There is far too much dead space on the new UIBlox-style design pages (create.roblox.com, talent.roblox.com)

As a Roblox developer, it can be quite hard to read, view and use some aspects of the new web interfaces that Roblox is releasing. These new react-based pages are clearly designed from a mobile / tablet-first perspective, which can lead to difficulty actually using them in practice.

There is a massive amount of dead space that is introduced because these UIs do not have a standard margin - if we compare the old, legacy “Create” page to the new Creator Dashboard you can understand the change:

Stats: 974px on Legacy, 1679px on UIBlox-style
This is a 72% increase in margin size

This leads to some overstretching of components to sizes that I find difficult to navigate via mouse, and it increases the eye movement required to focus on different components compared to the old sites.

For example, to change two tabs (Games → Development Items) a user has to navigate the entire width of their screen - with nearly all of that being dead space:

This is a common theme among user feedback in the announcement threads, for example:

Creations Page Public Beta 🤭 - #222 by bigcrazycarboy (link as it is very long)

It is undeniable that the new sites are aesthetically far nicer (it looks absolutely fire! :fire: - and I love the responsiveness), but the usability is hindered by the problems I have outlined above. If Roblox were to solve this problem, it would increase developer adoption of new service offerings and increase productivity for users of those applications, giving these interfaces the love and attention from users that they deserve!

46 Likes