Two animation issues that have gone unaddressed

Howdy developers/Roblox staff!

Today I’m taking a moment to write up this thread in the hopes that we can get some information on this topic and perhaps even get them addressed. If you’re a developer or Roblox staff and you have any insight to offer on this topic, anything is appreciated. Animations on Roblox have been around since 2014 - around 7 years now.

Priorities
In the past 7 years multiple developers both big and small have requested more animation priorities. We had 4 in 2014 and in 2021 we still only have 4. Perhaps my knowledge of the platform is limited, but wouldn’t turning this feature into a simple integer with, say, 64 or even more priorities be a simple addition? Or even just adding those to the Enum? In particular, I made this exact same thread 3 years ago when I was working on a system for my game - and in the intervening time almost nothing has happened with animations except for workspace.AnimationWeightedBlendFix and workspace.ClientAnimatorThrottling. I have linked at the bottom some other threads requesting this exact same topic be addressed. We have needed more than four and we still need more than four. Is there something going on behind the scenes that is the reason for this not being updated?

AdjustWeight
This goes hand-in-hand with the above topic, because whenever I confront this issue other developers will suggest using AdjustWeight. But AdjustWeight has known bugs regarding replication - another topic which multiple developers have requested a fix for but has not been addressed. Another bug regarding AdjustWeight which has not been addressed in years: setting AdjustWeight to 0 actually stops the animation instead of revving the weight down to zero. This bug has been encountered by quite a few developers and each of them had to find out about it the hard way after a ton of unnecessary bug testing. Compounded with the Priority issue, this puts a massive and unnecessary hinderance on animations in general.

EXAMPLES OF COMMENTS REQUESTING MORE THAN 4 PRIORITIES:

EXAMPLES OF COMMENTS MENTIONING ANIMATION WEIGHT NOT REPLICATING PROPERLY:

A lot of these threads/comments are YEARS old. The animation priority limitation to only four is a bit of a roadblock and work-arounds are required for a few of us - but AdjustWeight not properly replicating has apparently been a bug since 2016, if not earlier. Why have neither of these been addressed?

45 Likes