Texture Offsets

As a Roblox developer, it’s currently too hard to make textures align across different parts, for example:

It would be nice we could specify a texture offset on Textures (and perhaps other objects with images, decals).

41 Likes

Support this feature. Much easier than having to make unions for the flooring.

2 Likes

At one point the developers said they had planned to do this, but it was probably a year ago and since then, it seems to have been deprioritized. :frowning:

4 Likes

We are currently working on a new rendering system for parts and as such can’t provide this feature - it’s simple to implement in the current system but it might be harder to implement in the new one so we’d rather finish it first. I believe this is currently in the limbo state in our API proposal list because of that.

25 Likes

Any update on this? It’s been almost 2 years since the last update and almost 3 years since it was “accepted”. I’ve been working on and off on a big project for the past year or so that heavily utilizes textures, and the lack of this feature is making it impossible to work on it any more. While manually aligning everything is an “option”, it’d take months to do that for single maps when it could be done in hours or even minutes using texture offsets.
I’ve gotten so desperate that I even tried using SurfaceGUIs with recently added imagelabel tile feature. While it worked on standard parts, I think most people would rather play a game at 60fps than 15fps.

One major problem I’m having is with unions. Unions handle textures differently than parts for whatever reason, and it’s impossible to get it to act normally without uploading a second version of a texture specifically made for unions.

With texture offsets, it’d be really easy to make textures align without going through performance hell

I think that it’d be better to add offsets and rotation for textures now than to wait another year for the new system to be complete, especially if it’s simpler to add it now. This would be really useful for a lot of people.

16 Likes

I 100% support this feature!

It’s currently impossible to have unions properly line up with other non-union objects simply because the UV maps get all messed up.

I’d take it a step further, and also add a size / position property for decal objects.

2 Likes

Was this ever implemented?

We came across a use for this recently: we need to align textures on Parts and Unions, but each one centers textures differently. Parts put the texture’s corner at the surface’s corner. Unions put the texture’s corner at the center of the union.

If we could offset textures on the Union, we could make the Part and Union textures align. It’s not reasonable to pre-make offset textures in our scenario as we’d need at least 4 variants for what might eventually by hundreds of textures.

We will either settle for misaligned textures or find a work around, but this feature would be much more efficient that any workaround we can implement.

4 Likes
5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.