SurfaceAppearance.Color

i am on my knees begging for this feature soon, i should not have to resort to uploading the same texture with different colors just to see which fits better with my game :pray: :pray: :weary:

23 Likes

This feature is desperately needed. My game relies on SpecialMesh.VertexColor to recolor hairs for character customization. I really want to enable MeshPart heads and accessories to use newer technologies like layered clothing, but if I did that, I would have to upload tons of additional hair textures which is incredibly tedious and takes away a lot of freedom from players. Making versatile meshes with SurfaceAppearance is just too much of a hassle when a new texture is needed for every color.

SurfaceAppearance.Color use cases:

• Quickly changing the color of environmental meshes like bushes, flowers, and corals
  • Allowing players to dynamically recolor hair, clothes, and accessories
  • Creating detailed, versatile furniture or other props with just 1 color map

If SpecialMesh is already able to be tinted with VertexColor, it seems simple enough for the same functionality to be added to SurfaceAppearance. I hope this gets added.

21 Likes

This limits games like mine soooo much, where players want to morph into things, and expect to be able to use all sorts of colors to tint their morphs or pets.

I have to decide to use morphs with ‘parts and unions’ where they can color them, or use meshes where I they are stuck with a few modified textures, or use the surfaceappearance with bump, metal, and normal, but no color layer, and then I get to color the mesh, but its so bland and plastic looking. Tinting really does need to be a thing.

14 Likes

Day 822 of not being able to colorshift SurfaceAppearance, forcing me to waste texture memory.

17 Likes

Just to note. You can achieve recolorable objects by making the texture transparent, and simply recoloring the part to change what’s underneath. This doesn’t work for transparent objects like trees though.

What we need is SurfaceAppearance.Color alongside a SurfaceAppearance.ZIndex property, so we can layer cosmetics on skinned MeshParts. This is essential for the future of the platform, and would drive millions of dollars in revenue for all sorts of games, whether it’s used to layer and recolor makeup, freckles, cars, or gun skins.

Decals do NOT work to achieve this; Decals completely ignore a MeshParts UV layout. They stop rendering at 45 degree angles (noses and eyelids included), project onto behind-surfaces you don’t want, and aren’t reusable if you needed to get face paint to work on more than one head shape. Decals do actually respect the UV layout on parts that use SpecialMeshes, but SpecialMeshes don’t support PBR, skinned animations, or LOD. It would be amazing to be able to layer recolorable PBR textures onto MeshParts like this. If it’s too expensive for some reason, the textures can just be loaded at lower resolutions depending on distance/size.

23 Likes

Is nobody pushing for this internally…? This functionality is pretty essential, it’s a massive limitation.

10 Likes

Probably the most greatly ignored but most helpful addition i’ve seen yet. I’m stunned by the fact that it’s still not added. Still wasting memory and wasting human life by manually remaking colormaps just to change colours!! :yum::yum::nail_care:

6 Likes

@JoshSedai Hey, any chance you can look into this? You posted several announcements for UGC materials, and they already have this functionality. Material variants can be recolored by changing the part’s color, and they have all the same maps that a SurfaceAppearance does. This small feature would be incredibly useful and save developers so much time and hassle, and it feels like it’s going unnoticed. Thanks

9 Likes

Any luck on this! badly need this right now bumping it up!

5 Likes

It’s been 2 years and this feature is still not a thing…
What is Roblox doing :face_exhaling:

8 Likes

It’s so hard to match colors knowing the color you made outside roblox will be slightly different when imported into the studio. And when you want to match a 3d object’s color to the theme color of the game you would have to edit the base color and re-upload it. Even that makes it hard because you cannot match the color perfectly.

5 Likes

Roblox’s silence on issues with monumental support like this one is one of the reasons why the community has been losing trust in Roblox over the last 3 years. I am confident Roblox wants to do this, but there is always zero communication on the state of urgently needed features, or why they’re taking such a long time.

23 Likes

Exactly. It’s like they don’t even read feature requests. Incredibly frustrating, and it’s impossible to tell if this request (which has had support from several notable developers) is being worked on or just completely ignored. It’s one of my main gripes with the platform, simple QOL feature requests or bug reports will sit for years before getting any sort of recognition. It makes me sad just imagining how much more would get done if developers had direct communication with the teams rolling out new features like SurfaceAppearance.

7 Likes

At the very least, they could post something like.
“We are aware of this request”
and even better follow that up with

“We are not interested in adding this at this time.”
or
“This is something we are interested in adding, but it is not priority”
or
“This is something we are working on”

13 Likes

Hi everyone – wanted to follow up here. We are aware of this request and have passed it along to the relevant engine teams; hope to be able to provide a more detailed update soon.

53 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ve been waiting for this feature for an extraordinarily long time.

I’m creating a wolf RPG, however, it’s difficult to make a decent looking fur texture while still having customization options.

Materials do not utilize UV maps, which makes certain textures turn out funny.

Example:

This would look a lot better if the textures were smooth. To do this, however, you’d need to use SurfaceAppearance.

5 Likes

I should also note that we want this as well:Layer UV Mapped Textures + Change Color3 Values

The ability to do this along with changing the colour will allow for the creation of markings etc. in @iiau and I’s project, Wolfstory.

Example:

(images created with Photoshop, but the ability to layer textures onto a UV map with transparency settings and colour them would be astounding!)

7 Likes

This is something that would greatly help when dealing with foliage. If this was added, I could recolor my foliage to match different seasons with ease. It’s something that I’ve wanted for a while now.

9 Likes

Can we have an update please? When is soon? I’ve been desperate for this property for so long now and it would make so many things so much easier

6 Likes

Yes this is still very much wanted :sweat_smile:

3 Likes