Studio Design Refresh - Docking Overhaul & Ribbon Upgrade

My new Studio (this morning) looks extremely neat:

• I have the new docking guide navigation which is a huge boost <3, I hate old docking, it sucked! Also I can pin Toolbox and others for easier navigation
  • The old icons of Explorer still there
  • They probably HD (high-definition) some of the text & icons in Studio

Overally, I am extremely, extremely satisfied with this update to Studio :smiley: . Please Roblox Team don’t change the icons → blue, keep my current version (pics below). I believe other developers will love this too <3

I was added to the beta, and some immediate criticism:
Widgets do not save their positions, sizes etc when testing in a local server with a client. Rather, the widgets now use positions of the default studio layout, which is suboptimal as I do not need the explorer, properties etc for each client - only the output widget.

Besides that, it’s cumbersome that I now need to drop the widget inside the small position docking UI rather than being able to drop it anywhere on another widget, or close to a border.

Another bug I’ve noticed:
If you have several widgets stacked on one another & then close one, the tabs UI at the top still remains:

Reporting another bug :sweat_smile:
When you have multiple widgets stacked on one another & drag a widget out with its tab and then resize the widget, the second widget is suddenly placed under the one you dragged out:

we Definitely need an option to turn off the visual ui editor
we also could use a setting to switch from modern icons to classic and vice-versa
other than these two: everything’s great

Thank you for undoing this, namely the DPI issue. My studio is now back to normal. I wasn’t a huge fan of the new icons, but its super important that the DPI issue not return in a future studio update.

2 Likes

This update is a hell of a lot of bugs and glitches. Roblox Studio on my Macbook feels like it’s been trashed by a second-rate engine development team. Why can’t it be stabilized before releasing the damn update?

1 Like

Can there PLEASE be an option to disable the new docking “overhaul” its extremely annoying to work with and overcomplicated, Not to mention the literal window moving lag when you try to move a window with even just a slightly high polling rate. Yet another example of removing perfectly fine features and replacing them with an overcomplicated version with even more bugs.

You can even see in this video how far behind the window is compared to my actual mouse position

(notepad is to show what it would normally be on a window since I don’t have old studio open atm)

4 Likes

I haven’t opened Unity in six months because I’ve been focusing on Roblox, but Roblox has been doing a really bad job lately, so I opened Unity to show you how simple and easy it is to use. Hopefully the Roblox team will learn this and make Roblox better. By the way, Unity doesn’t have a built-in Script Editor, which I developed myself.

1 Like

Thanks for touching our script editor.

This was a color issue.

3 Likes

Regarding this critical issue that I’m still experiencing, there is no documentation related to adding the viewport tab back and every developer I’ve contacted does not know how they may help with my situation. I’ve tried reinstalling Roblox Studio, resetting all settings, restarting my PC, but there seems to be no help.

I find it unacceptable to phase out a huge change without any prior feedback from us developers and the aftermath has been a buggy situation. I understand that there may be more behind the scenes, but this update could’ve been executed better with more stability, feedback, and optimization.

1 Like

BRUH. EVEN WORSE! ROBLOX REMOVED THE “LEARN MORE” BOX WHEN YOU CHOOSE A SCRIPT TYPE! (eg: string)

Has someone managed to create an icon pack of the existing icons?

I made a video digging into my criticisms of the new icon pack a bit more thoroughly and comparing them to my design approaches used in Vanilla 3.

20 Likes

Issues:

• Layout and canvas size do not save on studio restarts. This is frustrating when working with a dual-monitor setup and having to spend five minutes of a short one-hour work duration to readjust it.

• On multi-screen setup (see attachment below), the docking behavior of windows on non-primary display seems to be full-screen when the main studio is windowed or set to full-screen windowed.

• Image below shows how it looks like on multi-screen setup, where the left side is primary screen, and right side is secondary screen.

• Dock size on the secondary screen seems to exceed the screen boundary on the right and bottom.

Above issues are reproduced by using two 1080p monitors, OS Windows 11 Home Insider Preview 25211. No significant docking or window issues are noted on the latest release note.

@bug-support
thank you so much roblox, now I cannot even see my game at all

5 Likes

got this update again
At least no new icons

Major complaint is that now the script editor lags if you have many long scripts open. This is intruding on my workflow and would be a reason I’d switch to VSCode / Rojo permanently.

Hopefully this gets resolved!

Unsure if I’m just missing something or if it just doesn’t exist yet, but it seems like the way to set your display size (very helpful for ui and other sizing related stuff) …

(previously found here)

I really like the updates you guys have made to Roblox studio!
One problem though: The lag while scripting (and maybe also moving through maps) is a lot.

(Note: Lag might not be noticeable inside the video.)
Before the update, scripting was okay. I have a decent IMac so PC performance should not be an issue.
Is it just my PC or is it just Roblox Studio being weird? Please let me know.

5 Likes

Make a reply here: Studio session runs incredibly choppy after selecting something on macOS Monterey (M1)

It appears that there’s plenty of MacOS users which are experiencing this issue, more people talking about it will hopefully get it fixed.

My job is currently undoable in this condition.

3 Likes