Tommy Tallarico Sound Design Kit Now Available

You meant Erik Cassel? He was the co-founder not founder.

No way. I’m not going to pay for a 2-second sound that is the icon of Roblox and that has been here for 14 years.
Just imagine how many kids will be shocked when instead of normal oof they will hear something like ouch.

7 Likes

If they did not post it how could we all know about it? I think they should have posted it but locked the comments.

I also agree with you on the price of it. I agree this is great with the new sound effects but I know that Some developers are about 11-15 because Roblox is more targeted for the younger side of people. I know personally that as a 16 year old in the UK I know that I can’t efford to spend my money on some sound effects that I am likely to not use in a ton of games.

I do think though the quality of the sound effects are a good price but you only can use them on Roblox games that I feel is a bit unfair.

1 Like

If anyone could tell me if this is correct but looking at the post that BBC did about it they say you can buy the “oof” sound for 100 robux? Here is a link to the post if you want to read it for yourself as well.

I don’t see how Roblox couldn’t simply white list these assets and not require a upload fee on them. That would of made the situation better. Deadlocking them to be only for Roblox and unaffordable is a poor way of monetizing this attempt.

He probably looked at it and said yes $250 is cheap; which for 10K sounds is a good deal. However the upload fee is in the thousands of dollars. I’m completely sure Roblox was self aware and maybe even knew it wouldn’t be affordable for everyone.

So again, this is either an out of touch update or a slick way to make it harder for Tommy to monetize off of this stunt not knowing the real cost of using the sounds…

17 Likes

I never thought about Roblox using this as a slick way to make it harder for Tommy to monetize off of the stunt. Good point. He tries to make it look like a really good deal. It also makes me wonder if Roblox is going to give Tommy the money from people uploading the sounds to use them.

Basically him trying to make it look like a really good deal when in reality it really isn’t. It would make that especially more so if that money from people uploading those audios ended up going to Tommy. I don’t feel that is the case but it’s something to think about.

1 Like

There’s just so much Roblox could of done to not shoot themselves in the foot by announcing this the way they did. I think that’s why you’re seeing so much outrage here.

The ironic thing is, the metadata to the ‘oof’ audio doesn’t even have Tallaricos name on it. It’s under the name Joey Kuras, who he supposedly worked with to implement the sound into Messiah nearly 20 years ago. Now obviously, his claim did appear to have some legitimacy to it, as Roblox has now taken extensive action to subsidize the sound. But my questions are, why did this news originally break on a third party gaming news outlets such as VentureBeat? Why wouldn’t Roblox utilize their blog to go about something like this post instead of shilling out their updates section? Also, why the hell would they include the fact that they are adding audio packs to the developer marketplace sometime soon in this post only to make the advertised audio packs purchasable from Tallaricos website only?

I feel like if they had decided to release the new marketplace system and had Tallarico selling his audios individually for Robux on it on day zero, this might have panned out much better.

2 Likes

People using the audio would be spending Robux, and Tommy isn’t worried about Robux so it’s not likely he is getting out of it. Roblox is making you pay for the use of the moderation system and putting your request in queue so Roblox wouldn’t give any of it to him anyways.

Tommy wanted to profit from his sound, just little did he understand, this isn’t a money bags community, and using those sounds comes with an upload cost. He had no idea, Roblox did, that’s why I think this is a slick way that he just couldn’t monetize it well.

Sure, if 10 people bought it that’s $2500 but he was maybe expecting to monetize around $250,000 which requires 1000 sales of $250. Bare in mind a company employees salary can go for $5000/mo therefore, if he isn’t at least making $10,000 a month from this, it’s not exactly a financial gain.

A strong sales increase was probably projected, but the reality of the situation is it’s just pocket change. Roblox in a sense won here, if they didn’t need to pay anything, and Tommy only getting a few thousand.

Clever.

4 Likes

The blog is more for technology specific updates on the platform when they hit milestones and want to share insight of how they did something. Posting here made more sense but of course everyone knew the prices were high and the cost to upload was too.

1 Like

What is stopping someone from just purchasing the “Oof” sound and putting the sound ID out for everyone to use (would actually appreciate if some dev did that and potentially risked the “fall” for us lol).

1 Like

number 2 sounds great (probably). it’s really close to the original and also a kind of sound someone would make if their limbs fall off.

1 Like

Number 2 sounds terrible; imo Number 3 sounds like the original “oof” but someone saying it like “ooFFFFFFF”.

If we have to choose one, Number 3 would probably cause the lowest public disapproval.

What in the hell did I just hear… I didn’t expect it to be THIS bad, honestly my game might be better off with just having no death sounds at all rather than having those.

1 Like

If option 4 or 5 doesn’t get added in, BUT OPTION 1 OR 2 DOES, we riot

1 Like

No one will need to worry about the upload fees if they wait for the Developer Marketplace to have these sound kits as mentioned in the OP:

I do wonder if such assets will be whitelisted for upload/if anything will be done at all for those who have/will purchase the sound kits on Tommy’s website first, as the sounds are licensed for the Roblox platform only (as noted in the quoted post below), which would entail that having the actual audio files wouldn’t be of much use.

Okay so I’ll admit I bought one of the sound packs. Now will I have to pay 100$ to upload a few sounds to roblox? I’m confused.

3 Likes

Yes, you would have to. It is to pay for the roblox moderation of the sounds. This is just a cash grab from someone who does not know how roblox market place works

1 Like

Actually, I was just wondering. What would happen if we just copy the oof play sound now and use it in our games. Which if you test play, the oof sound which is labeled Died under HumanoidRootPart. Would we get moderation action against us if we do so like that?

Yeah, I didn’t think about that. Honestly it would be awesome if this agreement was just a slick way to keep Tommy from monetizing it well. If this is a move that Roblox pulled on purpose very carefully then it is very clever, I like your take on the situation. One of the more unique that I’ve seen. Just another way to look at it. Honestly this situation most likely won’t have a massive effect as it’s being made out to have right now. When the new market comes out anyway the oof sound can just be re-bought for 100 R$ to be re-added into games. Most developers, my self included, are probably going to do that.

But we’ll see toward the end of this month going into next month.

1 Like