messed up, and a lot of features are optimized on it, which is why it’s faster than running it natively.

2 Likes

the flatpak integration is genius

2 Likes

unfortunately no matter what apk version i use, it says it is the wrong version… what gives?

5 Likes

What happens when Roblox adds Hyperion to the Android client and your modifications trip the detections?

1 Like

I think you need tape on your mouth.

Anyhow, of course it will have almost better performance than Windows, it’s because it’s essentially the Android version of Roblox.

This is a bit of a exaggeration.

“”“native”“” unofficial port you mean.

Can we have some proof of this? Or are you pulling random stuff out of the hat?

3 Likes

No it wouldn’t, unless Roblox ever decides to make Hyperion detect emulation.

1 Like

I didn’t know this existed, I’m pretty amazed.
Does it support the ppc64el architecture though?

1 Like

Yes, it does. I have personally contacted the creators of Sober, and confirmed that the ppc64el architecture is supported. :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

5 Likes

The people in charge of Sober will likely know the moment it happens.

And then they’ll decide what to do from there.

Hyperion completely changed the way that Rōblox loads on Windows. Especially with the fact that we knew about Hyperion’s introduction there some weeks prior. And RobloxPlayerBeta.dll! I think that they’ll will do something similar with Android.

2 Likes

It just seems somewhat irresponsible to me to release an application that is very likely going to get people’s accounts banned. Especially with no disclaimer in sight to use an alternate account. The project being closed-source makes it especially concerning.

4 Likes

It won’t get you banned, the team behind Hyperion would not do bans based on something that they can prevent easily, no Linux users were banned when the Wine block got reintroduced.

It’s closed-source because they do not wish for anyone to abuse it for means of exploiting, which would get the project blocked pretty fast.
I’m not sure if it’s true currently so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I’ve heard from some people that Sober has some sort of internal anti-tamper built-in to make sure that type of abuse cannot take place.

8 Likes

I see where you’re coming from, but this is placing a lot of hope on the Hyperion team and the developers of this program not accidentally triggering something they shouldn’t. I think there should at least be a disclaimer that this is playing with fire and that you are potentially putting your accounts at risk.

1 Like

CC @WaviestBalloon

2 Likes

this is cool and all but like why do we need to see the dogs

9 Likes

What’s that FFlag? The old one stopped working and only goes as high up as 240. Is there a new FFlag that handles FPS caps that i am unaware of?