SurfaceProjection object

roblox when?ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

1 Like

Bump. There is no excuse for this feature to still be missing from the platform. Make it unavailable to games on mobile for all we care.

7 Likes

Strange idea but isnt it possible to estimate a depth buffer (for mobile) using 1, maybe 3 frames, Quality would decrease with distance but up close where it matters it should be pretty close to the ground truth depth buffer, Im guessing this would be heavier on graphics memory

This microsoft research video goes pretty in depth with an AI method that would be sick but definitely way too expensive : https://youtu.be/5uMGMZ05LC4

5 Likes

bump. decals at the moment suck for detailing and these would come in handy so much it isnt even funny.

8 Likes

I’ve been impacted by the lack of this feature again. I want to apply battle damage to spaceships to visualize the damage they are taking, ranging from burn marks and full on holes that expose the interior of the ship.

I can’t do this properly unless I make my ship a literal rectangle, given that I cannot project these decals properly on a mesh. The work I would have to do to fake this effect using beams and raycasts would be much harder to do.

6 Likes

This seems like it could be of a huge use for you:

3 Likes

Source: https://twitter.com/MrChickenRocket/status/1731368755413111048

7 Likes

mrchickenrocket back at it again, doing what Roblox cant

2 Likes

From what I’ve read this was done using some clever mesh generation using Roblox new in-beta editable meshes and decals.

Pretty insane what you can do with this system, though I wonder if it performs better than what a native implementation by Roblox would be.

Yeah, the only thing I’m confused about is how they positioned the image. Then again, I never researched EditableMeshes. :thinking:

I think they first construct a mesh and make sure it aligns with whatever object it’s placed on before they UV map it so a image correctly displays on the mesh.

I think it works similar to how clothing works where they just wrap it around an object and then use texture coordinates to make it look like a decal.

Very simple and easy to do actually, just requires some knowledge on math.

1 Like

Roblox seems to be dropping support for OpenGL ES 2.0 on March 1. Hopefully that means this will be added soon.

6 Likes

Has the plugin been released? :pleading_face:

No idea, it is not me who posted that.

1 Like

Okie dokie. I wasn’t sure if you had tracked it or not lol. :sweat_smile:

It be about time they drop support for those ancient slabs.

I often feel like “mobile doesn’t support it” is like the sole reason/excuse that keeps being used for not adding a feature.
I don’t even make games for mobile, I don’t care if something doesn’t support mobile, just let me use it.

It should be the developer’s choice imo whether they want to support mobile or not so we can have more features and don’t need to wait for the newest smartslab-with-foldable-screen 9000 to support it.

Don’t make mobile games? Great! Here’s 10 more features you can use to make your game prettier and better because mobile phones no longer sit around attached to your foot like an anchor!

Make mobile games? Well, then simply don’t use those features. Very simple.

8 Likes

He’ll release it once editable meshes and images leave beta.

1 Like

They’re probably a lot more centered on catering to mobile because it’s where most of the player base and money is.

I’m well aware.

Statistically speaking

Mobile has the most users in the world.
More than PC and console combined if I’m not mistaken.

BUT

Mobile is also one of the worst platforms ever to be supporting games.

If a mobile game gets any more complex than a simple touch and swipe game or starts involving camera controls then it becomes an absolute nightmare.

I’ve played Roblox (and other games) on a mobile device, I’ve even played some first-person shooters on an mobile device.

From personal experience I can tell you they have some of the clunkiest, jankiest, worst controls I’ve ever had the displeasure of using.

I’ve played Minecraft on both an tablet and phone.
The controls are acceptable at best, it’s a perfectly playable and fun game but touch screens are absolutely horrid for controlling both movement and the camera at the same time.

For shooting games I typically criticize controllers for the fact that joysticks don’t give you that much precise control and aiming is harder than with a mouse but I’d prefer using joysticks over a touch screen for playing any game that involves 3D movement and camera controls.

The exact reason I don’t develop games for mobile is exactly because the controls are awful in every way.
The type of games I make or want to make are not optimized for mobile.

In theory you could play on mobile device, but unless you have a bluetooth controller and a high-end phone, your experience is absolutely not going to be optimal and you’ll be outclassed by players who play on console/PC for having better controls alone, that’s not even mentioning performance problems.

I’d gladly sacrifice mobile support for more features.
And I really wish Roblox would just give us a simple checkbox that can either lock or unlock features based on what platforms you want to develop on.

Both Unreal Engine and Unity which allow cross-platform game development, they both have checkboxes and settings which allow you to toggle features based on what platforms you plan to support.

Anyways, apologies if my little rant went a little off-topic.

I’m NOT saying Roblox should stop supporting mobile all-together because mobile does in fact have a very profitable player base.
But we should at least get more options and be able to decide ourselves what platforms we think are worth the effort to support and choose what we want to sacrifice or keep.

9 Likes

With roblox mobile dropping openGL ES 2.0 on march 1st and presumably moving on to 3.0, are deferred decals within engine limitations, now that creating GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT textures is possible?

8 Likes